Players That Don't Get Press

Just Want A Title

The run-up to the combine can be pretty insane.  A lot of mock drafts tend to talk about the same guys.  I wanted to start a thread about players who aren't getting as much press but are still interesting players.  My list:

1. DE Cameron Thomas--He gets a mostly second round grades in this draft.  He is a little short-armed (33 inches) but has 10-inch hands.  Improved significantly all three years at San Diego St with 20.5 TFL and 10.5 sacks last year.  I would have no issues if we ended up selecting him in the second round if we pass on an edge-rusher in the first round.  His stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cameron-thomas-2.html

2. DT Eyioma Uwazurike--A local player and has some serious size at 6'5", 320Lbs.  He played 5-years at Iowa St and put together a 12-TFL, 9-sack final season.  I could see him being selected in the 4th or 5th round right now.  If he shows out at the combine, he could rise in a relatively thin DT class.  His stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/eyioma-uwzurike-1.html

3.  WR Alec Pierce--He has good size, good speed and averaged over 17 YPC over three seasons.  Just because he played at Cincinatti doesn't diminish those stats.  Apparently, he is pretty good at 50-50 catches as well.  It seems like he is getting pushed down the board by flashier prospects but seems like a guy who would claim a #2 WR or Marvin Jones role pretty quickly.  His stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/alec-pierce-2.html

4. LB Josh Ross--Players from a program like Michigan don't normally qualify as over-looked but that is how I would describe Josh Ross.  He came back for his 5th year and racked up 106 tackles.  It seems like he might not have been used the right way for most of his time at Michigan.  He is described as having very good instincts and was a Team Captain.  Seems like a late-developer who could be a pretty steady performer.  His stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-ross-2.html

Who are some other prospects that aren't as well know but could end up being solid players?

• Like 1

At WR, Dai'Jean Dixon from Nicholls St is my favorite sleeper.  Slightly less unknown is Wandale Robinson.  I think he will be a very good WR in the league and can be had cheaper than a top 34 pick.  

I think Kerby Joseph is my favorite S outside of Hamilton.  Brian Cook and Marquise Bell are other late round guys I like that can be an upgrade to what we have.  Pitre is another although he seems to be getting the love now so he isnt as much under the radar. 

At LB I like JoJo Doman and Jack Sanborn.  Doman is listed as a CB on some sites but he is 230 so would be a large CB.  Good for the slot and able to help in the run game. Sanborn is the sound technical player that may lack physical gifts but they are good enough to be effective.  Also pretty high on Leo Chenal, although more as an edge player than a true LB.  He is a great run defender and pass rusher so if we pass on and Edge at 3, he would be a solid get  in the second/third. 

Edge is Josh Paschal.  He has the size to play DE in our system and causes havoc in backfields.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the first two rounds. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

At WR, Dai'Jean Dixon from Nicholls St is my favorite sleeper.  Slightly less unknown is Wandale Robinson.  I think he will be a very good WR in the league and can be had cheaper than a top 34 pick.  

I think Kerby Joseph is my favorite S outside of Hamilton.  Brian Cook and Marquise Bell are other late round guys I like that can be an upgrade to what we have.  Pitre is another although he seems to be getting the love now so he isnt as much under the radar. 

At LB I like JoJo Doman and Jack Sanborn.  Doman is listed as a CB on some sites but he is 230 so would be a large CB.  Good for the slot and able to help in the run game. Sanborn is the sound technical player that may lack physical gifts but they are good enough to be effective.  Also pretty high on Leo Chenal, although more as an edge player than a true LB.  He is a great run defender and pass rusher so if we pass on and Edge at 3, he would be a solid get  in the second/third. 

Edge is Josh Paschal.  He has the size to play DE in our system and causes havoc in backfields.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the first two rounds. 

Good list. Not including the guys in my mock, I'd add HB Dameon Pierce, HB Kyren Williams, DL Philadrian Mathis, OL Luke Fortner, LB Quay Walker, LB Chad Muma, and SLWR/RS Britain Covey. I agree with OP on Alec Piece too. 

EDIT: Jermaine Johnson was the overlooked edge rusher that I loved, but he obviously has seen his stock blow up.

Edited by jrry32

• 3 weeks later...

Throughout the process of digging deeper I have found a few more guys I like.  

Eyioma Uwazurike - He has played as an edge but is 315 lbs.  Has solid sack/pressure numbers but could improve with technique.  He has been going late round in most mocks but I think with his versatility to play inside in a 4-3 and edge in a 3-4 on passing downs and Edge in a 3-4 the rest of the time gives him a boost given our scheme fluidity.  

Neil Farrell Jr - He is a pass rushing DT that struggles against the run.  Best suited for a 4-3 but is a big body with a quick first step.  Likely a rotational DT n passing downs but has the chance to develop further. 

Arnold Ebiketie - If we miss on an edge at 2, I would like to grab Ebiketie in round 2.  Great numbers at Temple and followed it up with a great year at PSU.  Has  great hands and athleticism on the edge.  Also reads plays well and is quick to diagnose the run.  

D'Marco Jackson, LB App St. - A quick LB that plays the run and pass well.  Needs to improve shedding blocks but is athletic and can add depth lost with JRM leaving for Houston.