Orleanz 2022 Saints Mock

Orleanz

18. Trevor Penning [OT; Northern Iowa]
6’7 325 lbs
Relative Athletic Score: 9.96

New Orleans looks to invest in the trenches with a first round pick for the 6th draft in a row. If the Saints are serious about giving Jameis Winston a fair shot to lead the franchise, they’ll need to improve his supporting cast. The Saints were left with a gaping hole at Left Tackle with Terron Armstead’s departure to Miami in the most recent wave of free agency. Penning is an athletic tackle for his size, and plays with a nasty attitude each and every snap. 

49. George Pickens [WR; Georgia]
6’3 195 lbs
Relative Athletic Score: 9.33

A healthy Michael Thomas should inject life into an inept Saints’ offense from 2021, but he won’t be able to do it alone. Pickens give the Saints a much needed size and speed combination at the wideout position. With the ability to take the top off of a defense and make catches in traffic, Pickens should slide right into the number two receiving role. 

98.    James Cook [RB; Georgia]
5’11 199 lbs
Relative Athletic Score: 8.7

The Saints continue to retool the offensive side of the ball. Other than Alvin Kamara, the only proven commodity in the Saints backfield is 32 year old Mark Ingram. Cook’s 4.42 speed and elite receiving skills will give the Saints backfield a much needed boost. 

101. Matthew Butler [DT; Tennessee]
6’4 297 lbs
Relative Athletic Score: 7.01 

Investing in to both the offensive and defensive line has always been a priority for Mickey Loomis and Jeff Ireland. Butler will offer solid depth and playing time in his rookie season with upside to become a starter next to David Onyemata. 

*Saints trade picks 161, 237, and a 2023 6th rounder to the Denver Broncos for pick 145

145. Charlie Kolar [TE; Iowa State]
6’6 252 lbs
Relative Athletic Score: 9.76

Adam Trautman has been a huge disappointment to this point in his career in New Orleans. The Saints desperately need a consistent safety blanket that Jameis Winston can rely on. Kolar possesses all the physical traits you would want in a starting NFL Tight End. 

Edited by Orleanz
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing us make a move on Iowa MLB Jack Campbell. He's wired a little differently, and I think he could be a solid replacement for Demario Davis as he starts to age. I'm guessing Campbell will go somewhere around the 3rd to 4th rounds, and would be a good pick for one of our compensatory pick.

I think RB is a serious position of need for us. I really think Kamara will be suspended for the 2022 season at minimum, and as you mentioned, we're paper thin at that position.

OLine, DLine, WR... we need help.