Steelers release LB Myles Jack

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Hopefully the Cardinals will be smarter with Isaiah Simmons. Dude is a poor man's Zach Cunningham at LB, a poor man's Obi Melifonwu in the slot, and a poor man's Jamal Adams at safety. He's not awful, he's just not good at anything but will very occasionally have a splash play. He busts coverage quite often though because he's kinda stiff  and really only fast in a straight line. 

Obi Melinfonwu...that's a name i've not heard in a long time.  A long time.

Thought that dude was gonna be a dope safety.

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I still like his long term potential at safety (I thought he was an easy SS type coming out) but I would pay him as a potential flyer, not as a top 10 pick on the cusp of breaking out.

I think that's the issue though.  Jamal Adams was a wildly successful safety in a similar-ish mold.  But he was allowed to just flourish there, in a particular role in a particular system.  They never tried to turn him into "everything all at once".  He could just be what he was.  A violent physical safety with some coverage ability, but a LBer mentality.

With Simmons it's like...what is he actually though?  He doesn't have that same physicality...so he's not what Jamal Adams was.  But he does have better movement skills than Adams, so maybe there's a niche there?  He's a tricky play to project.  And it's insane that these questions weren't brought up earlier back when he was being drafted.  These sort of "chess piece" players just don't really exist on defense.  They're offensive pieces that the defense then has to respond to.

Defensive guys who don't have a real "role" just end up in no man's land.  Especially when you try to develop them as a swiss army knife that isn't particularly good any one thing.