Final cuts to 53 Man Roster, pre-cut theories and post cut thoughts

JustPlainNasty

18 hours ago, August4th said:

How do you guys feel about this roster compared to recent years? feel like it's the most well-rounded since 2018

agree with your take. For me , I had lost interest in the offseason in recent years due to the way colbert was. Now it's much different.  This team has balance, depth and quality across the roster. Weaknesses were addressed and nothing was left to chance.  A mix of vets and draft picks, not just draft picks to fill needs.  

Most important is the trading away of  recent failed draft picks instead of letting them ride out their rookie deal wasting a roster spot .  Also worth noting is not resigning  former draft picks, but moving on instead. 

only real concern now is if boswell will be consistent and near his best rather than his worst. If he really has issues, will the new FO move on midseason? The 49ers have Matthew Wright now, so no idea who we would get. 

15 hours ago, DR43 said:

Could the argument be made that Omar deserves anything beyond and A thus far in his tenure?

in comparison to what we are used to, this wouldn't get an argument from me, A+ would be good. If you would have told me this is what the roster would be back in march, I would say A+. Peterson and King helps the secondary, Porter being there for us helps even more and too bad about Trice as I thought he could be a steal and still might be.  Seumalo though was the real steal IMO.  Or was it A-Rob, or trading Green and dotson for future picks. I really liked the dotson trade with a bad team and how the swapped picks will be used.  

If colbert was here, we would still have dotson, edmunds starting, allen, and perhaps jackson and witherspoon.  Oh, lets not forget bush!    aren't we glad to (almost) forget about bush - look at how the ILB room has been overhauled in 1 season.  

14 hours ago, August4th said:

I need to see the team in action before I can grade him and this new FO...I do feel good about him tho

normally I would see it the same way. It seems so much better hence the post. Preseason is just that but the team looked so much better than last year.

On 8/31/2023 at 10:35 AM, August4th said:

How do you guys feel about this roster compared to recent years? feel like it's the most well-rounded since 2018

Short term

- LT or LG; C (some combination of Moore, Jones, and draft pick) with Seumalo at right guard

- Chuks and Daniels not a lot of juice for that squeeze

- Cole is really a glorified Mahan. Sedrick Van Pran is a guy with good movement at the center position, which opens up a lot of interesting concepts. Think Dirt Dawson.

D Line

- Turning over slowly but still lacking a stud to rely on for big time minutes

- Aaron Donald. Nicely timed 3-4 years to buy time at the position that fills a need and gives guys time to develop and allows you to see how much you need to invest. Without having to show your cards and read em and weep  

- Let Foot boy go. That's you, Larry O once you get a decent replacement. Somewhat of the Chuks patchwork for the OL

Inside 

- Nothing you want to hold onto. A nice stucco patch I suppose. 220 pound guys can do this role if you can control the line, so it's somewhat of a wildcard

Outside

- Couple of studs with a young versatile linebacker that could be the wildcard on the inside 

DBs

- One good safety or one more good CB, and this is a good starting group. A good nickel would be gravy. This is without considering P2 anything but a savvy veteran

QB

- Meh. Pickett is a Dilfer. And that's winnable if you are great elsewhere and he manages the game.

RB

- Good starter. Good backup. 3rd guy meh. Spot to trade a backup and recoup capital.

FB

- Heyward needs a good OC to get the most out of him. Like Jusczyk for the Ravens and then 49ers. Like an OC that gameplans 4-5 plays a game or can see there are opportunities during the game and we'll go to Heyward. Outside of that, you're whistling dixie and living in nepotism

WR

- Pickens is a top 10 WR. DJ is a top 20. Don't really have that kinda guy that can push the ball vertically and horizontally and really dictate pace and tempo. With a more truncated and limited focus, we can splash it around and not really maximize their capabilities. A Rob was good, not sure know. Austin I like on special teams and we'll see what kind of gadgetry Canada can cook up. Not optimistic at all.

DJ is movable at the right price, which I would keep very low to get him off the books. Unless he has a career year.

TE

- Muth is looking like a Greg Olsen type. Washington could end up being better than him. That's deep enough. The Steelers have trouble getting the ball to one tight end let alone two.

I'd rank it DB or OL first, WR 2nd, DL 3rd, and then it goes on down. We need more picks to really put a strangle on that need for DB and OL. We gotta knock them both out once and for all.

The 11 DBs is one too many. My cut would be Keanu Neal. What he brings and what he lacks is covered by other guys on the team.

Kwon Alexander is first up as the undersized linebacker, dimebacker, etc. Yanno in that Mark Barron #26 type role. He's backup to him there. Even then, we have a slew of guys, as well as Herbig, not even in a pinch, but probably as our best blitzing linebacker 

At safety, I prefer Kazee as a headsy player, and I discount the boomer at safety with modern sarcastaball. I like PP as a guy who can fill the role of safety in lieu of injury as first man up.

Then you got Elijah Riley as a guy who can contribute on special teams in a Chidi Iwuowa type role with of course Killebrew manning the fort.

I think other guys are more valuable than him on game day, and if I'm not giving him a hat on gameday, because he's not going to play special teams, I'm content with cutting him.

For whom? Best available. Make a move. Fortify the squad near and long term focus. Aaron Donald. Najee is a great fit there, not only bc they have no back, but because he's a good back for 11 personnel to pair with Stafford on stretches, given his size and athleticism, to also pick up a man on PA. (playaction)

The Desmond King signing throws a wrench in this. Now you got three slots, and he's backup punt returner. Gunner made a headsy move, in all likelihood, taking less in salary in exchange for guaranteed salary and a roster spot, bc he was first head to roll.

That leaves Mr. Neal.