Week 2 thoughts

Mid Iowa

As we progress through the season, I'd like us to make some comments on how we're feeling week to week.

I missed last nights game as I was traveling back from Iceland, so I've only seen the highlights.

O-line continued to look weak, and not creating a pocket. Our receivers have some hands, which is great, and our defense continues to perform well.

What do you have?

-The defensive line rebuild looks like it worked for the most part. I don't think they're a Top 5 unit in the league, but certainly a Top 10 unit if they continue to produce like this. Our DTs are actually getting pressure for a change and Breese also had another strong game.

-I think the offensive line played a lot better this game compared to last game. Still shakey and they did improve as the game went on, but Carolina called a great game. Well timed stunts and good disguises that got Carr to hold the ball a split second longer than he should've. 

-Carr looked bad in the first half. Even when he did have a pocket and time he still made bad decisions and poor throws. Not sure how much of that is Carolina calling a great game or Carr just not being good on the road and uncomfortable still in the offense. That being said, he was solid in the 2nd half. Despite how average he's looked these first two weeks, his clutch throws have us 2-0. We're not 2-0 with Winston or Dalton.

-Our WRs are great. What a great trio have. MT catches everything contested still and he should slowly get more comfortable the more reps he gets (Please stay healthy). Olave is a superstar and Shaheed is the extra speed element we've been missing in this offense for years. Would love to see more from Johnson though.

-Taysom was the MVP of this game. He averaged like 8 yards per carry and gave us some clutch 1st downs that we desperately needed.

-Our secondary is outstanding. Taylor is looking more and more comfortable with the SCB role and Lattimore is absolutely lockdown. Adebo needs to stop being so damn grabby, but other than that they've been about as good as you could hope for.

Kamara is going to be an incredible boost to this offense once he's back from suspension. We need a dynamic weapon out of the backfield that actually draws the defenses attention. It'll open up a lot more for everyone else. 

TLDR; Offense still needs work, but you can see the potential. Defense has been amazing.

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue right now is the OL, not just because they arent blocking for Carr but we are leaving our HBs in to block at an insanely high rate which costs Carr all his check down opportunities. I think a big reason he's taking sacks or throwing it away is there isn't any option for him to check it down too. I hope Carmichael makes an adjustment in this aspect. 

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

I'm anxious for week 4 with Kamara back in, and hopefully our RB stable is all healthy. Just look at our RB room!! And Tony Jones Jr. had a game for the ages, so good for him!

I'm hearing ya'll loud & clear about the O-line. I know some things take time with timing and continuity, and we're still only 2 games in with a brand new QB at the helm, 3 new RBs, and a few new TEs. It'll take it a while to click, but I believe they'll get it fairly soon.

On a side note, we may be seeing just how damn good Brees was for Sean Payton. Payton frustrated the heck out of me many years in a row, and I was glad to see a change at the HC. He got what he wanted in Denver, and he's lost his first 2 games to teams they shouldn't have lost to.

Yes, I'm salty, and he's our competition now, so there.

Not really salty about Payton, personally. He gave us 15 great years and our first-ever (and so far only) Super Bowl in his tenure. Plus we got a 1st and a 2nd out of him which is more than most can say about losing a coach of all things. I don't wish any ill-will on his Denver tenure, aside from wanting that 2nd round pick this year to be as high as possible. 

As for our team, defense looks as good as always, possibly even better. OL has to pick it up, and if they do our potential to win double digit games is very realistically achievable. Hell, with how the defense is playing it might be even if the OL keeps struggling, lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Not really salty about Payton, personally. He gave us 15 great years and our first-ever (and so far only) Super Bowl in his tenure. Plus we got a 1st and a 2nd out of him which is more than most can say about losing a coach of all things. I don't wish any ill-will on his Denver tenure, aside from wanting that 2nd round pick this year to be as high as possible. 

Yeah, I'm not wishing him ill will, just pointing out how good Brees was for his career (and likely vice versa). There's always a combination to winning, it's never just 1 guy. At the end of the day, I'm quite happy with the haul we got for him when he was literally doing nothing for us, so that's great. 

17 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

On a side note, we may be seeing just how damn good Brees was for Sean Payton. Payton frustrated the heck out of me many years in a row, and I was glad to see a change at the HC. He got what he wanted in Denver, and he's lost his first 2 games to teams they shouldn't have lost to.

Yes, I'm salty, and he's our competition now, so there.

We have their 2nd round pick this year. I'm rooting against him all year. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, I'm not wishing him ill will, just pointing out how good Brees was for his career (and likely vice versa). There's always a combination to winning, it's never just 1 guy. At the end of the day, I'm quite happy with the haul we got for him when he was literally doing nothing for us, so that's great. 

Bresee looks like a great pick so far. If we can snag another quality player with the 2nd we get from them it would be quite the haul for a guy who was never going to coach for us again.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 11:00 AM, JMG5 said:

Bresee looks like a great pick so far. If we can snag another quality player with the 2nd we get from them it would be quite the haul for a guy who was never going to coach for us again.

Absolutely!!

I have a new conspiracy theory. Sean Payton is tanking the Broncos for the 1st pick and Caleb Williams. Russell Wilson wasn't his pick, and I don't think they even get along. Sean has gone as far as blaming a loss on Wilson.