QB controversey

Rtnldave

On 10/13/2023 at 8:17 PM, Rtnldave said:

I appreciate how much effort you put into this post. But I will address one point that makes everything else mute.

It isn't "One bad loss." This is the same team that ended our season 2 years in a row. And from what I saw, we haven't come close to solving them. 

Not only that, but the idea that we have to change our offense to protect our QB is only inviting defenses to come after us. 

And it isn't "One bad loss," it's our 2nd in 3 games.

Even our number 1 WR is starting to grumble publicly. 

What Cee Dee and others are saying is Dak Prescott is holding this team back.

If you can't see that, then I believe that you either have an inhuman amount of patience, or you are stubborn as the dumbest jackass.

But is the QB the reason we were eliminated by this team, or is the quality of the other team and it's staff the reason?

Shannahan and his staff has extended into several other teams that are starting to look pretty good as well.

Purdy is probably the best young QB in the league, playing arguably on a.higher level than Lawrence and other top prospects.

The OL is dominant and extremely well coordinated in how they pass off rushers and defenders in a zone blocking scheme that is very hard to execute on the level they execute it 

Their DL is deep, and probably the single strongest - physically strongest - DL units in the conference, but still has the speed and get off to beat teams with speed as well.

Greenlaw and Warner are on the level of Briggs and Urlacher, which was a hall of Fame duo.

McCaffrey is so dynamic, but so are their two outside receivers - all three could play inside or outside receiver, or running back, and probably also line up as safeties and still be all pros.

They eliminate our ground game with speed at LB. They harass Dak by literally shoving our own Martin, Biadasz and Tyler (supposed to be a strength of this team, the interior OL) into Dak's face. They erase our top receiver with press man coverage and a zone safety over it. No other receivers step up. They abuse the zone coverage of our secondary by running route concepts that pull the inside zones to the outside of their area of defense, knowing our linebackers are incapable of defending Aiyuk, Kittle and Deebo over the middle. They protect Purdy by U-block concepts around Parsons and no other DL steps up to plaster purdy into the turf. How is that all Dak's fault?

I'm not saying Dak played well. But NO ONE did. Not a single aspect of the team helped Dak. Neither did the coaching staff.

Dak threw bad picks to end the game when it was basically try or die, and the try went bad. But it was the TEAM, his and theirs, that put him in that position...

If the losses were clearly all on the QB idnsay, well, ok then. But it isn't 

And the niners losing the Browns on that missed FG proves what I've been saying--that good teams still lose. Ball sails wrong, bounces the right way. Good player slips or looks the wrong direction. Coach makes a bad play call at the most imperfect of time...and a great team loses to a bad team. It happens every week and it's why the NFL is so freaking awesome.

On 10/14/2023 at 1:39 PM, Rtnldave said:

Chris Collinsworth said it on SNF that McCarthy designed an offense to protect Prescott from committing turnovers. It does NOT push the ball up the field, 

Now, if your HC has to design an offense to protect your starting QB, what does that tell the opposing DC?

Stats aside, Prescott does NOT see the field, he misses wide open WRs, his accuracy is questionable, he hesitates-which leads to turnovers, and he has lost a step when running. 

He has underachieved so far this year and the schedule only gets harder.

You know what, forget all of that. Try this, imagine Dak Prescott in any game coming up. Can you really hear the announcer say these words, "Dak is really slinging it around tonight. He's hit 5 different recievers, The defense is on its heels, etc,etc,etc." Or something to that effect.

All I keep hearing is about how he is trying to clean up the turnovers, get the ball to Cee Dee, score TDs in the red zone, etc.

These ARE NOT the types of comments you would like to hear about you starting QB in a game.

So yay stats! But our QB scares only 1 team, his own fan base, present company excluded. So with that said, im willing to forego the obligatory 10-12 win season, only to got stomped on in the playoffs because or QB cannot win in those situations.

All we have then is another mid round pick and we will take another Mazi Smith and Schoonmaker.

No thanks. I want to see what Lance has.

To the first paragraph...

He overcompensated for what Moore was doing. Moore wanted shots to the head and gashes to the jugular. While MM wants to slide out your Achilles, attack the knees hit you with a gut punch, then finally drill it home...for a graphic analogy. 

MM method is proven to work. Mastering that simple stuff is how Brady and Bill won all them damn rings. But your team has to master the simple stuff before it works. This team clearly hasn't. 

As for protecting Dak from his quirks. Wellz that's what a good coach does. You think it was a coincidence that Tom Moore ran more 2 wide offense than any other team in the league with Peyton under center? No. He knew the more 3 and 4 wife he ran, the more he exposed Peytons lack of pocket manipulation and mobility. He needed that extra protection. You think it was by chance Bill Walsh kept his running backs going out on routes right in front of Montana? No. He knew Montana would be a pick machine if he didn't have an outlet right in front of him because while accurate as hell, he actually struggled with anticipation throws. If he didn't see it open right away, he needed a fast outlet to dump to.

It'd be a different story if the team lost because the passing game was bad. But the team keeps losing to Shanahan because the entire team is playing bad. If the defense was being dominant, if the run game was lively, if the protection was holding, but Dak was just flopping like a fish out of water, I'd be all for pulling him. But he wasn't the only issue out there.

I'd pull the plug on MM before I pull it on Dak, at least right now.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

But is the QB the reason we were eliminated by this team, or is the quality of the other team and it's staff the reason?

Shannahan and his staff has extended into several other teams that are starting to look pretty good as well.

Purdy is probably the best young QB in the league, playing arguably on a.higher level than Lawrence and other top prospects.

The OL is dominant and extremely well coordinated in how they pass off rushers and defenders in a zone blocking scheme that is very hard to execute on the level they execute it 

Their DL is deep, and probably the single strongest - physically strongest - DL units in the conference, but still has the speed and get off to beat teams with speed as well.

Greenlaw and Warner are on the level of Briggs and Urlacher, which was a hall of Fame duo.

McCaffrey is so dynamic, but so are their two outside receivers - all three could play inside or outside receiver, or running back, and probably also line up as safeties and still be all pros.

They eliminate our ground game with speed at LB. They harass Dak by literally shoving our own Martin, Biadasz and Tyler (supposed to be a strength of this team, the interior OL) into Dak's face. They erase our top receiver with press man coverage and a zone safety over it. No other receivers step up. They abuse the zone coverage of our secondary by running route concepts that pull the inside zones to the outside of their area of defense, knowing our linebackers are incapable of defending Aiyuk, Kittle and Deebo over the middle. They protect Purdy by U-block concepts around Parsons and no other DL steps up to plaster purdy into the turf. How is that all Dak's fault?

I'm not saying Dak played well. But NO ONE did. Not a single aspect of the team helped Dak. Neither did the coaching staff.

Dak threw bad picks to end the game when it was basically try or die, and the try went bad. But it was the TEAM, his and theirs, that put him in that position...

If the losses were clearly all on the QB idnsay, well, ok then. But it isn't 

And the niners losing the Browns on that missed FG proves what I've been saying--that good teams still lose. Ball sails wrong, bounces the right way. Good player slips or looks the wrong direction. Coach makes a bad play call at the most imperfect of time...and a great team loses to a bad team. It happens every week and it's why the NFL is so freaking awesome.

All I know is I saw 4 plays that were errors on Daks part.

1. The INT to Lamb just before the half. If we scored, even a FG, we got the ball back to start the 3rd quarter. A good HC and QB sees this as a chance to go up 2 scores and force them to play catch up against our D.

As it was, Dak was late on his delivery, SF jumped the route and turned the tables.

2. Deep pass to Lamb. Even though he connected and PI wad called, if that ball is out in front of Lamb, thats a TD. 

3. The very next play. Hilton was as wide open as a guy could be in the seam. Dak had no intention of looking that way. He locked in on Lamb and threw an incomplete into double coverage.

4. Desperation time. 4th quarter, backed up inside our 10. Gallup got passed the defense. Even if he doesnt score, he sets us up at midfield.

Dak threw a wounded duck. Even if he put that ball inside the hashmarks, Gallup has a shot at it. Dak threw it outside the hashmarks giving him zero shot.

In a game of that magnitude, the plays were there to be made and win. Our QB simply didn't make them.