2024 Off-Season Official Visits/Rumors/Reports

On 3/18/2024 at 11:13 AM, Soko said:

Big Mike staying at RT, where he was actually better last year. Big news, filling one tackle spot is a hell of a lot less daunting than two.

So they're obviously planning on doing their building through the draft.  Does FA give you any feeling about which positions they might prioritize in round one and two?  

I think most people would agree that QB, WR and T are probably their 3 biggest needs, and wouldn't be surprised if they fill each in the first 3 rounds in some order.  Even with that being the case, however, it's tough to get a feel as to which position they'd consider higher priority.  I personally think QB will be #3, but wonder if the failed attempt at Ridley means WR will be prioritized in the early second.  It didn't seem like they were ever really in on any of the bigger FA tackles.  With Onwenu slated to  play more RT, I wonder if their more confident with Okorafor at LT than most of us would have thought.  I know it's a deep tackle class but risky to think that they can get a day one starting LT in the 3rd round.

6 hours ago, prob2236 said:

So they're obviously planning on doing their building through the draft.  Does FA give you any feeling about which positions they might prioritize in round one and two?  

I think most people would agree that QB, WR and T are probably their 3 biggest needs, and wouldn't be surprised if they fill each in the first 3 rounds in some order.  Even with that being the case, however, it's tough to get a feel as to which position they'd consider higher priority.  I personally think QB will be #3, but wonder if the failed attempt at Ridley means WR will be prioritized in the early second.  It didn't seem like they were ever really in on any of the bigger FA tackles.  With Onwenu slated to  play more RT, I wonder if they’re more confident with Okorafor at LT than most of us would have thought.  I know it's a deep tackle class but risky to think that they can get a day one starting LT in the 3rd round.

Personally, I’d prioritize WR and QB over LT, strictly because I think there are still passable LTs on the market. I’ve been clear how I feel about Leno. Donovan Smith or a guy like Andrus Peat (who would come cheap) are pretty underwhelming, but I think you could hide tackle more than you could hide lacking a true receiving threat. JMO. 

Who they draft and in which order may not also be a direct, sole indication of how they value the positions…this clearly won’t happen, but let’s just say NE goes QB at 3, and by the time round 2 runs around, Olu is still sitting there. You might value WR1 more than T, but Olu at that spot would be impossible to pass on. It has as much to do with who’s available as it does positional priority. It really seems like the team’s willing to build the team the “right” way and aren’t dying for instant results. They’re willing to be patient. So if we assume that’s true, I think the draft will be more about “we like this guy” more than “we need this position”. 

8 hours ago, prob2236 said:

I know it's a deep tackle class but risky to think that they can get a day one starting LT in the 3rd round.

No way in heck that happens, way to late. 2nd rd is a gamble as well.  That is my major concern, LT.

I still don't see/like Maye. My thoughts what the BIG difference between him and Bo Nix. I'm not saying i'm a fan of Bo however what make Maye so much better, i don't see it. Please don't tell me size, I could care less.

I hear all the draft Bucky's praising Maye but remember they know as much as we do !!! Fact, their mocks fail year after year.

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

No way in heck that happens, way to late. 2nd rd is a gamble as well.  That is my major concern, LT.

I still don't see/like Maye. My thoughts what the BIG difference between him and Bo Nix. I'm not saying i'm a fan of Bo however what make Maye so much better, i don't see it. Please don't tell me size, I could care less.

I hear all the draft Bucky's praising Maye but remember they know as much as we do !!! Fact, their mocks fail year after year.

I mean the difference between Maye and Nix is 3 years, 3 inches and improved passing skill across the board.  I mean, I get that people don't like Maye but I definitely don't look at Maye and Nix and think "what's the difference."  I'm out on Nix.  

8 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

3 years, 3 inches and improved passing skill across the board. 

This what Buckys have told you, over and over.

I don't know how good they are as QBs but I have watched tape mostly on Maye and what I see is not impressive. He make HS mistakes head scratching decision. I have seen these QBs for year and the BS that they can change with coaching it a joke.

Think about this,  he still can't set his feet for a 10 yard out !!!! My son played QB in school and this was the first thing he was taught.  We talking footballs 101 skills with the 3rd pick in the NFL !!!! You might not see it as a problem, but its major to me.

The Buckys said the QB in the past were the next stars look at Wilson, Lance, Fields, Tribisky, Young.  They say the same things every draft, some turn out  to be stars, most is just bull crap  . They throw it at the wall every year and see what sticks, they have no real knowledge. They just pass on talk from media.

I don't see any that's worth a 3rd pick.

22 hours ago, m haynes said:

This what Buckys have told you, over and over.

I don't know how good they are as QBs but I have watched tape mostly on Maye and what I see is not impressive. He make HS mistakes head scratching decision. I have seen these QBs for year and the BS that they can change with coaching it a joke.

Think about this,  he still can't set his feet for a 10 yard out !!!! My son played QB in school and this was the first thing he was taught.  We talking footballs 101 skills with the 3rd pick in the NFL !!!! You might not see it as a problem, but its major to me.

The Buckys said the QB in the past were the next stars look at Wilson, Lance, Fields, Tribisky, Young.  They say the same things every draft, some turn out  to be stars, most is just bull crap  . They throw it at the wall every year and see what sticks, they have no real knowledge. They just pass on talk from media.

I don't see any that's worth a 3rd pick.

The problem with Maye is that he's been in that spotlight for two years and is now in that cycle where every element of his tape is getting picked apart.  I get that there are things on Maye that people don't like, but your the second person that I've seen commenting on Maye as if there's nothing to like if you've ever watched his tape.  Scouts and GM are paid millions of dollars to pour over tape and at the end of the day Maye will still be seen as worthy of a top 5 pick.  There not missing obvious things that you aren't, but let's be real you haven't watched every pass by Maye in the last two years.  You're seeing the good highlights and now they're focusing on the bad highlights and your just getting pushed one way or another.  There's a reason Maye has been a top 3 pick for two years in a draft with elite tackles, DE and Wr.  It's not because he sucks and all the scouts are just blind.

34 minutes ago, prob2236 said:

The problem with Maye is that he's been in that spotlight for two years and is now in that cycle where every element of his tape is getting picked apart.  I get that there are things on Maye that people don't like, but your the second person that I've seen commenting on Maye as if there's nothing to like if you've ever watched his tape.  Scouts and GM are paid millions of dollars to pour over tape and at the end of the day Maye will still be seen as worthy of a top 5 pick.  There not missing obvious things that you aren't, but let's be real you haven't watched every pass by Maye in the last two years.  You're seeing the good highlights and now they're focusing on the bad highlights and your just getting pushed one way or another.  There's a reason Maye has been a top 3 pick for two years in a draft with elite tackles, DE and Wr.  It's not because he sucks and all the scouts are just blind.

Scouts and GMs are paid millions and still the Trey Lance, Zac Wilson, JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf...etc get picked. I am not saying that Maye is a bust but because so called experts think he is good doesn't guarantee anything. There are more misses than hits in the draft. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jofos said:

Scouts and GMs are paid millions and still the Trey Lance, Zac Wilson, JaMarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf...etc get picked. I am not saying that Maye is a bust but because so called experts think he is good doesn't guarantee anything. There are more misses than hits in the draft. 

Of course, you're dead on about that.  The list of "future greats" who flopped is longer than the list of those who made it.  If you're not sold on Maye than you're not sold on him, a lot of people aren't.  But the people down on him seem to be down on him for, in my opinion, bad reasons.  There's the "Don't draft an ACC qb narrative."  Everyone seems to think he's the next Trubisky, which is really just a veiled "no UNC QBs" take.  Then there are the people who go with your line of thought that "More qbs fail then they do succeed, so just don't draft a QB because of that."  Now it seems like there are people coming out of the woodwork making it sound like there is absolutely 0 to like about Maye.  He can't throw, hes never had a good game, he's always been over rated, and I'm just not buying it. 

The issues that I have with Maye is that he seems to have wierd plays where one minute he can hit a dime thrown in the air 30yds down field, but the next play can't hit a wide open RB on a 10 yd screen.

But regardless, he is an excellent prospect who checks a ton of boxes.  Strong arm- check, deep ball accuracy- check, physical size- check.  He's not Jayden Daniels athletically but he can get out of the pocket move when he needs to.  And something that I don't think is factored in enough, he's only 21.  He's the youngest QB in this class.  

Kurt Warner made a comment that made a lot of sense.  In a nut shell he said QBs are incredibly difficult to evaluate because essentially none of them are good enough to be effective NFL qbs on the day you draft them.  You're trying to evaluate whether or not the kid shows enough raw skill, dedication to the craft and potential to be the guy that you want him to be 3 years down the road.  6th round draftee Tom Brady wasn't "GOAT" Tom Brady for probably 4 or 5 years into his career.  And that's why so many projections go wrong at that position.  I have a better feeling that at 21 Mayes potential for growth is much higher than most of the others.  Penix right now might be the best passer of the class, but he's a month away from turning 24.  How close is Penix to his ceiling, already?  Same thing with Bo Nix.  Those guys have skill, but is their margin for growth a lot smaller?  I think so.  I love Maye as a prospect and think that drafting him, sitting him, and not forcing him into situations until he's ready could turn this kid into a special QB.

16 hours ago, prob2236 said:

spotlight for two years and is now in that cycle where every element of his tape is getting picked apart. 

That quote has been said every year since Kiper started the draft shows. Its a excuse for the Bucky to justify their so call knowledge. I watched tape on him and now the crap is finally coming out. I have seen a lot over the years and you have to block out the noise.  

Side note  I have been a draft junky before Mel Kiper and computers. I started listening for Giants picks AM radio. Pats were so bad the Giant was the team for most !!!!!  Crazy.  I started buying magazines to get draft info with my paper route money !!!!!  I'm old as dirt , LOL.

Maye as if there's nothing to like

No that's not true. He looks good in measurable but it the risk factor I judge. I see his game. Will it translate to the NFL. Also this is a can't miss pick the tea,m is so bad they can't risk missing. I look at the team when we take 3rd pick.

IMO the safest pick at three is  (William is he fell.) MHJ, Joe ALT and Malik Nabers. I think Alt is the best choice. LT is the 2nd most important position on the field.

Scouts and GM are paid millions of dollars to pour over tape and at the end of the day Maye will still be seen as worthy of a top 5 pick. 

See Mac draft year. There a lot of wasted money paid to idiot GMs and scouts.

16 hours ago, jofos said:

16 hours ago, jofos said:

GM poster boys fired GM fools. Matt Millen and Dave Gettleman.

Of course Alt is a safer pick, but if you draft based on safety then you'll never draft a QB ever.  

Going back to my most recent post, how much stock do you put in a players age when looking at Qbs, because that's a big factor with this year's class.  Penix might be the best pure passer in this class but he's going to be 24 in a month and a half while Drake Maye is still on 21.  If trying to project how much growth a player has once exposed to NFL game then age becomes a major factor.  

Look I'm not trying to tell you that Drake Maye is a sure fire pick by any means.  But the Pat's are taking a QB at or between picks 3 and 34.  Maye represents a young prospect, with plenty of room to grow, and all the physical tools needed to be a successful NFL QB.  Pick apart his footwork, decision making, etc. But if Drake Maye doesn't make it in the NFL it won't be because he wasn't physically capable of being an NFL qb.  It's a risk. Yes of course, but the potential payoff for hitting is well worth the #3 overall pick.  

FA has died down. Here are some guys I’d still like to see:

Tyler Boyd, WR - Still available, which is surprising, because I think he’s a versatile WR2. Does a bit of everything, although probably excels in the short/intermediate. He might be redundant with Bourne, JJSS (who I’m hoping doesn’t find himself atop the depth chart come Week 1), and now Born. It also does muddy the depth chart up should NE draft a legit WRnow Osborn, but I still believe he’d be the team’s best receiver if he was added.

Justin Simmons, FS - Another guy I’m surprised is still sitting around, unsigned. Might not be in his prime anymore, but on a short deal, I’d love to bring in another quality DB.

Julian Blackmon, FS - Another S, better in the back end and younger, if the team wanted to go ab alternate route to Simmons, sign me up. 

Stephon Gilmore, CB - Gone are the days of Gilly Lock winning DPOY, but he had a great year in Dallas. His age did show at times, but I think the team needs another boundary corner. The top 3 CBs can all play the slot, Gonzo can obviously play the boundary, and Jon Jones can as well, but adding another starting caliber CB to this secondary might bring us back to the days where the team had 4 corners capable of playing all over.

Mike Danna, DE - Quietly a really solid DE for KC. He’d fit a rotation of Judon, Wise, White, Uche, and Jennings on the edge.

Charles Leno, LT - Been beating this guy’s drum, so I’ll keep it brief. If he heals I know from his hip surgery, he’s a plug-and-play LT. Just what the doctor ordered.

Connor Williams, IOL - He’s recovering from a torn ACL, but if he’s given the green light, then Williams is someone I could see supplanting Strange/Sow or even Andrews at C in 2025. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

FA has died down. Here are some guys I’d still like to see:

Tyler Boyd, WR - Still available, which is surprising, because I think he’s a versatile WR2. Does a bit of everything, although probably excels in the short/intermediate. He might be redundant with Bourne, JJSS (who I’m hoping doesn’t find himself atop the depth chart come Week 1), and now Born. It also does muddy the depth chart up should NE draft a legit WRnow Osborn, but I still believe he’d be the team’s best receiver if he was added.

Justin Simmons, FS - Another guy I’m surprised is still sitting around, unsigned. Might not be in his prime anymore, but on a short deal, I’d love to bring in another quality DB.

Julian Blackmon, FS - Another S, better in the back end and younger, if the team wanted to go ab alternate route to Simmons, sign me up. 

Stephon Gilmore, CB - Gone are the days of Gilly Lock winning DPOY, but he had a great year in Dallas. His age did show at times, but I think the team needs another boundary corner. The top 3 CBs can all play the slot, Gonzo can obviously play the boundary, and Jon Jones can as well, but adding another starting caliber CB to this secondary might bring us back to the days where the team had 4 corners capable of playing all over.

Mike Danna, DE - Quietly a really solid DE for KC. He’d fit a rotation of Judon, Wise, White, Uche, and Jennings on the edge.

Charles Leno, LT - Been beating this guy’s drum, so I’ll keep it brief. If he heals I know from his hip surgery, he’s a plug-and-play LT. Just what the doctor ordered.

Connor Williams, IOL - He’s recovering from a torn ACL, but if he’s given the green light, then Williams is someone I could see supplanting Strange/Sow or even Andrews at C in 2025. 

I’d like to see them sign Makhi Becton

6 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I’d like to see them sign Makhi Becton

Dude’s oft injured, played in less than 2 out of his 4 seasons, and was pretty awful last year. 18 penalties and 12 sacks allowed. 

If he was brought in as anything other than Tyrone Wheatley level expendable roster fodder, then I’d be pretty disappointed. 

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Dude’s oft injured, played in less than 2 out of his 4 seasons, and was pretty awful last year. 18 penalties and 12 sacks allowed. 

If he was brought in as anything other than Tyrone Wheatley level expendable roster fodder, then I’d be pretty disappointed. 

He was doing well on the side he was put at all summer and then was forced to the opposite side because of Jets injuries. The he got injured, came back playing injured and thats when he sucked. Prior to he was solid.

I like it as a one year young reclamation project who can can potentially compete to start with a day 2 rookie.