Chiefs Sign Chris Jones

16 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Damn, 95 GTD and taking him to 35, can’t wait to see this breakdown.

I'm betting there's some backloading, and probably some rolling guarantees like the Mahomes contract (2027 salary guarantees in 2026, that kind of thing), to get both of those numbers up. First report typically comes from the agent, so it's normally the most....player friendly....description of the deal. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Tyreek kind of thing, where sure, he makes $30M per year, but $45M is in the last year of the deal and completely non-guaranteed.

Especially since it's a 5 year deal. That's longer than anyone predicted.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm betting there's some backloading, and probably some rolling guarantees like the Mahomes contract (2027 salary guarantees in 2026, that kind of thing), to get both of those numbers up. First report typically comes from the agent, so it's normally the most....player friendly....description of the deal. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Tyreek kind of thing, where sure, he makes $30M per year, but $45M is in the last year of the deal and completely non-guaranteed.

Especially since it's a 5 year deal. That's longer than anyone predicted.

Sounds like all 95m is in the first 3 years hefty tag for a non-scorer.

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Sounds like all 95m is in the first 3 years hefty tag for a non-scorer.

For cash flow, probably. For cap hit, probably not. Some of that $95M will be signing bonus, so some of that will push into years 4 and 5, in terms of when we would actually see it hit the cap. So he gets $95M in three years, we probably only pay $70M -$80M or so in those three years, cap-wise. The rest hitting when he retires or we move on. So he'll probably hit us cap wise for the next 3 years or so for similar to what he did this past year.

Something like this, for a rough mockup someone put on Twitter:

Though I think we'd do more in 2024 for a little less in 2025/2026.

Year 3 is definitely a heavier cap hit than I expected. Year 3 is in line with what I thought year 4 would be.

I do find the roster bonuses interesting. Those are what we have been restructuring at times with Mahomes's deal, and they're only in year 2 and year 3, so I would be curious to see if those are there as what we would expect to restructure if we need cap space in the coming years.

19 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Year 3 is definitely a heavier cap hit than I expected. Year 3 is in line with what I thought year 4 would be.

I do find the roster bonuses interesting. Those are what we have been restructuring at times with Mahomes's deal, and they're only in year 2 and year 3, so I would be curious to see if those are there as what we would expect to restructure if we need cap space in the coming years.

The article I read basically said they were structure specifically to give CAP flexibility and restructure freedom with bonuses.  So, at least according to that article your thoughts appear to be right on.

• Like 1