My only "crazy and unlikely" mock draft, but it might make sense 21 days out until the draft begins

Big T

14 hours ago, xrade said:

We have no holes ATM so we should not expect a rookie to start day one. However, we are thin at some very key positions if a starter goes down like at WR and OT. So we will need a good player in round 1 to step in and play meaningful snaps this year.

Trading down just for the sake of a SRP and miss out on a top prospect and future starter next year would be irresponsible. I don’t care how deep the OT and WR class is, take the best prospect at one of those two positions and call it a day. 

We sure could use another WR, if one of the two WR goes down that's a problem. I prefer quality over quantity, at the WR position.

Why are we as fan's so adamant about drafting an OL or WR ? Because the OL is old, and which resembles a mash hospital infirmary. 2 of our OL are coming back from injury. 1 for all the hoopla missed 6 games last year-end that is considered good, as years prior he has missed more. So AVT-Moses, and Smith are all question marks.

AVT could be playing for his career in N.Y. like  Becton to see if he can play injury free. We're all holding our breath on this one. So grab the best OL in round 1, and then grab as many WR's you want in rounds 3-7.  I'm not confident in our backups on the OL, in fact I would be phasing them out over the next 2 years if I don't see any improvement.

To play the devils advocate, should we draft a WR in round 1 or TE, just doesn't make sense to me, Breece Hall is a threat both running and as a pass catching RB. We all know what Wilson can do, obviously Lazard coming back is a major need. However I think the OC and MGMT gave up on him.

If the Jets could swing a trade for an established WR with next years draft capitol or resign Cory Davis to a one year deal, or do both, the Jets could go into this draft with their best opportunity to not only draft a top OT but add a WR in round 3 without giving up anything more in this years draft.

So we have 2 weak links, the OL, and an anemic WR room. We have a HOF QB who at all costs must be protected, this screams out OL. He is the greatest asset on the team if it wants to be relevant make the playoffs and beyond.

Priority one is keeping him upright, so draft an OL even if he doesn't start in the event there is a serious loss on the OL we have a blue chip player ready to step in.

Okay, so here we are 11 days out from day one of the NFL Draft, so instead of posting "another" mock draft with such a short window. I thought it good to modify the draft for the Jets to players who if the Jets stay put at 10.

Like I said earlier, it doesn't make sense to me for the Jets to give away, yes, GIVE AWAY, valuable assets to move up or for that matter draft a TE in round 1. Especially if there are WR, OT who would be more impactful for the Jets. 

Outside of the Top 3 WR's who are considered can't miss, players and who I think will be gone, Harrison, Nabers, and Odunze, there are still some mighty good WR's who can be had in the first round. Thomas and Mitchell come to mind that could be had in round 1, but who as far as I know haven't had any contact with the Jets, Harrison for that matter hasn't had any contact with the Jets in any form.

However the Jets have had talks with players that might be considered 3rd round prospects including Rice, M. Washington, A. Smith, Coker, and M. Corley. This can give us a bit of an insight as to where the Jets are going in round 1.

Likewise, the Jets could be looking at OT later in the draft and sit pat until round 3 and grab a serviceable OT/G or the Jets could package a 3rd and 4th round pick and move back into round 2 and grab a higher rated OT/G.

In round 1 if the dynamic 3 are gone, then the Jets should draft the top OT they think will be the best scheme fit.

In round 2, IF, and it is a big if, the Jets can move back into the second round then the best WR available which could be Franklin, McConkey, Pearsall and X. Leggett.

If not then we can look for the Jets to draft a WR in round 3 Roman Willson, Luke McCaffery, etc., There will still be good OT/G available there as well. 

So in round 1 depending on if the Jets stay still, and the top WR's are gone, my best bet would be OT followed by WR.

Latham at T and Thomas at WR in round 1 and 3 are interchangeable  if they go WR, then OL in round 3, etc. 

Round 3 providing there is no movement and the Jets draft a WR, then OT Christian Jones or Christian Mahogany G, Fisher, etc. followed by  WR's as mentioned above.

So here is my revamped draft thinking

1 OT

3 WR    

4 QB Pratt or Travis

4 WR Rice

6 Bateist DE

7 M. Harris DT

7  Vaki S