Detfan final mock with trades

Very interesting all the talk the last 24 hrs from a variety of sources and outlets that Detroit trading out of 1st round might be best 

Holmes also very coy but teeing it up that Lions fans could be disappointed sitting there all day and them trading out of it.

Glad he doesn't feel that pressure to worry about the draft being in Detroit and ditching 1st round pick if value is there.

Love all the draft day smoke screens and game play. 

47 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Ok, well because we are fans of the Lions, are Gibbs, LaPorta, Hutchinson, Sewell, or ASRB popular players or good players?

It may work for some on the 5th year no doubt. There are benefits if the players are good. 

On 4/17/2024 at 6:14 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I think you're missing the value of the 5th year option for first round picks. 

5th year option is more important for slow developing players who could become franchise guys. QBs, LTs, and Edge would be the ones I might trade up for. Yeah, you might draft a Guard who may turn out to be worth using the 5th year but not as likely. A great player is going to be extended before the 5th year. While a 5th year may add leverage to negotiations I think the biggest advantage is for a promising QB that you want to give one more year before taking the plunge with big money.

39 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

5th year option is more important for slow developing players who could become franchise guys. QBs, LTs, and Edge would be the ones I might trade up for. Yeah, you might draft a Guard who may turn out to be worth using the 5th year but not as likely. A great player is going to be extended before the 5th year. While a 5th year may add leverage to negotiations I think the biggest advantage is for a promising QB that you want to give one more year before taking the plunge with big money.

Right which is why if a QB drops to 29 Detroit is in a prime spot to trade that pick 

57 minutes ago, idoubtit said:

As you said, having the ability to exercise the 5th year option (and up to two franchise tags after) gives teams a lot of leverage in negotiations. I would disagree about great players going to be extended before the 5th year. Justin Jefferson is certainly a great player and he is only under contract for 2024 because of the 5th year option IIRC. 

To your last point, that is the biggest advantage of the 5th year option regardless of position. It's just most significant on QBs because franchise QBs get paid significantly more than any other position.