The Elephant in the Room

Big T

Yes, boys and girls or whatever you identify as (uuuhhh!). The overwhelming under reported status of the O.L. and I do mean offensive line is comprised of old vets with obvious durability issues.

Now combine that with the line the Jets organization has taken with AVT and allowing him to play out the final year of his contract to see if he can sustain a full season without missing any more time. 

THIS!!!!! IS, the status of the Jets OL. Now I say this because we don't have any blue chip reserves at the ready to step in should the injury plagued Jets vaunted player signings in Smith or Moses fall by the wayside.

Thats right, Bowers, Odunze, or Nabers are not solutions for the OL patchwork of players to defend and ward off opposing teams defenses in protecting our most valued player in A.R.. PERIOD!!!

So the thought of going into what could be the final season for AR with an underwhelming OL and putting at risk your most prized asset leaves me aghast at what can become an instant disaster.

So what can the Jets do? ADDRESS THE OL with the best OT at 10 or if you can move down and grab more draft capitol all the better. But playing the cards the Jets have been dealt, we can look into what the Jets can do.

1. OT....this is a no brainer and one which the majority of fans would live with without too much blow back from the win now crowd.

2. The Jets could send their 3rd rounder IN 2024 and 2025 3rd rounder and move back into the second round for a top WR according to the draft scale points.

3. The Jets would still have 2 4th rounders which they could use to move up or down as well as a sixth and 2 sevenths.

The Jets are going to be a difficult team to make this year, they have a solid defense, and a competitive O regardless of who they draft. 

The only issue is the Elephant in the room and is the Jets as an organization willing to make a splash signing or begin to address a very old and vulnerable OL starting this year and sadly next year as well.

I am very concerned about Jets' OL blocking assignments.  Jets got LG for two years and RT for one year and they happen to be best fit in gap system. LT is an island job so I dont worry about it except his health.

Jets didn't change coaching staff for that matter.  Protecting AR is more important than blocking for Breece Hall at the moment. However, AR himself can't carry the team during senior citizen gig.  

Morgan Moses left Jets because Jets wanted him to play RG in ZBS. Now, he comes back and maintains RT. 

I think Jets will roll with gap system this year despite of a lack of certain culture in coaching so that means Joe Alt should be the best fit at 10 if available. Otherwise, trading out of top 10.

2ND top 10 WRs in 3 years for Jets?  it isn't a good sign.  Jets should trade down instead of compelling to draft popular choice in receiver room.

Alt should fit in gap system in case if Tyron Smith gets hurt again but with his solid combine test, he should be able to adapt to ZBS for 2025 if 2024 gap system fails.

JD is an elephant in the room. 😶‍🌫️