Bears Officially Select Caleb Williams at 1.1

Sugashane

22 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It sounds like you had a research advantage when you were coaching, which was probably a lot harder even a decade ago.  You've talked a lot about going to clinics and cold calling coaches which seems like it's probably more than what most do. It seems like there are far more resources now so if someone wanted to they could really educate themselves and steal concepts easier.  Of course with more saturation it's tougher to tell what to do!  Lol to the thought of being in the first 3 years of a business and trying to do that now. 

100% that was true.

It was much harder to learn things when I started and internet was young.

I 'reinvented' a lot of things just doodling schemes.   Defenses, simple passing concepts, blocking schemes, etc.

I wrote my own offensive and defensive playbooks.  Because i needed something for kids 10-14 and there was nothing except 1 guy selling super basic DW programs.

I wanted to go beyond and see how advanced I could go with young kids.  For kicks and giggles. 

First year I came out with a 5 wide motion spread shotgun offense - you should have seen coaches and parents faces who didn't scout us ahead of time.   Everybody back then was double tight formation under center with multiple backs. 

Colleges had barely been doing it for long at that time.  

We put almost everyone in running clock at half as they had no idea how to defend us that first year.  It was hilarious.

That was my first year ever running an offense myself.  And because I am a crazy person I wanted to do something wild.  HC was my buddy and he knows I am smart so he let me be a mad scientist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

100% that was true.

It was much harder to learn things when I started and internet was young.

I 'reinvented' a lot of things just doodling schemes.   Defenses, simple passing concepts, blocking schemes, etc.

I wrote my own offensive and defensive playbooks.  Because i needed something for kids 10-14 and there was nothing except 1 guy selling super basic DW programs.

I wanted to go beyond and see how advanced I could go with young kids.  For kicks and giggles. 

First year I came out with a 5 wide motion spread shotgun offense - you should have seen coaches and parents faces who didn't scout us ahead of time.   Everybody back then was double tight formation under center with multiple backs. 

Colleges had barely been doing it for long at that time.  

We put almost everyone in running clock at half as they had no idea how to defend us that first year.  It was hilarious.

That was my first year ever running an offense myself.  And because I am a crazy person I wanted to do something wild.  HC was my buddy and he knows I am smart so he let me be a mad scientist.

Kinda reminds me of our taste for big projects before and after kids.  

Before kids: restored a classic boat from ground up,  redid kitchen ourselves in "classic" home including load bearing walls and a complete gut,  regrade a yard with drain tile,  setup a country house including plowing a field with a Subaru towing a car hood with railroad spikes hammered htrough it, starting a business. 

After kids: I am planning on fixing that outlet that has been busted since 2017. Mowing the grass will happen next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Kinda reminds me of our taste for big projects before and after kids.  

Before kids: restored a classic boat from ground up,  redid kitchen ourselves in "classic" home including load bearing walls and a complete gut,  regrade a yard with drain tile,  setup a country house including plowing a field with a Subaru towing a car hood with railroad spikes hammered htrough it, starting a business. 

After kids: I am planning on fixing that outlet that has been busted since 2017. Mowing the grass will happen next year. 

100%

Before kids and when my kids were little is when I coached.

When they go older I stopped as I wanted to spend more time with them.  Plus I did most everything I wanted to do.  Won all the trophies at every level in local league, etc.  I looked into getting a teacher cert and becoming a HS coach, but it was too hard to do and support a family at same time.   I couldn't just earn no income for a year and get everything done or even pay for all the classes.

My wife is a stay at home mom.  

My boy never wanted to play so it was just time to stop.   Plus various parents got continually more annoying to me each year and my patience got thinner and thinner with whoever was latest crazy or annoying parent each year.

Hearing the same complaints year after year gets really old in youth football.  The complaints were new to them, but not to me.  

There can't be 22 QBs on a team and there has to be 5 OL.  Know what I mean?

People can't get that through their head. Or they think if they complain just enough they can always get their way.