2024: Defense

There is a newish name on the CB scene. McDuffie is playing outside and Chamari Conner is doing a lot of the nickel CB work but the other side is in flux. Jaylen Watson is out and no one has grabbed the role. Enter Kelvin Joseph, Dallas Cowboys' 2021 second-round pick. He played two years with Dallas and for two teams last season. 
https://atozsports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs-news/chiefs-otas-former-cowboys-draft-pick-kelvin-joseph-making-plays/
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ex_cowboys_draft_pick_is_making_some_noise_at_training_camp_for_the_kansas_city_chiefs/s1_17313_40674434

Kelvin Joseph looks like a starter. Cowboys fans are pretty negative on him, seemed like an athlete who never put it together and got in trouble with the law. Maybe he’s matured and he’s finally hitting that raw potential here?

We do love our reclamation projects 

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We will see when Watson comes back but KJ will make it interesting.

As you say, we love reclamation projects and Joseph was a high pick.

Games are always different than practice. I’m optimistic, hopefully he keeps having a good offseason and it translates to game day. 

definitely doesn’t help our “Thug” image we’re developing as a team identity though lol

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Games are always different than practice. I’m optimistic, hopefully he keeps having a good offseason and it translates to game day. 

definitely doesn’t help our “Thug” image we’re developing as a team identity though lol

The defense has become much more physical but I never saw it referred to as thugish.

Still, Karlaftis, Chenal, Cook, and Conner are all noted hitters. Even the CB are on the physical side. This is a scary defense.

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Rice doesn't play defense.

I don’t know if you’re playing a fool part, it what’s happening here.  We’ve seen a rash of arrests/run ins with the law or other issues on the Chiefs roster. Other teams, and their fans have taken note and alluded to us having a team full of criminals or “thugs.”

Adding another player with legal issues just pushes the narrative further.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I don’t know if you’re playing a fool part, it what’s happening here.  We’ve seen a rash of arrests/run ins with the law or other issues on the Chiefs roster. Other teams, and their fans have taken note and alluded to us having a team full of criminals or “thugs.”

Adding another player with legal issues just pushes the narrative further.

Only the Rice arrest had any real consequences.

Regardless, I have not heard the accusation of thuggishness any where but here.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Only the Rice arrest had any real consequences.

Regardless, I have not heard the accusation of thuggishness any where but here.

We’re 4th on total arrests since 2000. Rice happens, Buggs got in trouble, had Tyreek on the team for a while, WG beating vaccuums, Ross getting that domestic, and now Joseph who may or may not have murdered somebody

Look every team needs an Edge to it so I’m not hating really. During the Pioli years we tried the all Boy Scout routine and that was an abject failure. You need a little bit of both to be successful 

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

We’re 4th on total arrests since 2000. Rice happens, Buggs got in trouble, had Tyreek on the team for a while, WG beating vaccuums, Ross getting that domestic, and now Joseph who may or may not have murdered somebody

Look every team needs an Edge to it so I’m not hating really. During the Pioli years we tried the all Boy Scout routine and that was an abject failure. You need a little bit of both to be successful 

You’re forgetting Kareem, Shark, Baker.

Don’t forget Britt Reid, even our coaches out here ruining people’s lives then getting off easy.

Edited by EMAW_KSU

31 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

You’re forgetting Kareem, Shark, Baker.

Don’t forget Britt Reid, even our coaches out here ruining people’s lives then getting off easy.

Britt Reid is probably the worst one, and he just got released early for being the coach’s son. Pretty ridiculous

we dont have a very clean image is all I’m trying to say. Andy Reid wants you to be yourself, sometimes that’s detrimental

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Do we need to make a move to bolster our defensive backfield?

We need a clear CB2. Watson has been out and none of the other candidates has stepped up. The good news is that Conner has stepped into some of the slot work. 

The secondary is still getting healthy so the team is being cautious. I expect better in game situations.

Another factor is the pass rush. We have seen encouraging things from FAU and Chenal but that needs to be tested.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/8/20/24224712/chiefs-news-steve-spagnuolo-defensive-injuries-concerning

we haven’t had our “starting Defense” play any real snaps all together this training camp. Spagz seems really concerned about it we’ve got two corners, a safety, MLB, and DT all out. Spagz hasn’t thrown out the possibility of finding some more help at corner, nobody has established themselves as the starter next to McDuffie