Lyric Discussion - How Important Are They?

BobbyPhil1781

Lyrics depend on what music I'm listening to. 

I like a lot of progressive stuff, and with progressive stuff lyrics don't matter to me at all.  Mostly because the lyrics are weird and make no sense.  Between the Buried and Me and Mastodon don't exactly write poignant lyrics that matter to me, and yet I absolutely love their music.  Same thing with Haken and Moon Safari. 

When it comes to pop or mainstream-ish rock, yes, the lyrics absolutely matter to me.  I like singing songs I listen to when they're catchy songs or songs with lyrics that are easy to learn. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

But a band like Thrice, who admittedly were above the curve for actual musicianship in the genre, really got a boost in my rotation because I loved the lyrics on a lot of songs (and when paired with the atmosphere they could create in songs like "The Earth Will Shake", "Red Sky", "Stare at the Sun" it was sublime).

I was listening to Black Honey while I came into this thread.  :D

21 hours ago, MathMan said:

to me, very important.

they dont have to be poignant always, just not banal, which i see many songs fall into.

my favorite artist include Ween and Loudon Wainright III. Both wildly different, but they both have good and interesting lyrics

Agreed .. I like Shinedown so much because of their lyrics.

Archived