Drake Maye

5 hours ago, jofos said:

real benefit for Maye to sitting

NONE, ZERO !!!!!!  

Whats he going to learn, watching the worse offense in the NFL?  Watching Briskett !!!!!

He needs to be on the field to work on his weaknesses.   Main one, throwing the ball...footwork.

Great example me on the golf course. I have the prettiest swing (practice) ever until you put the meatball (actual game) in front of me !!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, m haynes said:

NONE, ZERO !!!!!!  

Whats he going to learn, watching the worse offense in the NFL?  Watching Briskett !!!!!

You already know I want him to play, so I’m with you - but I don’t know about none. 

We just recently had a great talk with Tom Brady where he talked about the benefits he got sitting his rookie year. I’m not gonna argue against him.

1 hour ago, jofos said:

If Maye starts week one is there any reason to keep Brissett?

Certainly.

Dude’s a veteran QB that’s been in multiple locker rooms with multiple coaches. I want that dude in the film room, in the QB room, with rookie Maye. Showing him how to watch film, giving him tips throughout the season, etc. I don’t see any benefit at all to jettisoning him out unless some team offers a stupid pick (like Day 2 or higher), which isn’t happening. 

Or hell, if Maye gets hurt or reeeeally struggles, get Brissett in there. No reason to let Maye totally bomb. I don’t think Jacoby’s so good that it’ll prevent NE from getting a good draft pick if he’s in, but at least the offense (in theory) shouldn’t completely bottom out like it did last year. You can’t play football like that every year.

16 hours ago, m haynes said:

NONE, ZERO !!!!!!  

He needs to be on the field to work on his weaknesses.   Main one, throwing the ball...footwork.

Great example me on the golf course. I have the prettiest swing (practice) ever until you put the meatball (actual game) in front of me !!!!

The benefit is him not having to learn behind the worst line in the NFL.  He'll develope bad habits, start seeing ghosts, and it will completely ruin him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Tom Brady where he talked about the benefits he got sitting his rookie year. I’m not gonna argue against him.

Did not here Brady however he/they had Bledsoe on the field so you could do that. I'm saying forget win and losses. Consider this practice for 2025. Condense the playbook.

In general I would always sit the rookie, but this is a unique situation.

There's a very good chance this team will go win-less this season.  Defense, with the lose of Judon and Barmore and BB.  I don't see how they can win. Especially with this pathetic offense.

11 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Did not here Brady however he/they had Bledsoe on the field so you could do that. I'm saying forget win and losses. Consider this practice for 2025. Condense the playbook.

In general I would always sit the rookie, but this is a unique situation.

There's a very good chance this team will go win-less this season.  Defense, with the lose of Judon and Barmore and BB.  I don't see how they can win. Especially with this pathetic offense.

I think winless is a beyond pessimistic expectation, but not gonna dive down that rabbit hole.

But about Brady: in an overarching discussion about rookie QBs, mediocrity in the NFL, and a lesser product, Tom talked about his experiences. He credited his college coaches and his college experience, saying he had to learn a lot about the game as a college athlete, and saying that working his way up the depth chart was beneficial. He then said he was fortunate enough to sit his rookie year and “be developed” by Belichick + the offensive staff. This was all in the context of saying rookies are being rushed into starting gigs. In fact, you said “condense the playbook”, that’s almost exactly one of Tom’s biggest criticisms. He said the game has been “dumbed down” because rookies are being thrown into the fire. 

Not saying everything Tom Brady says has to be gospel, here. Plenty of HOF players have said incredibly dumb things. But in terms of there being no benefit at all for a raw QB sitting - I don’t think that’s the case. You could argue it’d be more beneficial to get him out there vs sit, and in Maye’s case I think I’d agree with that, but I wouldn’t say sitting Maye does absolutely nothing positive for him at all.

I would say that the game has been dumbed down at every level. The type of offenses that are run now are designed to make it easier at every level. QBs in middle school, high school, and college don't take snaps under center because coaches don't have to teach the center how to snap or the QB how to take the snap. Passing game has become one read. The QB has become more of the focus in the run game so they don't have to teach handoffs. Zone blocking because they don't have to teach lineman how to reach, hook, seal, or trap. 

I remember a few years back complaining about no child left behind and how it was making teaching impossible. I brag that sports was the only thing that still did it right but then sports dumbed everything down just the same. 

I personally wouldn't start Maye because I don't think he is close to being ready nor is the offense around him, but sitting a rookie just to sit them is not beneficial.  Maye is probably the best QB on the team right now but that doesn't mean he is ready. 

12 hours ago, Soko said:

I think winless is a beyond pessimistic expectation, but not gonna dive down that rabbit hole.

But about Brady: in an overarching discussion about rookie QBs, mediocrity in the NFL, and a lesser product, Tom talked about his experiences. He credited his college coaches and his college experience, saying he had to learn a lot about the game as a college athlete, and saying that working his way up the depth chart was beneficial. He then said he was fortunate enough to sit his rookie year and “be developed” by Belichick + the offensive staff. This was all in the context of saying rookies are being rushed into starting gigs. In fact, you said “condense the playbook”, that’s almost exactly one of Tom’s biggest criticisms. He said the game has been “dumbed down” because rookies are being thrown into the fire. 

Not saying everything Tom Brady says has to be gospel, here. Plenty of HOF players have said incredibly dumb things. But in terms of there being no benefit at all for a raw QB sitting - I don’t think that’s the case. You could argue it’d be more beneficial to get him out there vs sit, and in Maye’s case I think I’d agree with that, but I wouldn’t say sitting Maye does absolutely nothing positive for him at all.

Yeah I think his overarching point was about how dumbed down the playbooks are now. He didn’t explicitly say Rookies should sit, only that he benefited from climbing the ladder. But I think you can get to roughly the same argument using what he said. 

I personally thing we’ll be on the end of some hidings, and I wouldn’t be against trotting Maye out there for a couple series at the end, when their defense is taking their foot off. That might be a way of getting him live reps whilst also protecting him

12 hours ago, jofos said:

I would say that the game has been dumbed down at every level. The type of offenses that are run now are designed to make it easier at every level. QBs in middle school, high school, and college don't take snaps under center because coaches don't have to teach the center how to snap or the QB how to take the snap. Passing game has become one read. The QB has become more of the focus in the run game so they don't have to teach handoffs. Zone blocking because they don't have to teach lineman how to reach, hook, seal, or trap. 

I remember a few years back complaining about no child left behind and how it was making teaching impossible. I brag that sports was the only thing that still did it right but then sports dumbed everything down just the same. 

I personally wouldn't start Maye because I don't think he is close to being ready nor is the offense around him, but sitting a rookie just to sit them is not beneficial.  Maye is probably the best QB on the team right now but that doesn't mean he is ready. 

God, that’s scary. It’s also sad because as Tom said, they can’t do ish when they get to college/pros. (Paraphrasing). And also, if you look at the most successful offenses in the NFL over the past 10-15 years, they probably aren’t simple. 

16 hours ago, Soko said:

“be developed” by Belichick + the offensive staff.

Key issue HOF coaching to current. Major difference to what we are looking at today.  Again it unique situation. 

Like I mentioned I agree with TB but there are cases that don 't fit and this is one of them.

You have to have faith in the staff and at this time I don't.

Kraft ----- I questioned his moves

Wolf ----   Failed to fix a huge/major problem OL. The effort he put in and the results are mind blowing. WR FA is also head scratching with 50 mil still on the books. Ya I heard all the excuses (media) they tried... BS. We both know, they WRs  look at their salary as a Golf handicap compare to the others. They should of over paid irf they had to.   That would of been a great learning tool for the rookie QB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁

Mayo ----  Based on team needs this was a awful signing. I could care less about a deal or the 10 million, that just a excuse.

OC ----  I have no issue like most however you have to questioned how they got there. He was the last for a lack of a better phrase " last choice"

Unique situation

Here is a example of a mess we have ---  Dotson  was traded and where were the Patriots ???????  I don't want to argue how good or bad he is but Pats needed WRs and the Eagles thought enough of  Dotson to trade a  3rd RD pick.  Take a look at the WR they drafted and signed. I will take their scouting staff  over the Pats.

Who in there right mind would not take him over Thornton. Baker, Bouttie.  Dotson is on a rookie contract for 2 more years.

The Pats were not even in the conversation ( heard it on the radio)  and they had two 3rd PICKS. 

You could of been looking at possible WR group

Calvin Ridley  ------  $92,000,000   Beat the price, over pay, They had the money, change the group once and for all, not this trash they still have AS A GROUP. This guy lost a year in pay, he an ego WR.  He would of taken the cash!!!!! I heard the Pats had the best offer... BS he's on the Jags and the Pats still have today 50 million cap !!!! No excuses the team stinks. You have to be aggressive or you stay the Pats one of the worse team in the NFL.

Jahan Dotson  ----- trade 3rd pick

Ja'Lynn Polk

DeMario Douglas

I have seen this before fans have high exceptions than the management doesn't come through in the end.  They nickel and dime, bring in scrubs (OL) to do the job and miss out on signing players or letting them go for money.  Frigging Mike Haynes ( greatest CB of all time) was traded because they were cheap bastard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last you give Dugger 14M ??????? but won't over pay for Ridley !!!!!!!  Remember (compare) Peppers was signed of 8M !!!!!

Lets see, a box safety with average cover skills or a number 1 WR for a rookie QB !!!  I forgot he's a core player a team leader, that worth an extra buck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry a little off the subject matter. 😜😁

I think it’s incredibly early to come to a majority of those conclusions, especially on things we have no idea about yet. But I’ll leave that bit be. All I’ll say is you don’t change coaching approaches/philosophies because you have one coach vs another. NE didn’t know Belichick was a GOAT coach when they sat Brady. I’m not saying Mayo’s going to be great or even very good, we’ll see, but again I’m just saying that you can’t go from great benefit with an approach, to zero benefit just because. 

I’d agree that Brady got more out of Belichick/the offensive staff than Maye would get out of Mayo/this offensive staff. But not zero.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

I think it’s incredibly early to come to a majority of those conclusions, especially on things we have no idea about yet. But I’ll leave that bit be. All I’ll say is you don’t change coaching approaches/philosophies because you have one coach vs another. NE didn’t know Belichick was a GOAT coach when they sat Brady. I’m not saying Mayo’s going to be great or even very good, we’ll see, but again I’m just saying that you can’t go from great benefit with an approach, to zero benefit just because. 

I’d agree that Brady got more out of Belichick/the offensive staff than Maye would get out of Mayo/this offensive staff. But not zero.

The one thing that I'll say about Brady sitting is that Belichick wanted to move on from Bledsoe in Brady's second season, but Kraft wanted Bledsoe because of ticket sales. So, who's to say that Brady wouldn't have started as a rookie if not for Kraft saying to stay with Bledsoe.

3 hours ago, jofos said:

The one thing that I'll say about Brady sitting is that Belichick wanted to move on from Bledsoe in Brady's second season, but Kraft wanted Bledsoe because of ticket sales. So, who's to say that Brady wouldn't have started as a rookie if not for Kraft saying to stay with Bledsoe.

That very well could have been the case in a hypothetical, by either way Brady came away saying he was developed sitting on the bench for a year.

I wanna see Maye come in and get the reps, but I’m not sure we can say there is no merit whatsoever to the school of thought that Maye ought to sit for X amount of time.

My hope/best guess is after San Fran.