Drake Maye

Maye can't go in behind this line.  He's making huge strides in footwork, he's starting to develope confidence in his decision making, he's had surprisingly good pocket presence in the limited time we've seen him.  All of those are critically important traits for a qb to be successful.  All of those things can be undone but putting him in a shooting gallery behind this line.  

Having to wait a year, knowing that there's some promise there in Drake Maye, WILL SUCK!  Don't sacrifice what could be 12-15 of Patriots success, just so that you get to watch 12-15 games of Drake Maye this year.  Our eyes should be on developing him and the best possible roster for him for the start of 2025.

• Like 1

I think one of the worst things they could do is bring Maye in and have him be a runner (which he will likely have to because of no tackles.) Maye's footwork is awful and having him running for his life throwing the ball is going to make it worse. 

We can agree to disagree on some aspects here, but I’ll just ask the same question that went unanswered in another thread: what if the line isn’t addressed this next offseason? Do you sit Maye again and say “would you sacrifice 15 years of Drake Maye’s future for a mediocre 2025 season?”

The beauty of this is, even if you put Maye in at some point and he’s taking too many hits - you can put Brissett back in. Yes, coaches can do that.

4 minutes ago, jofos said:

I think one of the worst things they could do is bring Maye in and have him be a runner (which he will likely have to because of no tackles.) Maye's footwork is awful and having him running for his life throwing the ball is going to make it worse. 

You’d be idiotic not to take advantage of his mobility. Again, because of what it forces defenses to do (spy, zone, contain). Nobody’s saying 170 times, but to not put in designed runs at all would be foolish. 

1 minute ago, Soko said:

We can agree to disagree on some aspects here, but I’ll just ask the same question that went unanswered in another thread: what if the line isn’t addressed this next offseason? Do you sit Maye again and say “would you sacrifice 15 years of Drake Maye’s future for a mediocre 2025 season?”

The beauty of this is, even if you put Maye in at some point and he’s taking too many hits - you can put Brissett back in. Yes, coaches can do that.

If the line isn't addressed this next offseason I would say fire some people and hope the team gets sold. 

I wouldn't start Maye at this point because he needs work, he maybe the best QB on the team but he has a lot to work on, once I felt he has shown improvement in those areas I would play him.

5 minutes ago, Soko said:

You’d be idiotic not to take advantage of his mobility. Again, because of what it forces defenses to do (spy, zone, contain). Nobody’s saying 170 times, but to not put in designed runs at all would be foolish. 

We can agree to disagree, but not fixing the issues with your future QB because you don't fix issues with your current line doesn't seem like a very good idea. 

• Like 1

If the line isn't addressed this next offseason I would say fire some people and hope the team gets sold. 

That’s not the question, and again kind of downplays what’s semi-common in the NFL. Remember when the Bengals didn’t sell their team because they couldn’t protect Joe Burrow for more than one season? 

I wouldn't start Maye at this point because he needs work, he maybe the best QB on the team but he has a lot to work on, once I felt he has shown improvement in those areas I would play him.

How will you see that improvement? Preseason games, that multiple coaches have already come out and spoken out against buying into? Training camp reports? We gonna talk about the top 5 preseason QBs in EPA (Brett Rypien, Zach Wilson, Mason Rudolph, Mac Jones, Jaren Hall)? 

I get that it’s sports and it’s a bottom line business, but it’s a forum - kinda just seems like we should be able to talk about and contextualize things instead of being in the “fire everyone” radio masses. JMO.

We can agree to disagree, but not fixing the issues with your future QB because you don't fix issues with your current line doesn't seem like a very good idea. 

Putting in 3-4 designed QBs runs/game isn’t going to be the difference between Maye being a bust or Maye being a 15 year starter. That’s pretty dramatic.

I reserve the right to change this opinion if Maye has the bulldozer mentality that Josh Allen has and refuses to do anything else than eat contact…

4 hours ago, Soko said:

Brissett’s a statue. The OL is really bad, but putting Maye in is going to slow the pass rush down alone. There’s a reason Lamar’s consistently throwing with high efficiency, and it isn’t because he’s a pinpoint passer. Legs slow down the rush and change the coverages.

All the same, I don't trust Maye to not revert to the bad footwork habits he had at UNC behind that line. 

The team isn't winning more than a handful of games this year, in all likelihood, and I don't want to threaten Maye's development for a lost season.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

The OL reaction is so overblown. Burrow's Rookie Season OL is probably the worst OL of the entire decade and they started him. Patriots OL isn't even the worst in the NFL, let alone worst of the decade. The Commanders and Saints have worse OL's. Or at least on par with New England. 

Maye is way more mobile than Burrow. Maye is an absolute weapon on the ground. People are really not understanding this. He is not some sitting duck pocket QB. He is baby Josh Allen. He is going to be a 500 yard rusher in the NFL every single year. He also is thick and will absorb hits just fine. He's also a dawg.... hit him over and over and that dude is gonna want more and more. I've probably watched more Maye than anyone here.

Edited by Tank4Drake

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

The OL reaction is so overblown. Burrow's Rookie Season OL is probably the worst OL of the entire decade and they started him. Patriots OL isn't even the worst in the NFL. The Commanders and Saints have worse OL's. Or at least on par with New England. 

Maye is way more mobile than Burrow. Maye is an absolute weapon on the ground. People are really not understanding this. He is not some sitting duck pocket QB. He is baby Josh Allen. He is going to be a 500 yard rusher in the NFL every single year. He also is thick and will absorb hits just fine. He's also a dawg.... hit him over and over and that dude is gonna want more and more. I've probably watched more Maye than anyone here.

The OL is going to be bad. Maye needs to work on his footwork because he is not ready. NFL teams practice in addition to playing games and that's where footwork gets fixed. Putting a player in and saying just run around and throw the ball because you are an athlete is where footwork gets worse. Maye being better than Brissett is not a good measuring stick because Brissett is nothing more than a backup QB and a QB competition should be between Maye now and where he needs to be. 

Watch this for a good break down of Maye's footwork and pocket issues. Drake Maye Preseason Week 3 2024 Analysis (youtube.com) 

For what it's worth I expect Maye to be QB1. 

Just now, jofos said:

The OL is going to be bad. Maye needs to work on his footwork because he is not ready. NFL teams practice in addition to playing games and that's where footwork gets fixed. Putting a player in and saying just run around and throw the ball because you are an athlete is where footwork gets worse. Maye being better than Brissett is not a good measuring stick because Brissett is nothing more than a backup QB and a QB competition should be between Maye now and where he needs to be. 

Watch this for a good break down of Maye's footwork and pocket issues. Drake Maye Preseason Week 3 2024 Analysis (youtube.com) 

For what it's worth I expect Maye to be QB1. 

Maye's footwork has looked great in pre season. He's been positioning his feet great and has great bend. It is a night and day different from college. It's not a Grade A yet, but it's a B compared to a D in college. 

3 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Maye's footwork has looked great in pre season. He's been positioning his feet great and has great bend. It is a night and day different from college. It's not a Grade A yet, but it's a B compared to a D in college. 

You have watched as a fan, you need to rewatch.