Drake Maye

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jerod Mayo:  “It’s not a secret, we have a quarterback in the wings that needs to continue to develop. Normally, I would say the starter gets, let’s say, 95 percent of the reps and the backup doesn’t. With this, it’s a little bit different. We had a conversation, how do we — I guess the struggle is, how do you get your starting quarterback prepared for the game and also continue to develop the guy in the background, which is Drake?"

"So, it is like a 70-30 split [of reps]. We’re very thoughtful. When we talk about how we have a development plan for Drake, that’s part of it. I try not to get too deep into what that plan actually looks like, but Maye still takes reps with the starters. He does a good job on the scout team as well. He’s doing a good job, and you can see his confidence continuing to grow.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-first-team-reps-are-being-split-70-30-between-jacoby-brissett-and-drake-maye

Translation:

We have a Ferrari in the garage, but the roads outside are terrible. We want to drive the Fiesta until the road is nice.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s all just shielding Maye from harm.

Jacoby obviously isn’t this great QB, but dude was getting pressured a ton last week and remained poised while being super smart with the ball (except for the Hunter Henry pass). No, the brakes weren’t beaten off and the offense only scored 16 points, but I’m not 100% confident that Drake’s pocket presence/awareness is where Jacoby’s is at right now - and that was a massive piece of last week’s W. 

I’m absolutely sure that it won’t happen every (or even most) week(s), but if the run game and defense are showing up to play ball control, Jacoby’s the safer bet for now. It’s just an experience thing, tbh. Now vs a high octane passing offense where the score’s being run up? Jacoby has zero chance of winning that game. I’m not sure Drake does either at this moment in time, but he’d make it interesting. 

On 9/13/2024 at 11:26 AM, vike daddy said:

Jerod Mayo:  “It’s not a secret, we have a quarterback in the wings that needs to continue to develop. Normally, I would say the starter gets, let’s say, 95 percent of the reps and the backup doesn’t. With this, it’s a little bit different. We had a conversation, how do we — I guess the struggle is, how do you get your starting quarterback prepared for the game and also continue to develop the guy in the background, which is Drake?"

"So, it is like a 70-30 split [of reps]. We’re very thoughtful. When we talk about how we have a development plan for Drake, that’s part of it. I try not to get too deep into what that plan actually looks like, but Maye still takes reps with the starters. He does a good job on the scout team as well. He’s doing a good job, and you can see his confidence continuing to grow.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-first-team-reps-are-being-split-70-30-between-jacoby-brissett-and-drake-maye

This just screams to me, the plan all along is right there Week 5. Avoid the SF and NYJ Top 5 Defenses. Week 7 at the latest. Maye IS going to start by mid season. No way they do this rep stuff if that’s not the plan. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Also, what a snitch. Thanks for the two week vacation. Getting offended on a football forum = not gonna make it in real life. 

I didn’t even know you got a vacation, but let’s keep posts like this to a minimum going forward, yeah? Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

This just screams to me, the plan all along is right there Week 5. Avoid the SF and NYJ Top 5 Defenses. Week 7 at the latest. Maye IS going to start by mid season. No way they do this rep stuff if that’s not the plan. 

Yeah, I reckon so as well. I’m seeing them around that time. Hope to see Drake