Are we good?

Raves

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean last time the Saints did this, they won the SB.  Not saying it's going to happen again, but let's dream until it crumbles.

I'll dream when they make the playoffs, for now I'll just be content with watching a good offense again.

On 9/16/2024 at 10:02 PM, Raves said:

I mean last time the Saints did this, they won the SB.  Not saying it's going to happen again, but let's dream until it crumbles.

Somebody has to win the SB, why not us? Seriously, why not? Not being argumentative, I'm with you here.  

On 9/16/2024 at 10:02 PM, Raves said:

Somebody has to win the SB, why not us? Seriously, why not? Not being argumentative, I'm with you here.  

^^ I hate that you can't delete a post...

Anyway, I can't help but think how held back our team has been by a previous coach, and yes, I'm including Sean Payton. Specifically a few years AFTER he won the SB. 

SP guided us to our only Superbowl win, and had 2 more good seasons, then went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons (he was suspended for 1). Only a Superbowl winning coach would keep his job, especially when you've got Drew Brees. Then he reeled off 4 really good seasons, 11-5, 13-3 (got robbed in the playoffs), 13-3 (Payton totally blew it in the WC round against the Vikings), 12-4 (couldn't do squat in the 4th Q of the divisional round against TB, then Brees left, and Payton crumbled and literally quit on the team.

Since Payton started coaching again, he's been 8-9, and now 0-2. He did what he could do to cherry pick the Saints for staff members (thanks, I guess), and players he wanted, and look where they are heading. And now he's got Carmichael back as "Senior Offensive Assistant" LOL!! (side note: Carmichael held play calling duties in 2012, 2022, and 2023 where the Saints went 7-9, 7-10, and 9-8 respectively)

Payton's ego held this team back, in a big way. He wouldn't get rid of the coaches who were trash (Carmichael, specifically), and let go of coaches who are really good (Aaron Glenn (decent, not great), Dan Campbell). He held on to players who were mediocre, and let go of players who were ballin'!

Now, with some fresh blood in the mix, Dennis Allen has this team going, and he's trending in the right direction as a coach (7-10, 9-8, 2-0), and he has a defense who's been crushing for years. Now he gets to focus more on defense, and let Kubiac focus on the offense.

After all the talk I've read about DA has to go, Derek Carr-bage is trash... I think we can all point to a few things; Pete Carmichael and Doug Marrone were the ones who had to go, John Benton (former Saints player, now O-line coach) has turned this O-line around quickly, and our recruiting team has put together a really good roster!

This has been a great way to start a new season!!!

WhoDat!!!!!

I think the biggest thing is that DA has the defense on lock, which everyone agreed with but his lack of getting the offense in order was wanting him fired.  Now that Klint has the offense under control, I think the DA firing talk is gone, but if Klint leaves I'm 100% behind firing DA if another competent person isn't hired to run the offense.

Personally I think if Klint is looking at HC jobs, just renegotiate his contract and pay him HC money.  He's obviously a great coordinator/playcaller and the main reason to move to a HC position is the extra money and full control of a team.  He'd probably still hire a DC to run the defensive side of the ball while he took care of the offensive side of the ball, so the only difference is pay.

So I'm leaving a thought on what the Saints should do prior to the season even ends.

Pay Me GIF

@Raves if Klint keeps this up, we won't have him for 2 seasons, he'll get an opportunity for HC.

Regarding the firing of DA, I think ANY OC would be an improvement over Carmichael. So I'm inclined to see what the next guy can bring to the table, especially considering the talent we have to move the ball, we just needed the right guy to organize it. 

Another topic I've seen all but fade away is how bad Carr is. Interesting when you finally get somebody calling the right plays with the right timing, Carr is all of the sudden at the top of the league in performance.

And finally, yes, restructure Kamara to keep him in the Black & Gold until he retires. I've been down on Kamara because he's literally 3/5 of the way through his last payday, and hasn't been performing well. Well, I'll eat crow (happily) and point back to Carmichael vs. Kubiak, and hell, I'm not certain I'd have a great attitude if I knew we were just going to go get our butts kicked no matter how much effort I put in.

Anywho... WHODAT!!!