What should we be doing?

Beck Bristow

Watching how much having Hill and Hilton back in the lineup seems to improve our ability to make important plays and limit other teams, I'm concerned they're both going into free agency after this season. It got me thinking about what our front office should be doing now and how they should be planning to approach the off-season. Here's where my head is:

1. Get Ja'Marr extended. You were supposedly close, make it happen.

2. Extend Trey. I have no interest in seeing this team without Hendrickson and I don't want to risk a hold out or hold in situation next year. This team works because of him.

3. Extend Hilton. I think he's what we think Bell is.he and Trey may not be long extensions, but they need to be kept and shown appreciation for what they do.

4. If there's money, I'd try to extend Hill. This may be a spot to go with a rookie to pair with Rankins and the two draft picks this year, but Hill will be very hard to replace and I think we need a veteran presence.

5. Trade for another pass rusher. I don't need a big add, but if you can move a third rounder or less for a guy that helps pressure the QB, the defense becomes way better. Ossai isn't doing it and Murphy hasn't shown it yet either.

6. Tag Tee again. Sorry Tee. Bengals fans might love you second only to Joe, so they need to pry you out of my cold dead hands 

Agreed with most, but you knew that anyway.  Like I mentioned in the other forum, I'd explore extending Tee for three years.  Keep this offense rolling and the window open.  

I'm good with extending Hill a couple of years as well.  Hilton needs to move to safety if we keep him around, but I'd do it on a year to year basis.

If the Saints lose tonight, I'd inquire about Chase Young,  as it should cost a 6th rounder or so to get him.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Agreed with most, but you knew that anyway.  Like I mentioned in the other forum, I'd explore extending Tee for three years.  Keep this offense rolling and the window open.  

I'm good with extending Hill a couple of years as well.  Hilton needs to move to safety if we keep him around, but I'd do it on a year to year basis.

If the Saints lose tonight, I'd inquire about Chase Young,  as it should cost a 6th rounder or so to get him.

Young is a good target, or someone like him. Hopefully get us someone to provide what we were hoping to get from Ossai for a day three pick. 

I'd hope Lou can continue to figure out a good use for Hilton. He continues to have great instincts and make plays. He should have a few more seasons of play along with his leadership to make him a guy to keep.

Mostly I just want to see something that tells me the organization is serious and willing to push away from business as usual. This team should be in their super bowl window now, and even though it should last a long time, it shuts fast and unexpectedly. Don't want them to go all in on "f them picks" but some creative thinking would help me sleep easier.