The Truth about Sashi Brown

Mind Character

7 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

What's the feeling on Peppers?  You guys like him?  Is he being played out of position and would be better lining up somewhere else (in the same zip code, perhaps?).  Just joking, but would he be better lined up at a different position?  Will he justify being selected in the first round?  He should get better.  He's been in on 53 tackles, 40 unassisted.  Zero interceptions.  Not sure about passes defended, as I don't see him on any stat lists, but it does show Odell Beckham with one, so.....it must be zero.

I just hope he improves and is being misused.

I wanted us to take Watson or Hooker with that pick, so was pretty apoplectic when we dropped down and took Peppers. Jury is still out on him, though - I hope he develops into a pro bowl safety. I think one of the reasons he hasn't had a great impact this year is defensive scheme. Due to the fact our secondary is the weak link on the team (thanks for trading Haden for nothing, Sashi), we seem to be playing way too much deep zone.

5 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Sorry, if I remind you of anyone.  I'm just me.

Dud from the get-go.  In fact, he probably hurt Kizer in camp by taking snaps away from him.  But that's on Hue.  Is that enough humor for you?

Why are you apologizing, maybe I liked the guy?

Thanks though.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you saw that they took 3 players in round one, why would think Sashi wouldn’t draft anyone in round 1 this year? Interesting stance iyam.

What’s the complaint here? He did the obvious? Ok.

No clue, but Hue was the point man for qb’s so he must not have wanted him too badly, much like when Hue prefered Hooker to Watson.

Won’t stop you from trying though will it?

On a side note, you remind me of another poster who had.... we’ll call them interesting...takes who stopped posting right about the same time you started posting.

Humor me, what did you think of Brock Osweiler?

Nah, I just think that he would have traded down and settled for second-tier talent when we need top tier talent.

No complaint with the Garrett pick.  Just saying that no one could criticize the pick.  But when push comes to shove, and you take Larry Ogunjobi instead of Alvin Kamara in Round 3, that would be my complaint.

I don't think you all have heard me complain about any of Sashi's picks that he acquired.  I just complain about his lack of NFL talent evaluation skill.  It's been a killer.

19 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Duke, if that is what Sashi was supposed to do, and Dorsey does his part, then sweet.  But 1-31 is awfully tough to take, as a fan.  And I know everyone out here wants to win, so I know it bothers you.  Losing is one thing.  Not competitive and incompetent are something else, come on.

Nobody could have known just how terrible Hue was going to be.  He personsally loses games that we should have won.  We were built to suck but Hue took it to another level.

Nah, I just think that he would have traded down and settled for second-tier talent when we need top tier talent.

So you're knocking him based on your speculation as to what he may or may not do?

No complaint with the Garrett pick.  Just saying that no one could criticize the pick.  But when push comes to shove, and you take Larry Ogunjobi instead of Alvin Kamara in Round 3, that would be my complaint.

So Sashi is not only held responsible for every player he picks, but if any other team in the league drafts someone who's successful, he's responsible for missing there too?  Show me a GM that holds up to that standard, I'll wait.

I don't think you all have heard me complain about any of Sashi's picks that he acquired.  I just complain about his lack of NFL talent evaluation skill.  It's been a killer.

Show me a guy with great "NFL talent evaluation skills" and I'll show you his misses.  No GM gets them all right. Name a guy who is a savant at identifying talent and hold him up to the same standard you just held Sashi to (no misses, never passed on a good player, etc) and get back to me.  Again, I'll wait.

4 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Nobody could have known just how terrible Hue was going to be.  He personsally loses games that we should have won.  We were built to suck but Hue took it to another level.

Nah broseph, 2 rushing attempts in the second half of a 6-3 game in the snow at the end of December with a 21 year old rookie qb who leads the league in turnovers is Sashi's fault.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So you're knocking him based on your speculation as to what he may or may not do?

So Sashi is not only held responsible for every player he picks, but if any other team in the league drafts someone who's successful, he's responsible for missing there too?  Show me a GM that holds up to that standard, I'll wait.

Show me a guy with great "NFL talent evaluation skills" and I'll show you his misses.  No GM gets them all right. Name a guy who is a savant at identifying talent and hold him up to the same standard you just held Sashi to (no misses, never passed on a good player, etc) and get back to me.  Again, I'll wait.

No sir.  I'm just saying the past is a great predictor of the future, and I have seen what old Sash has done before.

Of course not, but when players you PASS on go on to do well, perhaps that speaks to your eye for talent.  Meanwhile, your third round pick- the guy you took ahead of him, has, what?  14 tackles?

I wasn't asking to get them all right, but he obviously had to do better than what he was doing, and I think a third year would have absolutely been disastrous.

I didn't see the Giants beating down the door to even interview him, let alone hire him.  

Just as there are reasons to fire Hue, there are reasons that Sashi needed to go, as well.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't think it was a mistake to fire him.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Nah broseph, 2 rushing attempts in the second half of a 6-3 game in the snow at the end of December with a 21 year old rookie qb who leads the league in turnovers is Sashi's fault.

I guess we will have to just agree to disagree

12 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I don't think it was a mistake to fire him.

I agree.  But it also wasnt a mistake to hire him, and I dont think he did a bad job.

Technically his first draft isnt even over.  We have possibly picks 4 and 60 that are from the deal two drafts ago.

No sir.  I'm just saying the past is a great predictor of the future, and I have seen what old Sash has done before.

No, you really haven't, half of his picks are still rookies, 21-22 years old. Get back to me in 2-3 years.

Of course not, but when players you PASS on go on to do well, perhaps that speaks to your eye for talent.  Meanwhile, your third round pick- the guy you took ahead of him, has, what?  14 tackles?

So much to dissect here...

1. Again, every GM misses. 

2. You fail to consider the situation the rookie came into and ease of transition for the player's position. Is there a position that is more "plug and play" than RB? Most DT's require development.

3. You provide a statistic for a position that isn't always reliably evaluated by stats. How many tackles did Casey Hampton have in his prime?  To the eye Ogunjobi has looked good and PFF has him ranked like top 20 in the league at his position IIRC (don't quote me on the number, but he rates well).

I wasn't asking to get them all right, but he obviously had to do better than what he was doing, and I think a third year would have absolutely been disastrous.

Again, we don't very well know how well he's done when half of his picks have yet to finish their rookie season.  This is impatient/hot takey even by Browns fan standards.

I didn't see the Giants beating down the door to even interview him, let alone hire him.  

Not sure what this does or doesn't prove.

Just as there are reasons to fire Hue, there are reasons that Sashi needed to go, as well.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't think it was a mistake to fire him.

Sashi did make mistakes, no doubt. Chief among them to me was believing Hue could spot qb talent, develop a qb or put a supportive and effective gameplan in place for said qb.

Archived