Least important position on defense?

Kiwibrown

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Why would you exclude them from the conversation though?  They're typically the most directly affected positions as a result of that prevalence of 5 DB packages.  By which mechanism they become inherently less important by virtue of being on the field far less often than others, giving them a stronger case for "least important" position as the original question directly asks.

All true, and if we're extending the question to the 12/13 defenders who play most often, they would logically be included.

As an example, the Patriots had three safeties who played 700+ snaps on defense, and their third LB played a measly 238 snaps. If we were answering the OP with regards to the Patriots specifically, the point would be missed if we said 3rd LB is the least important position, when 13 other players accrued more defensive snaps.. especially since "3rd LB" isn't really a position, we should rather specify WLB/SLB/OLB, and because most teams keep a MLB and OLB together on the field in a nickle, taking the less talented OLB off the field shouldn't be an indictment on OLBs in general.

I'm kind of answering OP's questions within the following framework: "Of the 11 base defenders on an average NFL squad, which position has the least impact?" For me, because most NFL times have a nickel CB on the field more often than a second OLB, answering "3rd LB" doesn't jive with me.

That was kind of rambling but I think I made some semblence of sense.

Archived