LEt's Face It - Gase's Future and '18 Outcome Inexorably Linked

Phingasm 23

Hi all,

My first post on here.  Looking forward to some good conversations.  Been a hardcore Dolphins fan for over 30 years.  

We all know that T-Hill was on the ascension in '16 until he got hurt.  Then last year due to horrendous planning, we thought magical pixies were going to hold his knee together and he shan't ever be hit again as such, our backup plan was Matt Mcfumbles who had just cost us the Steeler playoff game (to be fair so did ZERO run D) and Marino fanboy Doughty.  Last year has been rehashed countless times but obviously from a record standpoint it was down from the prior year.  

Enter the 2018 calendar year and FA followed by Draft.  Gase is a QB guru.  More than anything his offensive ilk got him the HC job.  He inherited T-Hill.  Think of Gase as Chopin and the QB as his piano.  T-hill after 6 years has finally gotten to be a really really nice pawn shop Casio organ.  He's flirted with being a top ten QB but at his apex performance he's still somewhere between 9 at best to 15 depending upon which attribute or measurable you choose to weigh.  Gase as Chopin, has played him as best as he can but a Casio just wont ever sound like a Steinway.  Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen (listed in order of this writer's desire at QB) are all in the right hands and conditions Steinways.  Gase made it through last year taking mega lumps for the QB position but being given a chance at redemption due to T-Hill's injury.  In 2018, he has to field a team that is at least consistent or better than the 2016 season's.  It's my opinion that he has to right the ship at the game's most important position and his life blood...QB.  Everything he is graded on lives and dies by him bettering the QB position.  I do not feel that Gase has the ability to pass on moving up to snag one of the top four.  I personally think Rosen is the most desirable until I take into account his Cutler/Leaf attitude.  To me, the dream would be to get Mayfield as he is a force to be reckoned with.  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Phingasm 23 said:

Thoughts?

Tons.

Welcome to the forum. Good to see new blood. Check out NFL General and NFL News too, it's slow now but when the offseason gets rolling there are good discussions popping up all the time.

I look at Tannehill's last 7 games under Gase, and it's hard for me to buy into the idea of moving multiple high picks to grab a QB that likely wouldn't outplay Tannehill in 2018 and who knows beyond that? This team has gaping holes at LB, OG, TE, and possibly WR... and after a year in which we saw Keenum, Foles, and other fringe-starter QBs put in a position to succeed around a well-coached offense and talented defense.. I think Tannehill performing like a top 15 QB (which he was for the second half of 2016, that's plain and simple truth, his TD:INT, YPA, comp% all bear this out) with fringe top 10 ability is all we need.

In short, I'm not at the point where I'm drooling after my nieghbor's Mercedes when my low-end Lexus will accomplish 90% of the same thing. Give me a LB that can cover. I want another guard like Jesse Davis. How about a WR to replace Landry and/or Parker (soon)? Or a TE of any caliber above Julius Thomas..

However..

I am 100% for drafting a QB this year in the 3rd or later. 2017 crumbled because the team hadn't been developing a young backup QB worth a damn. It's the same reason they had to sink $10m into Jay friggin Cutler. Draft someone like Luke Falk and have him learn while spending higher picks and what I consider to be bigger needs.

As CD Said Welcome aboard.

I agree we have multiple holes and don't want to give up too much to move up but I would be in the camp voting to move up to get one of the three.

I am a big Mayfield fan and think he will be the real deal, I am hoping we can get some good value on Landry in next couple of weeks to increase our picks or pick up a couple of those replacement pieces CD mentions.

I have always had hope for Tannehill and the Cutler experience actually boosts my perception of Tannehill but I want better and happy to roll the dice to try something different. I do not have a problem in drafting Mayfield and letting him sit behind Tannehill for a year. If Tannehill steps up then happy days.

Thanks for the welcome guys.  Happy to be here.  We're 6 years into T-Hill and he rarely cracks the top ten on any measurable consistently.  With that said, we're not looking for #10.  We want a top five or three qb eventually as that usually means the offense would be near there as well.  Right now we're an average team on both O and D.  We don't do anything really well.  When we make the playoffs every 8-11 years it's because everyone played their tails off and we're then sent home in the first round.  We're just really good at being average.  

I think this is the year where we have to go all in and fix the QB position.  Moore is a FA and I wouldn't let him wash my car after the last couple years.  We totally botched last year by not shoring up the QB position behind T-Hill.  I think we need to go all in on whomever the well paid leadership we have thinks is the best QB.  Let that guy push Tannehill and allow us to in the next couple years have a pro bowl QB regardless whose name is on the jersey.  I like Tannehill but at his best he's been kinda good.  Six years is a long time in the NFL.  We need to make sure we don't make it seven trying to make him into a good qb. 

If the Landry trade happens, we need to use that to move up and fix the damned QB position.  If that's all we do this year it would be huge for the future.  

35 minutes ago, eatsleepanddrinkphins said:

To me miami is at the cross roads.  They are a team without an identity.  They dont keep their own and sign free agents

I will keep it simple, Gase’s job hinges on qb.  He better know what he is doing

Agreed.  If Gase doesn't fix the QB position and field at least an 8-8 team with a bright QB future he's going to get fired.  

Archived