What would you do if you where Woody Johnson ?

doumeyer

Here is something we never gave any though about. Would you take one young of the QB's in the draft that might fall to us at six ,for a cheaper price. Or sign a FA QB for three year at 90 million? We would all probably say lets pay the guy the 90 million, but it is not our money it is Woody Johnson decision. My feeling is I will be happy either way, but I am leaning towards signing Cousins. At this point of time I have no idea what the contact is between Woody & Mac. This time next week we will know. Mr Johnson is not a hands on owner like Craft or Jones, and that has been one of our problems for years,

11 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Woody doesn't run the team anymore, his brother Chris does.

Yea,  if i was woody, id be chillin in england counting my money... he is not at all involved in any day to day operations.

Chris has said he will largely take a back seat in football operations... signs that maybe Chris Johnson will be a more capable owner. 

16 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Yea,  if i was woody, id be chillin in england counting my money... he is not at all involved in any day to day operations.

Chris has said he will largely take a back seat in football operations... signs that maybe Chris Johnson will be a more capable owner. 

That has been the problem with Woody he has never been involved in the day to day operations But he still owns the team. Chris wants to take a back seat,  going from running the shipping dept. at Johnson & Johnson is a big jump from running a NFL team. My point is that is why

we have not been a competitive team for years.

10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

That has been the problem with Woody he has never been involved in the day to day operations But he still owns the team. Chris wants to take a back seat,  going from running the shipping dept. at Johnson & Johnson is a big jump from running a NFL team. My point is that is why

we have not been a competitive team for years.

What lol Woodys always been involved with us from m pushing for star players that didn't workout to telling us to cut costs. The best way needs in the NFL are the ones who step back and let football people handle it.

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

What lol Woodys always been involved with us from m pushing for star players that didn't workout to telling us to cut costs. The best way needs in the NFL are the ones who step back and let football people handle it.

What was my point about cutting costs. If you own a company and your GM wanted to spend 90 million dollars wouldn't you want to be Involved I sure would.

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Yea,  who do you think ordered us to trade up for Sanchez? Or to get Bret Favre? Woody was heavily involved, and he always wanted the jets to make big splashes. 

All those yeard where Tannenbaum had like 3-4 draft picks a year caude of trades... that was mostly done on Woody's orders. 

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

What was my point about cutting costs. If you own a company and your GM wanted to spend 90 million dollars wouldn't you want to be Involved I sure would.

No because Woody/Chris know probably less than a casual Fan does about football. Let the football people handle football things.

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

No because Woody/Chris know probably less than a casual Fan does about football. Let the football people handle football things.

That is very true DR. but they still own the team, At this point of time I have no idea what they want to do. I just want a QB for the future of the team, we just can't keep going on with rethread QB's from other teams, that are over the hill. THIS IS OUR YEAR TO DO IT. Whether it is Cousins or one of the QB's in the draft.

Woody had never wanted to be a hand on owner dealing with the day to day BUT when it comes to an opportunity to grab a headline (Favre,Tebow) he will instruct them GM to do so

But since hiring Mac he has been more hands off and even with Chris here as acting owner we know he's in constant contact with Woody if Woody wants input this is 2018

Conclusion while I think Woody would want to grab the headline and sign Cousins I really think he's leaving the decision up to Mac but I'm sure he's hoping we sign Cousins or pick Broadway Baker

42 minutes ago, imaiden6669 said:

Woody had never wanted to be a hand on owner dealing with the day to day BUT when it comes to an opportunity to grab a headline (Favre,Tebow) he will instruct them GM to do so

But since hiring Mac he has been more hands off and even with Chris here as acting owner we know he's in constant contact with Woody if Woody wants input this is 2018

Conclusion while I think Woody would want to grab the headline and sign Cousins I really think he's leaving the decision up to Mac but I'm sure he's hoping we sign Cousins or pick Broadway Baker

If we dont sign Cousins,  it probably wont be because of money....

I prefer the owner of the sports teams I root for to take a back seat. If they are going to get involved, it should be mostly in the form of recruiting a free agent.

The owner should hire a GM they fully trust. And the construction of the team should be left to the GM. The GM should get feedback from the HC, Director of College Scouting, and the owner. But, ultimately, it should be left to the GM.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

I prefer the owner of the sports teams I root for to take a back sit. If they are going to get involved, it should be mostly in the form of recruiting a free agent.

The owner should hire a GM they fully trust. And the construction of the team should be left to the GM. The GM should get feedback from the HC, Director of College Scouting, and the owner. But, ultimately, it should be left to the GM.

How do you feel about an owner like Jerry Jones? Hes the owner and GM.... Al Davis did that also. 

23 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

How do you feel about an owner like Jerry Jones? Hes the owner and GM.... Al Davis did that also. 

Personally, I wouldn't be happy about that. NY has that with James Dolan. GMs become GMs after years of experience in either scouting (Macc) or negotiating contracts (Mike T). I can't think of an owner that is wealthy because of his/her knowledge in sports management. Have to leave the sports management stuff to the experts. 

Now recruiting. Hell ya. The Jets ownership group need to be ready to recruit a player like Cousins. If Macc targets Cousins and asks Chris Johnson to be ready to wine and dine Cousins, I would like the owner to go all out. 

Edit: Al Davis is probably the only owner who can make a strong claim that he is/was qualified to make personnel decisions. He really did have a storied career. Kind of unfortunate he couldn't take a back seat in his later years. 

16 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

no thanks to either. Al Davis lost it long before his passing and Jerry Jones can thank Jimmie Johnson for his 3 rings other than that they haven't been they haven't been totally relevant.

Archived