Artificial Intelligence: Are You Concerned?

cddolphin

AI  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on AI?

• AI could very well turn into an existential threat if humans aren't careful
    • AI could lead to big problems, but it's nothing we can't handle as a species
    • AI fear is overblown, any problems should be minimal and easily overcome
    • Fears about AI? People were worried about Y2K too. It will only bring good, any problems will be human error

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Oh i agree.  Computers in general have already taken jobs from about sector except IT, haha.  

For example: while doing some renovations of an old building at work, we came across a picture from the 1950's.  At the time, the building was packed full of drafters doing piping, architecture, etc for this one site.  Now, they have 3 full time drafters performing the same function.  Computers have made the job faster, easier and more accurate.

It's going the same way in a lot of fields.  Computers and better intelligence are making people's jobs faster, easier and more accurate.  Which inevitably leads to being able to do jobs with less people.

I think the social/political opposition to the increase in AI development and useage will be an interesting debate. It’s going to be very unpopular so I wonder what subgroups will be in strong favor of the advancement.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

In a theoretical world where anyone is willing and able to learn anything in order to get a job

So far we haven't outstripped the usefullness of unskilled workers, but if that ever happens, then a good chunk of the adult population simply doesn't have the mental capacity to be useful. This is according to the Army, who requires a minimum IQ of 85.. basically suggesting anyone below that is more of a burden than capable of learning even the most basic task and doing it effectively. That's around 15% of the population as a whole.

Archived