Two FA additions, Ben Watson and Demario Davis, write letter to Louisiana lawmakers

Dome

Saints players Benjamin Watson and Demario Davis have lent their voices to support a bill in Louisiana that would allow convicted felons on parole or probation to have their voting rights restored after five years.

Among other arguments, they said that “felon disenfranchisement is part of our country's ugly racist legacy” and "the criminal justice system's goal is to hold people accountable, but it is not to deliver what for some is a lifetime of disenfranchisement.” The players, who have both been very active in social causes, added, “As professional athletes, we are blessed to have a platform that allows us to yield our loud voices for change. We choose to use this platform now to request that you restore the right to vote to those who also live, work, and make change daily in our community.”

Source: ESPN.com

We need to be careful with this topic due to the political nature, we all know how Webby feels about those, but I do agree with the idea of individuals having the opportunity to earn their voting privileges back after a certain time period of good behavior.

Earn? Sure, worth a look.

As the son of a convicted felon, a white one at that, I take issue with the race card being pulled once again. I also take issue with the suggestion that 5 years heals crimes that affect others for their entire lives.

Ya gotta think sometimes before ya go off and Hernandez somebody.

Archived