World Cup Knockout Round 7/3 - It's coming home

drd23

Colombia (Group H 1) vs England (Group G 2) @ 16:00 GMT (2pm US EDT)

The final Round of 16 game sees a match-up between the World numbers 12 and 16.

Colombia:

Colombia%20National%20Football%20Team%20

450871188.jpg

Los Cafeteros advanced to the knockout stages in a somewhat odd fashion.  They lost their first game after going down to 10 men after just 4 minutes, were impressive against Poland before eking out a 1-0 victory against Senegal despite being outplayed.  Talismanic striker Falcao has been underwhelming and will likely be without star playmaker James Rodriguez for most, if not all of the match as he has been battling a calf injury.

England:

England%20National%20Football%20Team%20L

9904576-3x2-700x467.jpg

After beating up on minnows Panama, the hype machine was seemingly sent into overdrive.  Lead by tournament top scorer 'Arry Kane, England will look to especially capitalise on dead ball opportunities as they have doe so far - scoring 4 from set pieces and a further two penalties. 

Players who will miss their next game with another yellow card:

Colombia: Wilmar Barrios, James Rodriguez, Johan Mojica
England: Kyle Walker, Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Prediction:

England to win 2-1, but it might take extra time to get there, and then lose in the next round :P

Both sides are largely unknown quantities.

Colombia played well in defeat to Japan despite being a man down, destroyed a Polish side in disarray then beat a Senegal side who didn't make it out of the group despite being outplayed.

England on the other hand had, at the time, the most impressive start to the tournament against Tunisia, before a controversial penalty pegged them and they struggled to break down a dogged defensive display in the second half. They then trounced a poor Panama team before their reserves lost to Belgium's reserves in a game neither team wanted to win.

I think if both sides play to their potential England should just edge it, but you never know what you will get with England.

I think single matchup this match could come down to is Juan Cuadrado against Ashley Young or Danny Rose at LB. That match up scares me a bit from an English perspective and I could see them being hit on the counter down that wing. 

I cant imagine James Rodriguez will play today but Colombia have other weapons with Quintero being especially impressive. I think England can get past Colombia, they got enough attacking talent to threaten a rather unimpressive Colombian defense, Davison Sanchez has been really unconvincing. I think England should dominate the midfield battle and as long as their defenders can stay disciplined I think they should be able to see off Colombia.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I think single matchup this match could come down to is Juan Cuadrado against Ashley Young or Danny Rose at LB.

Southgate has to pick Rose. Young is just too much of a liability defensively.

I also think having a natural left footer is much better for getting balls into Harry Kane.

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Southgate has to pick Rose. Young is just too much of a liability defensively.

I also think having a natural left footer is much better for getting balls into Harry Kane.

I agree and I'd be pretty shocked if Rose didnt start. If he was healthy this season he'd surely be the undisputed starter. I really think having teammates at club level play together at international level is a big bonus so that's another thing Rose has over Young in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, PAW said:

If James doesn't play, I don't see any way Colombia wins outside of 0-0 PKs

Really? Quintero has been very good in a creative role and I think Cuadrado could cause all sorts of problems. Falcao is more than good enough to trouble an average England defense. I think they've got players who can certainly punish England. I dont think they'll win but they've certainly have a chance. 

3 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Really? Quintero has been very good in a creative role and I think Cuadrado could cause all sorts of problems. Falcao is more than good enough to trouble an average England defense. I think they've got players who can certainly punish England. I dont think they'll win but they've certainly have a chance. 

Cuadrado sucks.  The only game James played (not counting last game) they looked like a completely different team.  Without him, they looked terrible.

3 minutes ago, PAW said:

Cuadrado sucks.  The only game James played (not counting last game) they looked like a completely different team.  Without him, they looked terrible.

Cuadrado has been quite good this tournament. His end product has always been not quite good enough but his pace has caused teams all kinds of trouble. James Rodriguez is absolutely the star of the team but they have other players who could hurt England.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Cuadrado has been quite good this tournament. His end product has always been not quite good enough but his pace has caused teams all kinds of trouble. James Rodriguez is absolutely the star of the team but they have other players who could hurt England.

Agree to disagree on him.  He is similar to Di Maria to me, a lot of flash and very little impact on the game usually.  Is he capable of something spectacular like Di Maria vs France? Absolutely.  But more often than not, he does very little except turn it over a lot.  I do agree with you that Quintero has been excellent.  But from what I saw vs Japan and Senegal, I don't think England should be worried at all if James watches from the sideline.  If he plays, it is a completely different story.  Colombia are a completely different side with him in it.

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

He was horrible in the half hour he played against Japan, was good against Poland and okay against Senegal

You're right, he was terrible against Japan. I thought the rest of his performances were good at absolute worst. 

9 minutes ago, PAW said:

Agree to disagree on him.  He is similar to Di Maria to me, a lot of flash and very little impact on the game usually.  Is he capable of something spectacular like Di Maria vs France? Absolutely.  But more often than not, he does very little except turn it over a lot.  I do agree with you that Quintero has been excellent.  But from what I saw vs Japan and Senegal, I don't think England should be worried at all if James watches from the sideline.  If he plays, it is a completely different story.  Colombia are a completely different side with him in it.

At club level I absolutely agree with you on Cuadrado. His end product is terrible and negates almost all of the good work he does. At international level, at least when I've seen him, hes usually plays pretty well. His pace creates a lot of room for the other guys in midfield, like James and Quintero. 

James' absence will definitely make Colombia less of a threat. I think I'm less sold on England as opposed to being more sold on Colombia if that makes sense.

Archived