If I Were the Commish.....

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile.  I have been very busy at work, vacation, and enjoying a break from football.  So, I got to thinking.  There are a lot of things we complain about the NFL and football in general, but no one feels they have the power to do anything about it.  Well, what would you do if you were appointed Commissioner of the NFL and had final say on rules and policies governing the league?

The one change I would institute would be this:  If a franchise choses to relocate to another city, they then forfeit the team name, uniform colors and logo, as well as team records.  Those items would be held "in trust" by the league on the event that a new franchise is started in the original city, or a franchise choses to return.  I think there needs to be an emotional/psychological cost to a franchise relocation borne by ownership.

What would you do?

26 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd also contract the Packers and Eagles...

And the Browns, because they really need to start over again.  

I know its collectively-bargained, but I would drop 1 preseason game and change it to a neutral site (likely international) regular season game, therefore making it a 17-game regular season..and in exchange, expand the roster to 57 (game-day active to 50) with a corresponding increase to the salary cap to accommodate for those 4 additional players.  

On an item I would directly control though, I would prohibit wide receivers from wearing gloves.  Doing so has given them an unfair advantage to the level not so dissimilar from the "stickum" issue of the 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I would do is to get rid of the Super Bowl!!   Not the game, just the name of the game.  It made sense back when two separate leagues played in the game.  It also made some sense when there was no inter-conference  regular season match ups.  Since the merger occurred almost 50 years ago, and most fans cannot remember a time when there were no inter-conference games, let's return to the noble name of an earlier era.  Let's return to the National Football League Championship game!!

Archived