12 team mid and late round draft philosophy

EaglesPeteC

So I've been thinking about this since my last draft on Thursday as I get ready for two more this week.

Obviously, great value wins every time, but if all the players on the board are around the same tier then I feel like this is how I'm trying to approach my draft.

Rounds 1-4- Get your 2 stud Starting RB's and 2 stud starting WR's

nothing new here

Rounds 5-8- Put blinders on and go all RB.

Any RB worth their salt in fantasy is off the board by the end of Round 8. So load up. Get all the RB's. 

Rounds 9-10 Get your QB and TE

After Round 10 is where the QB and TE market really dry up. You can get good starters in these rounds but it becomes much riskier after these rounds

Rounds 11-14 All WR's.

Fill in all of your WR depth here. You are getting a lower quality WR but not nearly as low as the quality of RB's you get in this range. You can get some WR's that could really help your team. If not, good flex and starting level WR's will emerge over the year and be on the waiver wire. They are easier to find then the RB's are

Rounds 15 and 16 Get your DST and K 

It really doesn't help your team much to get these positions before this round

I am at #12 coming up so here is a mock using this strategy

1.12- Melvin Gordon

2.1- Odell Beckum Jr

3.12- Doug Baldwin

4.1- Royce Freeman

5.12- Mark Ingram

6.1- Duke Johnson

7.12- Jamal Williams

8.1- Chris Carson

9.12- Jack Doyle

10.1- Matthew Stafford

11.12- Mike Williams

12.1- Chris Godwin

13.12- Anthony Miller

14.1- Keelan Cole 

15.12- Titans DST

16.1- Will Lutz

QB- Stafford

RB- Gordon/Freeman/Ingram/Johnson/Carson/Williams

WR- Beckum/Baldwin/Williams/Godwin/Miller/Cole

TE- Doyle

K- Lutz

DST- Titans

49 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats not a bad strategy at all but at the end of the day you need to take value. If Gronk is somehow there at the end of round 3/4  you take him

Yeah great value wins everytime, but this is all assuming all players on the board are roughly equal

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Yeah great value wins everytime, but this is all assuming all players on the board are roughly equal

then its definitely not a bad strategy but I will say the blinders on for RBs I think hurts a bit as netting 4 "studs" in the 1st 4 rounds isn't exactly as easy as it sounds. I think you would want a WR in that 5-8 range unless you go WR-WR

Archived