would you trade bell?

3rivers

He wants to be released (tag rescinded).  That is his ideal outcome here.  That way he would be a free agent and can sign his coveted long term deal.

If he convinces the team he will skip the playoffs, they just might rescind the tag rather than bring in a locker room cancer for 6 games only have him sit during the playoffs.

Or, Bell sits now hoping the Steelers suck it up and go 1-7 and just release him rather than pay him if he signs the tag. 

Either way, he wants to be let go.  Will the Steelers oblige?  Who knows. 

Steelers ain’t releasing him. 

And now CRappaport is saying he plans to show up Saturday, just in time to get paid. Setting up the Steelers to look like the bad guy. If they put him on the exempt list it’s “he showed up now pay him”. If we inactive him it’s “well if he’s so great he should play. If we play him it’s “he was right you want to run him into the ground.”

Id love to ask Main what excuse they’ll use then. 

At this point I wouldn’t put it past Bell to show up, then fake an injury that impossible to prove just to get paid and not play. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Steelers ain’t releasing him. 

And now CRappaport is saying he plans to show up Saturday, just in time to get paid. Setting up the Steelers to look like the bad guy. If they put him on the exempt list it’s “he showed up now pay him”. If we inactive him it’s “well if he’s so great he should play. If we play him it’s “he was right you want to run him into the ground.”

Id love to ask Main what excuse they’ll use then. 

At this point I wouldn’t put it past Bell to show up, then fake an injury that impossible to prove just to get paid and not play. 

I actually think he DOES show up and get paid for this entire year, though he wont play this week no matter what at this point.   Will he get paid for this week?   Probably.

1 minute ago, duke2056 said:

I cant seem them doing that.   Just for spite?  nah.

If he sits out the entire season, i can definitely see them doing it. Hell I would. Youd fine out real quick if Bell is serious about wanting to be in Pittsburgh or if he has just been playing the victim the entire time (which is what he is doing)

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If he sits out the entire season, i can definitely see them doing it. Hell I would. Youd fine out real quick if Bell is serious about wanting to be in Pittsburgh or if he has just been playing the victim the entire time (which is what he is doing)

If he sits out the entire season he doesn’t get a season accrued and it automatically retagged at the same price. 

Just now, warfelg said:

If he sits out the entire season he doesn’t get a season accrued and it automatically retagged at the same price. 

But would they tag him again and go through this again?  Interesting.  I can see it going both ways.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Per the CBA his right go back to us. 

Right, but WOULD they tag him again? 

Even if he plays 6 games this year you guys can still tag him again next year.  it would be a lot more, but you could.

Even if it is for 15 million again, not sure your front office would want all this again.

Would be stupid for Bell to do that though and miss the whole 14.5 million this year.  that is one scenario I can not see happening.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

NFL General is cracking me up. Apparently the team is the one in the wrong...give me a break.

That's because most people are followers - going the way the wind blows.  The NFL shows today were leaning back towards Bell after the huge backlash against him yesterday.   

37 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Right, but WOULD they tag him again? 

Even if he plays 6 games this year you guys can still tag him again next year.  it would be a lot more, but you could.

Even if it is for 15 million again, not sure your front office would want all this again.

Would be stupid for Bell to do that though and miss the whole 14.5 million this year.  that is one scenario I can not see happening.

Doesn't matter, he won't sit the whole year.  Bell loves money too much to do that.    But no, they wouldn't tag him again next year.  I'm sure they want to wash their hands of him.

If he were to show up at the end of Week 9,  the Steelers would work him back in and use him as much as possible down the stretch and into the playoffs.  After the season, it's sayonara and we get a 3rd rd Comp pick most likely.  

Archived