Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

8 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Seeing as how we’ve done better with a 4-3 alignment as the season has gone on I feel fine keeping it. Vea can play either position and be a problem. We could get more of a pure pass rusher in the draft and do 3-4 looks if need be or packages that bring that person in at SAM. Not sure how good Kwon really is but he wouldn’t work in 3-4. The new coach will have decisions to make but whatever we do at LB Lavonte better be calling the defense, not Kwon.

I want more of that attacking scheme that Schiano had. I think Kwon would thrive in it and we all saw how badass Lavonte was doing it. 

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

I want more of that attacking scheme that Schiano had. I think Kwon would thrive in it and we all saw how badass Lavonte was doing it. 

What s funny was Schiano was aggressive in his blitzes and line stunts, but played a lot of zone in the back end.  They traded for the best press CB in the league to play him off the ball more then 50 percent of the time.  Crazy.

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

What s funny was Schiano was aggressive in his blitzes and line stunts, but played a lot of zone in the back end.  They traded for the best press CB in the league to play him off the ball more then 50 percent of the time.  Crazy.

I'll never forget EJ Biggers lining up to press Julio and stepping back and out of the way at the snap, allowing Julio to literally run in a straight line for an 80 yard TD. 😂

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm all for Oliver. Stick him next to Vea in a 4/3 and let him loose. I don't think we need to change schemes to draft him.

I don't think the transition from 3/4 to 4/3 (or the reverse) is that big coming out of college, in terms of edge rushers. Chubb wasn't supposed to be able to make the switch and he's on pace to have the rookie sack record. Davenport is doing alright in New Orleans when he's healthy.

I don't think drafting a 3/4 edge guy would be a problem. He'd be the same size in a 3/4, going up against the same OTs.

If they stay around 6 or better and if Williams or Oliver are on the board, they have to pull the trigger.  Just dominate an offense from the inside out, that would be awesome to see.  

39 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I wonder if the Glazers see how awful the defense has been and really put a priority on getting it fixed.  The problem for me has been schematic with just way too much quarters and cover 2 played by a bunch of different DCs.  

I thought the HC search would be about maintaining the offense, now I believe I was wrong and the priority has changed.

Raheem was a defensive guy. Schiano was a defensive coach all the way. Lovie too. Dirk is all offense.

The only good defense we've had in any of that was Schiano's run defense.

Assuming Licht stays, he seems to attack the biggest weakness from the previous season. This year it was dline (JPP, Vea, Allen, Unrein) and secondary (Grimes, Stewart, Davis, Whitehead). Two years ago it was surround Jameis with talent; DJax, OJ, Godwin, McNichols.

Our biggest needs are defensive coaching/talent and oline. A guy like Richard would help a lot with half of that. And it would fall in line with what Licht has done the last couple years.

43 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Let all the retread doors close.  Pretty confident that Ross would do all he can to keep Harbaugh at Michigan then let him to go to any NFL club other then Miami.   More good news.

No retreads! That would be fantastic. (Not considering Dan Campbell a retread since he was only a mid season interim.)

This really is steaming manure on the Bucs coaching situation.  To suggest, there aren t better option then Koetter is ridiculous.  Certainly valid to question if they get it right this time, but hey keep everyone together because the last 11 yrs have been losing makes some sense.  Here s what I know Mike Smith and Dirk Koetter will never be HCs in the NFL again and they were in charge of the players for 3 yrs.  Enough said of what needs to happen next.

11 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

This really is steaming manure on the Bucs coaching situation.  To suggest, there aren t better option then Koetter is ridiculous.  Certainly valid to question if they get it right this time, but hey keep everyone together because the last 11 yrs have been losing makes some sense.  Here s what I know Mike Smith and Dirk Koetter will never be HCs in the NFL again and they were in charge of the players for 3 yrs.  Enough said of what needs to happen next.

Yup. That's not the first time I've seen that bull**** argument. Try until it works. Suggesting we just give up is absolutely insane.

15 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yup. That's not the first time I've seen that bull**** argument. Try until it works. Suggesting we just give up is absolutely insane.

It s funny that the media gives the Glazers crap for choosing poorly which is deserved.  However, very few give them credit for cutting ties spending millions of dollars to try and fix the problem.  All the HC s that have been fired by the Glazers, have not gotten a sniff of a HC job since.  So they weren t wrong for cutting bait when they did.  Like you said, 6 more days.

35 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

It s funny that the media gives the Glazers crap for choosing poorly which is deserved.  However, very few give them credit for cutting ties spending millions of dollars to try and fix the problem.  All the HC s that have been fired by the Glazers, have not gotten a sniff of a HC job since.  So they weren t wrong for cutting bait when they did.  Like you said, 6 more days.

Yup. They've spent a buttload of money trying to fix this team. Like @Lil' Shorty said, they care. They're just not good at it. But there's no question that they care and they're invested beyond just money.

Archived