Rookie watch thread, other than Doncic

resilient part 2

Still don't think it's close, pretty wide gaps in those last 2 advanced metrics. The media's infatuation with Trae to begin with, plus recency bias, is why I definitely could see Trae winning it but I think that'd be the wrong choice. 

Luka: 21.1 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 5.9 APG, .544 TS%, 19.3 PER, 3.7 BPM

Trae: 19.0 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 7.9 APG, .540 TS%, 16.6 PER, -1.4 BPM

19 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

What is BPM?

Also PER favors rebounds. That alone probably makes up most of the difference there.

Do rebounds not matter? Sure head to head comparing them as players it means nothing, Trae is a PG he is not supposed to get boards, but I look at PER (and awards such as ROTY for the matter) as a measure of how well they do their job. You could say Doncic is taller and defends closer to the basket so he will naturally get more rebounds, boosting his PER with little effort... but then I would argue Trae has the advantage of having the ball in his hand more and thus in better position to rack up assists (his time of possession is either 1 minute more than Doncic's per game, or 1 second more per possession, not quite sure how to read that stat. They're both top 10 in TOP). Assists carry more value in PER, the reason bigs tend to have higher PERs is their high shooting numbers. 

BPM is box score plus minus, it's a more advanced version (more goes into it, but similar process) of WS/48. 0 is league average. 

Archived