Bruce Irvin

3rivers

This could have been a good signing, but he opted fro hometown.

I never thought/knew the steelers were active for signing a new OLB/edge defender.  Who else is available that we could sign if the team still wants to?  

Considering the increased snaps Chickillo has got and the attempt to sign Irvin,  it at least indicates the team isn't content with dupree .   I thought they would have considered letting Adeyini (but he isn't even activated yet)  have some snaps but instead they considered outside help with Irvin. 

I don't expect a mid season UFA signing to help the team but if it happens all the better.  

I will be honest the thing that confuses me about them trying to sign Bruce Irvin is he isn't familiar with our defense. So why wouldn't you go and activate a guy that did pretty darn well in preseason and training camp that is familiar with the defense if you are actually actively looking to shake up the outside linebacker core. Now here's a couple of things to consider. First and foremost anybody that we have on IR or on the practice squad isn't going to get very many practice reps. Frankly that is true of most backups. Which makes me wonder what the intent truly was of signing Bruce Irvin now I'm not trying to jump to any conclusions necessarily here but I will say this my guess is that he was going to compete with Bud Dupree for that starting job over the next few weeks after he got acclimated with the defense that's the only thing that makes sense to me. The reason I say this is because if he's just going to be a backup player and I mean that's definitely possible but if he's going to be how much logic is there to sign him he was offered more than 3.2 million dollars for 8 games I say that because that's what the Falcons actually signed him to. Now some of you have argued that even is a back up player you could get more than that which is fine okay but just kind of roll with my line of thinking here for a minute as a backup player you're not going to get a whole lot of reps like I said so how acclimated with the defense could he possibly be if you're not grooming him to compete for that job and you're paying him more then in Atlanta Falcons team that is most likely going to start him are you not signing him to really either a at least split snaps with Dupree or possibly just flat-out take them away? I would legitimately be interested to hear alternative lines of thinking.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I will be honest the thing that confuses me about them trying to sign Bruce Irvin is he isn't familiar with our defense. So why wouldn't you go and activate a guy that did pretty darn well in preseason and training camp that is familiar with the defense if you are actually actively looking to shake up the outside linebacker core. Now here's a couple of things to consider. First and foremost anybody that we have on IR or on the practice squad isn't going to get very many practice reps. Frankly that is true of most backups. Which makes me wonder what the intent truly was of signing Bruce Irvin now I'm not trying to jump to any conclusions necessarily here but I will say this my guess is that he was going to compete with Bud Dupree for that starting job over the next few weeks after he got acclimated with the defense that's the only thing that makes sense to me

I can't see them having Irvin compete with Watt, but do see a rotation and eventual replacement on the other side. I thought Adeyini was going to have that honour , but they were considering Irvin. It doesn't look as bad if Irvin wins the job, but if a UDFA rookie wins it over a RD1 pick that has the 5th year option xD. It's all making sense, Chickillo getting a share of ROLB snaps and now trying to sign  Irvin. Next they will finally let Adeyini have a chance, but how do they make room on the active roster? Who gets removed? I would think Grimble or Burns but the RD1 politics are air play with burns. 

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Also on the Anthony chickillo bit it's funny to hear how many people want to see him replaced because it wasn't that long ago in previous seasons that people wanted to see him play over Bud Dupree. It's kind of interesting now that they want nothing to do with him

I expected  Chickillo  to make the team but never expected him to be a starter on D.  If he makes that INT, does he get even more snaps?  Do you think they will let Adeyini have a chance this season? His injury is healed, so now it's up to the coaches.

I honestly think the logic behind not activating Adeyini is essentially to preserve him for next season. I think there is an honest-to-god real chance that he wins the starting job next season. Here's something to consider he would not be the first outside linebacker that played for the Pittsburgh Steelers that won the starting job that wasn't an undrafted free agent, the most recent example of that was James Harrison.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I honestly think the logic behind not activating Adeyini is essentially to preserve him for next season. I think there is an honest-to-god real chance that he wins the starting job next season. Here's something to consider he would not be the first outside linebacker that played for the Pittsburgh Steelers that won the starting job that wasn't an undrafted free agent, the most recent example of that was James Harrison.

Agree, but why not let him play now? he is healthy and as usual, we need help getting a more consistent pass rush.   There could be preservation at work, but since they couldn't sign Irvin, maybe soon we will have Adeyini have a chance.  It's difficult to make a spot on the roster but who do you think would be removed to allow Adeyini to get activated? 

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I pull for Chickillo  but never expected him to be a starter.  If he makes that INT, does he get even more snaps?  Do you think they will let Adeyini have a chance this season? His injury is healed, so now it's up to the coaches.

I don't think they'll activate in this season honestly I feel like if I'm being honest what I think is going on there is beyond what I already stated of course it is first of all they don't want to have to make a tough decision with the roster especially considering this is a guy they really want to keep I think and hypothetically speaking let's say they activated him and then Le'Veon Bell came back well now what are you do he's probably the guy that gets cut because he was the last guy to be activated. Then you risk somebody else coming out and signing him to their team which probably would happen for a desperate team that has nothing to lose or a team that is rebuilding and has plenty of capital to cut because of how promising he looked during training camp and the preseason. I think more so the line of thinking is that the guy study the Playbook and be completely and utterly mentally prepared to play for this team. Another name to keep in mind in the secondary and I want people to remember this because I brought him up during preseason. This is slightly off topic from the people that we have been talking about. Trey Johnson who is currently rehabbing an injury is a guy that reportedly the Pittsburgh Steelers have made very clear to that he will be back next season for training camp. He too is an undrafted free agent he is very fast and he has talent and I'm not going to sit here and try to sell you on how he's the next Patrick Peterson or anything like that but given how poor the depth of our secondary has been this is a guy who I truly believe could crack the roster. He played for a small school Villanova and he played well there. I brought him up during preseason as a guy that I legitimately thought could make the roster and I truly believe that the only reason he didn't is because of his injury.

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Agree, but why not let him play now? he is healthy and as usual, we need help getting a more consistent pass rush.   There could be preservation at work, but since they couldn't sign Irvin, maybe soon we will have Adeyini have a chance.  It's difficult to make a spot on the roster but who do you think would be removed to allow Adeyini to get activated? 

if I mean completely honest the guy I think you need to remove is a guy that and maybe I'm wrong here but a guy that I believe will never play a snap for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the regular season and that is Marcus Allen. I truly believe that unless you are going to convert Marcus Allen to a linebacker he has no use on this team. The alternative is Anthony chickillo or and I would love this Justin Hunter. To me those are the most logical players that you would cut.

14 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I don't think they'll activate in this season honestly I feel like if I'm being honest what I think is going on there is beyond what I already stated of course it is first of all they don't want to have to make a tough decision with the roster especially considering this is a guy they really want to keep I think and hypothetically speaking let's say they activated him and then Le'Veon Bell came back well now what are you do he's probably the guy that gets cut because he was the last guy to be activated. Then you risk somebody else coming out and signing him to their team which probably would happen for a desperate team that has nothing to lose or a team that is rebuilding and has plenty of capital to cut because of how promising he looked during training camp and the preseason. I think more so the line of thinking is that the guy study the Playbook and be completely and utterly mentally prepared to play for this team. Another name to keep in mind in the secondary and I want people to remember this because I brought him up during preseason. This is slightly off topic from the people that we have been talking about. Trey Johnson who is currently rehabbing an injury is a guy that reportedly the Pittsburgh Steelers have made very clear to that he will be back next season for training camp. He too is an undrafted free agent he is very fast and he has talent and I'm not going to sit here and try to sell you on how he's the next Patrick Peterson or anything like that but given how poor the depth of our secondary has been this is a guy who I truly believe could crack the roster. He played for a small school Villanova and he played well there. I brought him up during preseason as a guy that I legitimately thought could make the roster and I truly believe that the only reason he didn't is because of his injury.

does the player actually have to get cut, or can they instead inactive them or put them back to the PS. They would wait for after nov13 then, and if Bell doesn't sign, then they can go from there. Adeyini should play this season now that he is healthy , find a way . This was one of Armsteeld's picks, and he ended up being a UDFA and stood out in preseason.  

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

does the player actually have to get cut, or can they instead inactive them or put them back to the PS. They would wait for after nov13 then, and if Bell doesn't sign, then they can go from there. Adeyini should play this season now that he is healthy , find a way . This was one of Armsteeld's picks, and he ended up being a UDFA and stood out in preseason.  

Technically yes because you can only have 53 guys on the active roster now when I say active roster not all 53 guys active on game day correct? So basically while he might not dress for the game he would still count as one of the 53 active players on the roster. So basically in order to put a guy on the practice squad you first have to cut him and hope he clears waivers. Now Justin Hunter I don't think is eligible for the practice squad and quite frankly I don't care if somebody claims him. I'm almost certain would clear waivers. The other thing you could do is wait for somebody that you want to get cut that you also sort of want to keep for training him next year to get injured and then just put them on ir and replace them with the guy that you want to activate. He's really all about what you think other teams might do with the player that you need to eliminate from the roster and if you can live with that.

Eh...Steelers had the money and may have shown interest, but they hadn't in the past and Irvin could very well be crowing publicly to make himself look like a better guy. There's no real evidence the Steelers or NE made any offer. At this stage, he's not even an upgrade on Dupree let alone Watt.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Eh...Steelers had the money and may have shown interest, but they hadn't in the past and Irvin could very well be crowing publicly to make himself look like a better guy. There's no real evidence the Steelers or NE made any offer. At this stage, he's not even an upgrade on Dupree let alone Watt.

Yep. Also, he already has the $8.75 Million from the Raiders for this year. The Falcons signed him for basically $1.5 Million. So any "greater offer" wouldn't have been some big chunk of change difference. 

Archived