The Redskins 6-3 Record was Fool's Gold

MKnight82

2 hours ago, Woz said:

So, an entirely healthy team is competing for either the weakest division crown or the 2nd wildcard ... kind of like they are now.

In other words, the healthy talent is no better than the replacement players that the team brought in to fill the roster when they left?

Is that what you're saying?

Huh? 

If the Redskins had Crowder, CT & PRich more this season I 100% believe that if they had been healthy this year that our passing offense would’ve been better this year and if anyone doesn’t believe that then I just don’t know what to say.

Those 3 combined are worth at least 50 more ypg over their back ups bc when they get the ball they can get yac better than their back ups.

Add 50 ypg to to Smith’s ypg total and he’s right where he was last year in ypg.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If the Redskins had Crowder, CT & PRich more this season I 100% believe that if they had been healthy this year that our passing offense would’ve been better this year and if anyone doesn’t believe that then I just don’t know what to say.

• Alex Smith
    • Starting quarterback for weeks 1-11 (no other quarterback appeared in a game until Smith was hurt)
  • Jamison Crowder
    • Week 1 (starts): 3 catches, 32 yards (10.7 YPC), long 17
    • Week 2 (starts): 2 catches, 8 yards (4.8 YPC), long 8
    • Week 3 (starts): 4 catches, 39 yards (9.8 YPC), long 18, 1 TD
    • Week 4: <bye>
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 4 catches, 55 yards (13.8 YPC), long 24
  • Paul Richardson
    • Week 1 (starts): 4 catches, 22 yards, long 7
    • Week 2 (starts): 4 catches, 63 yards, long 34
    • Week 3 (doesn't start): 1 catch, 46 yards, long 46, TD
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 4 catches, 50 yards, long 23
    • Week 6 (doesn't start): 3 catches, 31 yards, long 21
    • Week 7: <doesn't play>
    • Week 8 (starts): 2 catches, 34 yards, long 25
    • Week 9 (starts): 2 catches, 16 yards, long 11
  • Chris Thompson
    • Week 1 (doesn't start): 6 catches, 63 yards, long 23, 1 TD
    • Week 2 (doesn't start): 13 catches, 92 yards, long 14
    • Week 3 (doesn't start): 1 catch, 0 yards, long 0
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 6 catches, 45 yards, long 17
    • Week 6: <doesn't play>
    • Week 8 (doesn't start): 2 catches, 9 yards, long 6

So, one more time: how long was required for Alex Smith to get some semblance of chemistry with his receivers?

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Those 3 combined are worth at least 50 more ypg over their back ups bc when they get the ball they can get yac better than their back ups.

Add 50 ypg to to Smith’s ypg total and he’s right where he was last year in ypg.

There were four games where all three were playing together. In those four games, Smith averages 260.5 passing yards per game. In the next five full games Smith played, he averaged 200.6 yards per game (I'm excluding Houston since he didn't complete the game due to his injury). So, while I might buy that there could have been a fall off due to losing Crowder, I'm not sure I buy that it led to 60 yards less per game, especially when Thompson and Richardson played together in weeks 5 (163 total passing yards) and 8 (178 total passing yards).

2 hours ago, Woz said:
  • Alex Smith
    • Starting quarterback for weeks 1-11 (no other quarterback appeared in a game until Smith was hurt)
  • Jamison Crowder
    • Week 1 (starts): 3 catches, 32 yards (10.7 YPC), long 17
    • Week 2 (starts): 2 catches, 8 yards (4.8 YPC), long 8
    • Week 3 (starts): 4 catches, 39 yards (9.8 YPC), long 18, 1 TD
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 4 catches, 55 yards (13.8 YPC), long 24
  • Paul Richardson
    • Week 1 (starts): 4 catches, 22 yards, long 7
    • Week 2 (starts): 4 catches, 63 yards, long 34
    • Week 3 (doesn't start): 1 catch, 46 yards, long 46, TD
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 4 catches, 50 yards, long 23
    • Week 6 (doesn't start): 3 catches, 31 yards, long 21
    • Week 8 (starts): 2 catches, 34 yards, long 25
    • Week 9 (starts): 2 catches, 16 yards, long 11
  • Chris Thompson
    • Week 1 (doesn't start): 6 catches, 63 yards, long 23, 1 TD
    • Week 2 (doesn't start): 13 catches, 92 yards, long 14
    • Week 3 (doesn't start): 1 catch, 0 yards, long 0
    • Week 5 (doesn't start): 6 catches, 45 yards, long 17
    • Week 6: <doesn't play>
    • Week 8 (doesn't start): 2 catches, 9 yards, long 6

So, one more time: how long was required for Alex Smith to get some semblance of chemistry with his receivers?

There were four games where all three were playing together. In those four games, Smith averages 260.5 passing yards per game. In the next five full games Smith played, he averaged 200.6 yards per game (I'm excluding Houston since he didn't complete the game due to his injury). So, while I might buy that there could have been a fall off due to losing Crowder, I'm not sure I buy that it led to 60 yards less per game, especially when Thompson and Richardson played together in weeks 5 (163 total passing yards) and 8 (178 total passing yards).

And you’re using the Saints game again?

CT got hurt and so did Crowder that game.

12 hours ago, Woz said:

You just criticized me for cherry picking games. I showed the ones where they all played.

What about week 8?

My point has been that Alex & any QB - even Kirk when he was here - wasn’t as good when CT & Crowder were out, on top of that our only deep threat posed hurt and was ultimately shut down.

Again, I can’t fully evaluate how Alex was going to be as our QB bc of the injuries to his playmakers. I think the first 3 weeks was not even close to what this O was going to be if the playmakers had stayed healthy, but there’s no way to prove it bc they got hurt.

Archived