5 Bears make Pro Bowl; 6 Alternates

beardown3231

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not disputing any of this because I agree in general. But that's not to say that the right methodology can't work at all either though. The right format and set guidelines can paint a picture that comes close to reality and match what most coaches with trained eyes would see on film. It's just that ESPN's QBR is not the one.

Many GM's, scouts, coaches and players all use analytics in their research in some way, shape or form. Some use it more then others, but all of them use it to some extent. And Like I have stated many times on this forum and other places -- analytics and scouting are not the same thing. 

Its a tool amongst many.

You are scouting corners:

You have height, weight, speed - workouts.

You have film which is always most important save possibly what his coaches say if they are willing to be honest and forthright.  They see them way more and know the little details that are so important. Intelligence, work ethic, drive, personal problems, etc. 

Example: Bobby Knight just got done coaching college Jordan in Olympics and was talking to Portland GM who he was friends with. Now everyone thought Jordan was going to be a good pro, but nobody really knew he was going to be great at time. He didn't have a great jumper that he later developed.  GM told Knight, look I have a great SG in Drexler, I need a center. Centers were a really big deal in 80s for you young folks.  Game was different.  Knight said, "play Jordan at center then. I'm telling you take this kid."

Then you have your analytics and stats.  Something that will be constantly tweaked to preference or user in terms of importance. Its nice to have numbers/data to back up what you are thinking or maybe put someone on your radar to look more closely at.  You can't be everywhere at once and time is finite.  Data narrows names to look at. 

On 12/23/2018 at 4:51 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

4th in fan voting makes it most likely hes first alternate.  If you want to argue semantics, you can believe whatever you want.

this isn't arguing semantics, and i'm not trying to be hostile. I'm just pointing out that 4th in fan voting which only accounts for 1/3 of the total vote doesn't mean he's going to be 4th overall as well.

Archived