I hate the distractions - Coaching interviews

Mid Iowa

When you win, people want your staff. So we've got 3 guys interviewing for positions. I hate that they allow this during playoffs, but oh well.

What are your thoughts about who goes where?

The Miami Dolphins plan to interview Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen for their vacancy on Saturday in New Orleans, according to Sports Illustrated.
Our defense is finally ticking after a few years of stability at the DC position, and now it'll likely come to an end. I hate it when this happens. Allen couldn't pull it off in Oakland with that crap front office, highly doubt he can work with Miami's front office either. I just want him to stay put, get a few more key players, and help us make another deep run next year.

Our assistant head coach/tight ends Dan Campbell. Campbell is interviewing with the Browns on Friday and Packers on Saturday, according to NFL Network, and he’s reportedly interviewing with the Cardinals, too.
I like Campbell and wish he would stay, but I understand him wanting to go for a HC shot.

Offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr. has also reportedly received interview requests. Carmichael is also set to interview with the Packers on Saturday, according to ESPN.
I couldn't give two rips about Carmichael leaving. Between him and Payton, I think our offensive play calling is generally garbage. Not totally sure who's fault it is, but I usually don't like our calls.

8 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

If Carmichael goes, what about Jim Bob Cooter? I liked him a few years ago, then he signed with Detroit.

Could do better,  but could also do a LOT worse

wouldnt hate it 

10 hours ago, Raves said:

I dont think losing Allen would be a big hit outside of consistency in system.  

I'm not sure who guides the ship on defense, but the bottom line is our defense has continued to improve year after year under Allen and his consistency. I'd rather not see that broken.

Every time we get a new guy in, our defensive production turns into a roller coaster, and then we seem to go 7-9. I'm more into this whole 11-5 to 13-3 stuff ;)

8 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm not sure who guides the ship on defense, but the bottom line is our defense has continued to improve year after year under Allen and his consistency. I'd rather not see that broken.

Every time we get a new guy in, our defensive production turns into a roller coaster, and then we seem to go 7-9. I'm more into this whole 11-5 to 13-3 stuff ;)

Well I figured he was the one in charge of the DBs and I hate how he keeps moving them away from their strengths.

5 hours ago, Raves said:

Well I figured he was the one in charge of the DBs and I hate how he keeps moving them away from their strengths.

So Aaron Glenn is the DB's coach. Now I'm not sure who's telling the DB's to play away from their strengths, but our secondary has been weak for years. Not just under Allen, but under everyone since Gregg Williams. Even under GW, Sharper was the turning point when they turned him lose to play however he wanted to play. He ended up ball hawking, and had QB's totally unsettled. The Saints essentially went "undefeated" that season with that style of play.

I'm not sure who's to blame for falling away from that, but I'm not sure that sits on Allen. I may be 100% wrong, but I just don't know.

That said, other than GW, Allen's the only coach who's actually improved our D since Payton came on board.

Archived