Potential Coordinators

elwayfan07

With all of the talk about HC's. It may be beneficial to start discussing potential staff hires. 

I know that everyone has assumed that Kubiak is going to be the OC. However, that has never been specified. Renck, Shapiro and Klis have all said several times the Kubiak coming back does not specifically equate to him running the offense. They all have suggested that it may be more of an overarching, general Asst HC job where he helps the HC and a young OC. That model makes the most sense to me. They can evolve the offense and still take advantage of Kubiak's knowledge and expertise. Therefore, let's ponder on some potential names for OC and DC. 

OC- I think the most important thing in an OC developing a QB. Case is just the bridge but either this year or next Denver will be getting a QBOTF. The OC and staff must develop this player. 

- Zac Taylor- This probably won't happen. McVay does not seem as though he will allow a lateral move but this would probably be the top candidate

- Ken Zampese- Zampese did a very nice job with Baker Mayfield. It would be great to get him as a young OC who could grow with Kubiak's mentorship

- John Defillipo - His tenure in Minnesota did not go over very well. I think a lot of it was due to he and Zimmer just not being on the same page and some OL weaknesses. However, he really did a fantastic job as a QB coach in Philly. He could really benefit from Kubiak's help, especially in the playcalling department. 

- Todd Haley- I know this is not popular. Haley has been hated everywhere he has gone. He also has had success almost everywhere he has gone. If they want an experienced OC he may be an option.

- Mike Kafka- Kafka has been mentioned as the OC in waiting if Bienemy goes elsewhere. Andy Reid assistants have always had success under his mentorship. There is serious question as to whether Reid would let him go or not. 

DC- This can go 2 ways If Fangio is the HC he will run the staff so he could have a young DC to mentor or another experienced former HC as DC. 

- Chuck Pagano- Another experienced former HC to go along with Kubiak. This could help add experience and expertise to the staff. Probably more likely with Munchak than Fangio

- Ed Donatell- The Bears DB coach has experience as a DC and with Denver. I would imagine he may come over in some capacity. 

- Joe Woods- Some have suggested that he may be the DC in name under Fangio. This may be a good idea. He was great as DB coach. Maybe he can keep working with DB's and be mentored under Fangio. 

- Mike Nolan- Nolan always has great defenses. Id love to see him back in Denver. 

I'd love to hear your suggestions for possible assistants

Zampese has a really good track record with QB's developing and/or over-performing when he is around. Thing is, he is 51 already and has little if any experience actually calling plays. Also, his work with Mayfield may have been good, but its also just as likely that Baker is just a boss and his talent would translate with a hobo as his QB coach.

DeFillipio was a pretty poor OC in Cleveland, then had success with a high drafted QB in Wentz. Like the above Zampese, he may deserve credit but its also likely that Wentz is just a really good QB who would succeed regardless. I tend to believe this.

My pick would be Mike Kafka. Start the grooming now. Have Kubiak mentor him (From outside the coaching tree, to ensure the new HC feels safe). The Andy Reid coaching tree has a tremendous track record. Kafka is purported to be a great QB coach who helped Mahomes 'settle down' on the field. He is also young enough to really relate with any QB we draft. Ideally we take a QB R1, Kafka helps him develop for 2-3 years and gets imput from Kubiak. After that time we move on from Vic and Kafka is elevated to HC, with a strong relationship w/ R1 mystery QB and a decade of success in front of the duo. Thats the ideal path.

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Zampese has a really good track record with QB's developing and/or over-performing when he is around. Thing is, he is 51 already and has little if any experience actually calling plays. Also, his work with Mayfield may have been good, but its also just as likely that Baker is just a boss and his talent would translate with a hobo as his QB coach.

DeFillipio was a pretty poor OC in Cleveland, then had success with a high drafted QB in Wentz. Like the above Zampese, he may deserve credit but its also likely that Wentz is just a really good QB who would succeed regardless. I tend to believe this.

My pick would be Mike Kafka. Start the grooming now. Have Kubiak mentor him (From outside the coaching tree, to ensure the new HC feels safe). The Andy Reid coaching tree has a tremendous track record. Kafka is purported to be a great QB coach who helped Mahomes 'settle down' on the field. He is also young enough to really relate with any QB we draft. Ideally we take a QB R1, Kafka helps him develop for 2-3 years and gets imput from Kubiak. After that time we move on from Vic and Kafka is elevated to HC, with a strong relationship w/ R1 mystery QB and a decade of success in front of the duo. Thats the ideal path.

I like Kafka too. For me the big question is if Andy Reid will let him go in division to Denver. 

7 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I like Kafka too. For me the big question is if Andy Reid will let him go in division to Denver. 

If Bienemy doesn't leave, then Reid can't block an upward hire (from position coach to OC).     So we'd have to hire Kubiak as an assistant HC - and then hire Kafka (or any other position coach) as an OC to get around the block.  But it can be done that way. 

If Kubiak is named as the OC, however, then yes, Kafka can be blocked by Reid (unless we offer the assistant HC position to Kafka, so it qualifies as a promotion, but then Reid will likely do the same).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If Bienemy doesn't leave, then Reid can't block an upward hire (from position coach to OC).     So we'd have to hire Kubiak as an assistant HC - and then hire Kafka (or any other position coach) as an OC to get around the block.  But it can be done that way. 

If Kubiak is named as the OC, however, then yes, Kafka can be blocked by Reid (unless we offer the assistant HC position to Kafka, so it qualifies as a promotion, but then Reid will likely do the same).

Interesting. I thought both position and coordinators were technically considered "Assistants" so they could block. 

5 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

Interesting. I thought both position and coordinators were technically considered "Assistants" so they could block. 

The other way Reid can block a hire - he can name Kafka co-OC with Bienemy (obv he has to get Bienemy on board).

The pecking order as I understand it:

HC

Assistant HC (but it's iffier here if it's really on its own over OC/DC, but clearly above position coach)

Coordinator

Position Coach

I mean, really, in the end, from a practical perspective we're getting into Assistant Regional Manager / Assistant to the Regional Manager territory here, but it matters for hiring purposes.   Taylor being blocked from OC interviews by McVay is only allowed if he's told teams he's promoting him from QBC to OC, which is why that's being reported.

I like this at the end of the day:

HC - Vic Fangio - Stable, no nonsense coach who doesnt wow me in any way but was able to take a basket of talented defenders in Chicago and coach them up to their potential. Unsure how he handles being the franchise face, or delegates (Especially on defense), but he looks like the pick and that is that.

OC - Mike Kafka - Great young talent that can be given the keys to a perpetually struggling offense and allowed to mold it from the ground up. He helped Mahomes settle down and not always try for the homerun (Albeit he still hits those in bundles). Let him mentor and grow alongside whichever QB we take in R1. Ideally he is promoted to HC once Fangio's contract is up and we have a long-term HC.

DC - Joe Woods - The hire of a defensive coach means the DC likely will have minmal imput. Woods has been a bit underrated during his DC tenure IMO. He makes some mistakes, mostly soft coverage scheme BS, but overall managed to get a good deal of quality play out of the D. And the guys seem to like him. Keep him around, let him be more of a glorified positions coach where he can do his best work and the org gets a semblence of continuity.

Offensive Assistant / QB Coach - Gary Kubiak - Similar to the Wade Phillips hire in LAR, in some ways, we keep Kubiak around to mentor Kafka and help his transition from position coach to playcaller.

Archived