Matching Prospects to a Team

goldfishwars

If you were to look at the drafting tenancies and general scheme requirements to players in the draft who fit the needs of your team, who do you think they would covet in this year's class? This isn't who you necessarily would like them to draft, just who you think the braintrust in your preferred organisation would select. 

This is what I came up with for the Pats - generally ignored prospects likely to be off the board when they pick. Appreciate there's some overlap with where you think players might land. 

Needs - EDGE/IDL/WR/LB/TE

Edge

Patriots usually draft edge setters first and foremost, must be stout enough able to play the run. Ability to slide inside is nice, anything on top of that is a bonus. Dislike sack-chasers who are likely to lose contain and over-pursue.

Day 1 & 2 – Montez Sweat, Zach Allen, Charles Omenihu, Jaylon Ferguson, Anthony Nelson

Day 3 – LJ Collier

Defensive Tackle

Haven’t had a pass-rusher on the interior since Richard Seymour when we employed a different front. General preference has been for stoutness in the interior on first and second down and bring edge players inside to make mismatches on obvious passing downs

Day 1 & 2 – Dexter Lawrence

Day 3 - Daylon Mack, Greg Gaines, Armon Watts

Wide Receiver

Must be hard working and smart, must be able to run routes. Size isn’t important, getting early separation is important in a quick passing offense

Day 1 & 2 – Deebo Samuel, Riley Ridley

Day 3 – Andy Isabella, Hunter Renfrow, Stanley Morgan, Greg Dortch

Linebacker

One of the few teams who don’t covet speed at linebacker, preferring larger, smart and versatile players who can thump. Ability to take on blocks and blitz is a must.

Day 1 & 2 – Mack Wilson

Day 3 – Joe Giles-Harris, TJ Edwards, Joey Alfieri, DeShaun Davis

Tight End

Patriots have had success flex tight ends in the past, but not experimented much with this recently. They generally roll with very traditional in-line tight ends. We also nearly always have at least one designated blocking tight end on the roster. Gronks don’t grow on trees, so the future might see his role split out over players with complimentary skill-sets.

Day 1 & 2 - T.J. Hockenson, Irv Smith, Jace Sternberger

Day 3- Dawson Knox (Former QB), Drew Sample, Trevon Wesco

Funny you create this thread now. I just finished putting together some preliminary Patriots big boards with the new tool the draft network guys released. I threw this together while working, so I probably left off some names, included others I shouldn't have, and generally arranged them out of order, but it's nice to see how many names we share in common for the Patriots!

I expect significant changes before the draft, and I skipped most of the consensus top-25 guys, since there's no real point in listing Bosa or Williams for a Patriots-Type Player (PTP) board when we're picking 32.

I decided to create three boards, broken down by projected starters, role players, and developmental players. The rankings within each board are roughly in order, but don't reflect final grades. I probably have too many players, honestly, and should cut this down by about 15 - 25 before the draft. The Patriots usually only have about 50 draftable grades, so I've got too many. Oh, and Trevon Wesco is inexplicably missing from their list, so I couldn't add him. >:(

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigboard/GAat8TKnnR

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigBoard/wg85M9QlNA

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigboard/jZbTjCIjpz

7 hours ago, reamer said:

Funny you create this thread now. I just finished putting together some preliminary Patriots big boards with the new tool the draft network guys released. I threw this together while working, so I probably left off some names, included others I shouldn't have, and generally arranged them out of order, but it's nice to see how many names we share in common for the Patriots!

I expect significant changes before the draft, and I skipped most of the consensus top-25 guys, since there's no real point in listing Bosa or Williams for a Patriots-Type Player (PTP) board when we're picking 32.

I decided to create three boards, broken down by projected starters, role players, and developmental players. The rankings within each board are roughly in order, but don't reflect final grades. I probably have too many players, honestly, and should cut this down by about 15 - 25 before the draft. The Patriots usually only have about 50 draftable grades, so I've got too many. Oh, and Trevon Wesco is inexplicably missing from their list, so I couldn't add him. >:(

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigboard/GAat8TKnnR

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigBoard/wg85M9QlNA

https://thedraftnetwork.com/bigboard/jZbTjCIjpz

What did you think of Tillery? He's plays with such a narrow base, I spend half of my time expecting him to get blown off the ball. That rarely happens, but physically he's a different shape to the kinds of monsters the Pats have been stuffing the middle with. 

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

What did you think of Tillery? He's plays with such a narrow base, I spend half of my time expecting him to get blown off the ball. That rarely happens, but physically he's a different shape to the kinds of monsters the Pats have been stuffing the middle with. 

I go back and forth (and I listed him twice, in both starters and role players, oops). I really like his pass rush ability . . . sometimes. I get frustrated by his lack of anchor on occasion, though I think it's largely technique related. If he can respond to coaching and strength & conditioning -- and I realize this is a big if, which is why I can't move him up any higher since I'm not able to interview him personally -- he could develop into a more slender Hicks or even Seymour-lite kind of player.

His physical profile and his sack production are really tantalizing, but something always leaves me uneasy when I watch him. I worry that he's more of a first move type of guy who either wins at the snap or gets blocked; I don't always see someone with ability to re-anchor and counter. He tends to come off the ball a bit high and, as you mentioned, doesn't consistently play with a strong base. He's very athletic, but still a bit linear, so redirecting off a block (or double team) is not really his greatest strength.

It sounds like I don't like him. I do. I just want to like him more, but I'm struggling with trust issues. :D

On 2/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, SBLIII said:

I would add JoeJuan Williams. I know corner isn't a huge need but he would fit the system well imo.

Been thinking about this for the Pats more, based on points made by others. Watch out for Georgia again, BB didn't go back to back in the first round last year for no reason. There's obviously something about that set-up he likes. Perhaps that brings in players like Riley Ridley and Isaac Nuata might be linked more closely. The Schiano link with Ohio State too could be interesting. He'll have the inside track on players like Dre'mont Jones and Kendall Sheffield. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Been thinking about this for the Pats more, based on points made by others. Watch out for Georgia again, BB didn't go back to back in the first round last year for no reason. There's obviously something about that set-up he likes. Perhaps that brings in players like Riley Ridley and Isaac Nuata might be linked more closely. The Schiano link with Ohio State too could be interesting. He'll have the inside track on players like Dre'mont Jones and Kendall Sheffield. 

BB tends to like Schanio coached DBs, or at least he sure drafted a lot of them. And he's had a pretty good track record with the recent Ohio State corners, too. Sheffield could be an intriguing mid round guy.

Anyone else want to jump in to discuss prospects for your team? It's the Patriots show in here, hah.

Archived