Combine Weekend Mock

warfelg

So the combine is currently going on, so I'm putting together a mock.  Not taking FA into about here.

I think that Oakland and Washington will be the ones getting into a bidding war for Antonio Brown.  As much as I think Oakland will want him, I don't think that MDavis will want to pay him a new contract.  But I think that Washington will be the one to win, and they will find a way to pay him despite their cap situation. 

So the trade: Antonio Brown, Pick 192 for 15, 96, 2020 Conditional 6th (5th if Washington makes the playoffs and/or Brown gets 1250+ yards or 10+ TD's).

1-15:  Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida.  Another spot that we want, an impact edge rusher.  Polite is explosive on tape, again showing an ability to get to the QB easily, and already has the chop to force strip sacks.  He's also shown an ability to beat doubles in a offensive line talented SEC.  Now the 15th pick may be a bit of a reach for Polite, but I feel getting a pass rusher early is important, because the high end quality beats the depth.

1-20: N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State: Today's 4.5 40 time answered his biggest question, speed.  He has everything else.  The route running, the hands, the vision, YAC, the size.  He even returned punts for ASU.  I think he could be a GREAT AB replacement.  Won't produce that same way, AB did; but in terms of what was brought to the offense, Harry can do that.

2-52: Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State.  A long physical corner, he's more akin to Ike Taylor than Joe Haden.  Long speed will be his question, but if he can use his length to jam WR's at the line.  The question will be can he flip his hips and run with his man.  But, he's a natural zone and drop WR.

3-83: Cameron Smith, ILB, USC.  There's some issues with him that need some work, but there's a lot of good there.  Accelerates well and has great short area burst.  Always will give you 100% of what he has.  Good zone backer, and excellent open field tackle ability

3-96: Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State.  I think he's different enough from Samuels and Conner to work in a 3 headed backfield.  Mostly an elusive back, has the ability to power through tacklers.  Flows with traffic and starts and stops quickly.  Has a desire to bounce a lot of runs.

4-122: Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State.  Can play tight or wide.  Good athlete, but doesn't have elite speed or burst.  Has strong hands to ****** the ball out of the air.  Needs to work on his lower body to become a better blocker, but is willing to sit there and stick his nose in it.

6-175: Kendall Joseph, ILB, Clemson.  I think that he's a "Shazier light" type LB.  He is smaller, at 6' 225 and it's why he's going to slide.  His ability to read and react and was at his best in space when covering.  He isn't much of a take on blockers as he is sliding through the gaps.

7-219: John Baron, K, San Diego State.  Boswell needs to know he can be pushed and challenged.  I hate using a pick on a kicker, but I think it's a need to really push Boz, because I don't see a FA kicker being the one to do it.

UDFA's: Olisaemeka Oduh OG Elon, Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn, DeAndre Thompkins WR PSU, Rob Rolle S Villanova, Kenny Bigelow Jr DL Michigan, Troy Reeder LB Deleware

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don’t know if Cameron Smith is ready to be an instant starter at ILB. I think we re-sign Fort and he starts with Vince, while we get a rookie ready. That is unless we get one of the top 3 guys(Bush, White, or Wilson).

If you know how to use him (big question) he can start day 1.  His limits aren't mental.

An example of how the combine changes things for me.  I had N'Keal Harry as a reach with the 20th pick.  I'm going to change up my top 3 picks in my OP but for record keeping here's what I had:

1-15: Byron Murphy, CB, Washington.  Clearly the spot opposite of Haden is a major concern.  Murphy in many ways reminds me of Haden coming out.  Not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy, not the strongest.  But he has elite mirror skills, great instincts, and plays the ball so well.  Colbert's comments hint at needing defensive players that show an ability to do something elite rather than someone that shows well.

1-20: Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida.  Another spot that we want, an impact edge rusher.  Polite is explosive on tape, again showing an ability to get to the QB easily, and already has the chop to force strip sacks.  He's also shown an ability to beat doubles in a offensive line talented SEC.

2-52: Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State.  This is a guy I haven't seen mocked to us often.  A very explosive big play WR, I think Parris is a great type of player to have with Juju, Washington, McDonald.  All three of those guys are going to do their damage after the catch.  Parris is one that's going to be doing his damage before the catch.

Archived