Several Mocks

KJtheWicked

Hey everyone. I’ve been working on some Steelers mocks over the last couple of weeks, and I wanted to do some based off of several ways the board could fall to them. As a disclaimer, you should know that this year I decided not to watch game tape. Every year I watch tape and get irritated when they don’t take the guys I want. I can’t even remember the last time I was happy with a Steeler draft. So with that said, I based these mocks off of what the Steelers typically do, and who they’ve shown interest in. I tried to mix things up a bit in the mid-late rounds as not to keep mocking the same player in each mock, particularly at WR & RB. 

Mock Draft 1:
Devin Bush falls to 20 Edition

1.20 – Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan

*TRADE*
Pittsburgh trades pick 2.52, 3.83, and 6.207 to San Francisco for picks 2.36 and 6.176

2.36 – Justin Layne, CB, Michigan St.

3.66 – Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame

4.122 – Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

5.141 – Mike Weber, RB, Ohio St.

*TRADE*
Pittsburgh trades picks 6.175 and 7.219 to Kansas City for pick 5.167

5.167 – Garrett Brumfield, OG, LSU

6.176 – Gary Jennings, WR, West Virginia

6.192 – Isaiah Buggs, DL, Alabama

I'll say that this is unlikely to happen, but if Bush is on the board at 20 they are sprinting to the podium. Layne I have them moving up for here. They’ve shown as much interest in him as almost anyone, and honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of their top 2 corners.

Mock Draft 2:
White & Bush go early Edition

*TRADE*
Steelers trade 1.20, 4.122, & 2020 3rd round pick to NY Giants for pick 1.17

1.17 – Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 2.52 & 3.83 to Green Bay for picks 2.44, 4.114, & 6.194

2.44 – Justin Layne, CB, Michigan St.

3.66 – Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

4.114 – Foster Moreau, TE LSU

5.141 – Ben Burr-Kirven, LB, Washington

6.175 – Gary Jennings Jr., WR, West Virginia 

*TRADE*
Steelers trade pick 6.192 to Seattle for a 2020 5th Round pick.

6.194 – Isaiah Buggs, DL, Alabama

6.207 – Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

7.219 – Garrett Brumfield, OL, LSU

This one they miss out on the top 2 LBs, so they move up a few spots to grab Clelin Ferrell. Ferrell checks all the boxes for their typical 1st round pick. In the 2nd round I have them moving up again for Layne, and actually gaining an extra pick in the process.

Mock Draft 3:
Big trade up for White Edition 

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 1.20, 2.52, & 3.83 to Detroit for pick 1.08

1.08 – Devin White, LB, LSU

3.66 – Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston

4.122 – David Sills V, WR, West Virginia

5.141 – Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State

6.175 – Jordan Brailford, OLB, Oklahoma St.

6.192 – Andrew Beck, TE, Texas

6.207 – Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo

7.219 – Dravon Askew-Henry, S, West Virginia 

Here they see Devin White fall to 8 and they get aggressive. Having that early 3rd softens the blow of giving up their 2 & 3, and they get a potential stud in the middle of their defense. 

Mock Draft 4:
Move up for Devin Bush Edition

*TRADE*
Steelers trade 1.20, 3.66, 3.83, & 6.192 to Denver for pick 1.10

1.10 – Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan

2.52 – Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

4.122 – David Sills V, WR, West Virginia 

5.141 – Alize Mack, TE, Notre Dame

6.175 – Jordan Scarlett, RB, Florida

6.207 – Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn State

7.219 – Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo

If Bush is really their guy, they probably know there’s little chance of him making it past Denver-Cincinnati-Green Bay. Even if he did, he could still go to Washington, and Baltimore could jump us. This moves them up to 10 without giving up their 2 or any future picks and they get their guy.

Mock Draft 5:
Stay at 20, Bush & Ferrell gone Edition

1.20 – Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 2.52, 3.83, 7.219 to Indianapolis 
for pick 2.34

2.34 – Darnell Savage, S, Maryland

3.66 – Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama

4.122 – Damien Harris, RB, Alabama

5.141 – Beau Benzschawel, IOL, Wisconsin

6.175 – David Sills V, WR, West Virginia 

6.192 – Isaiah Buggs, DL, Alabama

6.207 – Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan

Here they sit tight at 20 and miss out on the top LBs, as well as Ferrell(who I think they really really like). Greedy Williams checks all the boxes. Tombert pro day, high end athlete, underclassman, power 5 conference. They then make the move to get their dimebacker in Savage. Both these guys had high college production and ball skills, and a draft like this could really transcend their secondary if they both reached their potential. This is probably my favorite of the mocks I did.

Mock Draft 6:
Board falls apart, Savage Edition

1.20 – Darnell Savage, S, Maryland

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 2.52 & 3.83 to Cincinnati for
Picks 2.42 & 4.110

2.42 – Justin Layne, CB, Michigan St.

3.66 – Irv Smith Jr, TE, Alabama

4.110 – Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame

4.122 – David Long, LB, West Virginia 

5.141 – Justice Hill, RB, Oklahoma St.

6.175 – Shareef Miller, EDGE, Penn St.

*TRADE* 
Steelers trade pick 6.192 to Seattle for a 2020
5th round pick

6.207 – Alex Bars, IOL, Notre Dame

7.219 – Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama

So they sit at 20, and all the top guys on their board are picked. There’s been some smoke about Savage going in the first, and he’s been in for a pre draft visit. This pick would buck the Tombert pro day trend, but there is still interest there nonetheless. 

Mock Draft 7:
Board falls apart, Layne Edition

1.20 – Justin Layne, CB, Michigan St.

2.52 – Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

3.66 – Miles Sanders, RB, Penn St.

3.83 – Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

4.122 – Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

5.141 – David Long, LB, West Virginia 

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 6.175 & 6.207 to Denver for pick

5.156 – Malik Carney, EDGE, North Carolina 

6.192 – Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison

7.219 – Byron Cowart, DL, Maryland 

This will probably be your least favorite, and it is mine as well. Not even just because of the Layne pick, just the way the board fell the whole way through. Although you might not like the Layne pick, you can’t ignore the interest they’ve shown in him. He checks all the boxes with the exception of Tomlin being at his pro day. It won’t be popular, but I think Layne is more likely to be the pick at 20 than Murphy or Baker.

Mock Draft 8:
Board Falls Apart, Winovich Edition

1.20 – Chase Winovich, EDGE, Michigan

*TRADE*
Steelers trade picks 2.52, 3.66, & 6.175 to the 
LA Chargers for pick 1.28

1.28 – Darnell Savage, S, Maryland

3.83 – Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston

4.122 – Alize Mack, TE, Notre Dame

5.141 – Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M

6.192 – Ben Burr-Kirven, LB, Washington 

6.207 – Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo

7.219 – Terronne Prescod, OL, NC State

Oddly enough, I actually like this draft. Winovich doesn’t check the underclassman box, but they have shown interest. Like Savage, he’s been moving up the boards into late round 1 territory. With Dupree in the final year of his contract, I think EDGE is as big a need as any position. 

Every Draft I did I have them making a trade. I think with 10 picks it’s actually quite unlikely they sit and pick at all 10 spots. I could be wrong, I just don’t see it happening. I think they will make a push to move up for Bush, if it doesn’t happen I think they’ll want to come away with 2 guys they have on a short list. I’d guess that list looks something like Ferrell, Greedy, Savage, Winovich, Layne, and probably a few more, maybe N’Keal Harry, Mack Wilson, Julian Love.

I don’t think they view WR as a big need. Hence the reason they’ve shown next to no interest in any of the earlier round guys like Metcalf, Brown, Deebo, etc. It actually wouldn’t shock me if they drafted a RB before they draft a WR. Same goes for TE. I think they’ll draft one, but I’d be absolutely floored if they took one early. They just haven’t shown the interest. 

Well, that’s all from me, hope you enjoy my work. We are about 24 hours away from the Cardinals being officially on the clock! 

I see a lot of Mocks with Layne in them. I guess those Mocks are assuming we're going Press Man which is ok.  I'm just not so sure they are. Layne is great at the LOS but is grabby off of it and is not all that quick/fast. I'd prefer a few other CBs. 

FIrst off, great work.  Seems like a lot of time went into making this, and it shows.  Nice effort.

5 is my fave.  I want to avoid Bush like the plague, and I think that if we can't get White, Greedy has to be the guy.  I like all of the other picks, although I hate waiting that late to address the weak TE slot.  But, that is splitting hairs, so I am good.  6-8 without a tradedown would make me vomit.

Looking back, I really like #3 as well.  There is not a lot of immediate help (other than White) but it is a sneaky good draft.  I freaking love Beck, but that is a little rich.

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Mock 3 and 4.

Everything after 4...i would be calling for Colbert to resign.

You’d call on Colbert to resign if he landed Greedy, Savage, & Wilson? That’s pretty harsh! I dunno, none of these mocks would have me pulling out my pitchfork, I’ll keep that put away for if they have a bad season this year. 

17 minutes ago, kurgan said:

FIrst off, great work.  Seems like a lot of time went into making this, and it shows.  Nice effort.

5 is my fave.  I want to avoid Bush like the plague, and I think that if we can't get White, Greedy has to be the guy.  I like all of the other picks, although I hate waiting that late to address the weak TE slot.  But, that is splitting hairs, so I am good.  6-8 without a tradedown would make me vomit.

Looking back, I really like #3 as well.  There is not a lot of immediate help (other than White) but it is a sneaky good draft.  I freaking love Beck, but that is a little rich.

Thank you, I put a lot of thought into it. I wanted to approach the draft differently than I normally do. I do like 5 as well. I think the only one I really don’t like is 7. I just didn’t feel like I was getting good value at any of the picks, and potential trade ups weren’t working out the way I’d like. 

29 minutes ago, Craigjo21 said:

I like 2 and 8 the most 

I like those as well. I just think EDGE is a bigger need than most do. If they could get a guy early and add a secondary piece early as well, that might be more impactful than landing a guy like Bush. 

Mock 4 it is! Didn’t quite get the compensation right, but it made sense. The interest was clear, they sent everyone but the waterboy to the Michigan pro day. Underclassman, high SPARQ guy, power 5 conference, Bush was clearly their top target( maybe White was, but I don’t think they thought they had a realistic shot at him). Trade made sense because I don’t think he made it past Cincy. Now let’s see if they address CB next like I have them doing in Mock 4.

Another note, Louis Riddick who I respect a ton said on the Dan Patrick show recently that he thinks Bush could be the 2nd best player in the draft behind Kyler Murray and praised our trade/selection on ESPN fwiw

**meant to post this in the draft thread

Archived