1. 1. Have We Always Had Super Teams?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, More Or Less
    • No, More Or Less

46 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They used to not have that option.

And that's also false.

First you said players realized they could control their own careers. Now your saying they didn’t have that option. Which one’s your arguement so I can dismantle it?

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

First you said players realized they could control their own careers. Now your saying they didn’t have that option. Which one’s your arguement so I can dismantle it?

That there wasn't free agency before the 90s, so it took the players a couple decades to get a handle on that power.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Wrong. Cazzie Russell was the first player to ever test free agency and that was after the 1977 season.

https://hoopshabit.com/2014/12/02/nba-top-25-free-agent-signings-time/2/

Next.

He might have been the first, but it didn't become even close to a common thing until Tom Chambers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/suns/history/impact-tom-chambers-and-unrestricted-free-agency

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He might have been the first, but it didn't become even close to a common thing until Tom Chambers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/suns/history/impact-tom-chambers-and-unrestricted-free-agency

Who cares if it was a common thing? You said players didn't have the option to control their own careers and they did.

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Who cares if it was a common thing? You said players didn't have the option to control their own careers and they did.

Jesus Christ man. Teams who signed them had to also give compensation to the old team. It was not a real option.

True unrestricted free agency was not introduced until 1988 with the new CBA.

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Jesus Christ man. Teams who signed them had to also give compensation to the old team. It was not a real option.

That's not the player's problem. If a player wanted to leave their team after their contract was up they could. Period the end.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

That's not the player's problem. If a player wanted to leave their team after their contract was up they could. Period the end.

No, not true. Their own team could match the offer. Every free agent was a restricted free agent until 1988. And even then, only players with at least 7 years of experience. Unrestricted free agency as we know it was not fully started until 1994.

Anything else?

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

No, not true. Their own team could match the offer. Every free agent was a restricted free agent until 1988. And even then, only players with at least 7 years of experience. Unrestricted free agency as we know it was not fully started until 1994.

Anything else?

Stars from 3 decades ago weren't teaming up like today because they wanted to defeat their rivals, not team up with them. The same would stay true for stars from prior decades because they hated eachother. UFA super team up collusion was never going to be a thing until players started becoming buddy buddy with each other and that began in 2010. Players knew for a very long time now that they could team up with rivals. They chose not to.

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Stars from 3 decades ago weren't teaming up like today because they wanted to defeat their rivals, not team up with them. The same would stay true for stars from prior decades because they hated eachother. UFA super team up collusion was never going to be a thing until players started becoming buddy buddy with each other and that began in 2010. Players knew for a very long time now that they could team up with rivals. They chose not to.

Nice try. You gave it a good shot, kiddo.

libiKZt.gif?noredirect

15 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Nice try. You gave it a good shot, kiddo.

libiKZt.gif?noredirect

Yep, nice try for sure, but definitely not true. All you have to do is look at how stacked the Showtime Lakers were in addition to Bird's Celtics. 
Heck, even in the 90s I remember Kerr and Elie going to the Spurs. I need to study some more about player movement in the 70s though.

5 hours ago, the lone star said:

Do the SuperSonics count as a "super" team?

Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton? 

If I have to rate, I think the 96-97 Knicks were a super team but under achieved. LJ, Ewing, Allan Houston and John Starks. 

6 hours ago, MossyMoss said:

Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton? 

If I have to rate, I think the 96-97 Knicks were a super team but under achieved. LJ, Ewing, Allan Houston and John Starks. 

I think he's using a play on words. SuperSonics.

Archived