Have We Always Had Super Teams?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have We Always Had Super Teams?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, More Or Less
    • No, More Or Less

Have We Always Had Super Teams?

I mean, check out the rosters of the dynasties that have reigned the NBA, and then look at some of the teams that have squeaked in there. Pistons were loaded for their 3 championships, the Thunder were loaded when they lost in the finals, the Rockets had some nice young talent that developed into legitimate NBA players, the 2006 Heat had a bunch of aging stars, with a young DWade and other players that stuck around in the NBA for a decent amount of time. The 2008 Celtics were loaded, and if you look at the 2011 Mavericks, they had several current and/or former all-stars in Dirk, JKidd, Marion, Tyson Chandler, Peja, Caron Butler, and then super reserves in the form of JET and JJ Barea. Most of these teams had good coaches too.

So what do you think. Is the term "super team" something that defines this current era, or have we always seen examples of super teams, whether it was the Showtime Lakers, Bill's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, The Bad Boy Pistons, Shaq's Lakers, Duncan's Spurs, Bird's Celtics, Kobe's Lakers, LeBron's Heat, and now Durant's Warriors?

I think the super team implies some superstar trade or free agents, not just a collection of talent.

But even still, most of the teams you listed fall into that acquiring a superstar category.  So I would say yes to your question.

Look at the 82 Sixers who lost the finals in 6 games coming off a 58 win season.  Then they just somehow acquire Moses Malone.  So many similar examples throughout nba history.

Yes, the only difference now is players have more leverage because of the way deals are set up and free agency. The 60's Celtics had like 8 Hall of Famers and no free agency to break it up. Basically from the 60's to the 80's except for certain gaps Boston/LA have been loaded with Hall of Fame talents playing at the same time. The 80's 76ers were a bonafide superteam that probably was the closest to a modern one. The 90's had the Bulls in a diluted league. Houston tried creating a superteam behind Olajuwon/Barkley/Drexler. The Lakers had some in the early 2000's. Boston in 2008. The Heat and Warriors after. This has always been the trend.

I agree with what has been said, they are being created after the fact now, where in the past they were organic in nature. Big 3s like in Boston and LA weren't formed from ring chasing. Duos like Jordan/Pippen and Stockton/Malone were drafted together. The Spurs big 3 as well. 

Shaq to LA still seems like the biggest move in history to me. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I agree with what has been said, they are being created after the fact now, where in the past they were organic in nature. Big 3s like in Boston and LA weren't formed from ring chasing. Duos like Jordan/Pippen and Stockton/Malone were drafted together. The Spurs big 3 as well. 

Shaq to LA still seems like the biggest move in history to me. 

This is untrue. There are examples of both drafted superteams and created superteams via trade or free agency in every generation.

Whenever I hear the phrase "Super team" I never think of an all-time great team like either the LAL or Boston of the 80s or 90s Bulls team, I think of a ST as a team formed on the basis of players making moves, not management. For me their are only 2 "Super teams" Lebron's Heat and KD's GS. 

12 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Whenever I hear the phrase "Super team" I never think of an all-time great team like either the LAL or Boston of the 80s or 90s Bulls team, I think of a ST as a team formed on the basis of players making moves, not management. For me their are only 2 "Super teams" Lebron's Heat and KD's GS. 

Why?

36 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Well for right or wrong the first time I ever heard the coin phrase super team is when LeBron joined his three in Miami. And then again for KD. No one ever called kgs Boston team a super team because they traded assets to get assets.

So because they didn't use that specific term means they don't qualify?

Regardless of if the players or management created it shouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Super teams yes.

Players colluding together no.

That's fair, but some players have made pitches to other players back in the day. But that's when they were already anchored. the Wade, Bosh, LeBron summit was something else.

31 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's a good thing players realized they could control their own careers.

They’ve always known this. The difference is that players used to like to compete against their contemporaries rather than team up with them.

32 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

They’ve always known this. The difference is that players used to like to compete against their contemporaries rather than team up with them.

They used to not have that option.

And that's also false.

Archived