Lions punter Sam Martin expected to miss start of season; Kasey Redfern is in

X_Factor_40

Lions punter Sam Martin expected to miss start of season; Kasey Redfern is in

Lions punter Sam Martin is expected to miss the start of the season with a foot injury.

The Detroit Lions expect to keep Sam Martin on the non-football injury list for the start of the season. Kasey Redfern is expected to make the initial 53-man roster and open the season next week against Arizona. 

Martin participated in all parts of the offseason program, until he suffered a foot injury away from the team after minicamp and landed on NFI shortly before the start of training camp. He has not been seen at any practices that were open to reporters since the injury.

"He's still alive," Caldwell said. "We see him. But yeah, he's doing good."

Redfern is expected to replace Martin for the start of the season, and as far as backup punters go, Detroit could do a whole lot worse. Redfern net 41.3 yards per attempt in a surprisingly good preseason. That ranked 16th in the league.

But it's going to be difficult to fully replace Martin, a four-year veteran who net 44.2 yards per punt last season. That was second most in league history. For a team that lacks dynamic playmakers, he was a key weapon in helping Detroit win the field position game.

This news is a few days old, but I haven't seen anyone talking about it. I'm a huge Sam Martin fan, as I grew up playing competitive soccer and kicking when I was a kid. 

Do you expect the loss of Martin to impact the Lions in the early going of the season? 
Where would you rank Martin compared to other punters around the league?

Any thoughts? 

Archived