Trent Williams said the growth on his head was misdiagnosed and he had cancer

TOUCAN

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. This certainly seems like someone who just "wants to put it all behind me." /sarcasm

Sorry - he went from one of my favorite players to a guy I just don't care for at all with the way he has acted through this whole thing.

The only one as worse (or worse) than Trent in all this is Brice...for not trading him to the Browns for their 1st when he had the chance.

I still like Trent, I don't blame him at all for trying to force his way out of Redskins and away from arguably the worst front office in sports. If he goes anywhere but in the division, I'll root for him to win games on his new team, and Super Bowl as long he's not playing the Redskins. 

I also don't blame him for not trusting the Redskins medical staff even if, some of the things he's pointing to are his fault as well. 

Heck, teams do it to players all the time, I don't mind seeing a player use their leverage to get what they want too.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I still like Trent, I don't blame him at all for trying to force his way out of Redskins and away from arguably the worst front office in sports. If he goes anywhere but in the division, I'll root for him to win games on his new team, and Super Bowl as long he's not playing the Redskins. 

I also don't blame him for not trusting the Redskins medical staff even if, some of the things he's pointing to are his fault as well. 

Heck, teams do it to players all the time, I don't mind seeing a player use their leverage to get what they want too.

I don't mind him wanting to force his way out. It's the way he's doing it that gets me.  Just sack up and say out loud "I want more money" or "I want to go to another team to win".

Don't do this dance about the medical staff and throw people under the bus for things they had no way of being able to diagnose or treat. 

He's trying to do the former, by doing the latter, just so he can continue to garner sympathy along the way so he can avoid any fan backlash.

That's cowardly. 

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't mind him wanting to force his way out. It's the way he's doing it that gets me.  Just sack up and say out loud "I want more money" or "I want to go to another team to win".

Don't do this dance about the medical staff and throw people under the bus for things they had no way of being able to diagnose or treat. 

He's trying to do the former, by doing the latter, just so he can continue to garner sympathy along the way so he can avoid any fan backlash.

That's cowardly. 

I hear you, I guess that part of it just doesn't bother me. I think it's clear he wants a new contract and to play for another team bc he doesn't like/believe in BrIce Allen and doesn't trust the medical staff.

It seems like he has mostly unanimity amongst the fanbase with that. I don't think he has to say that publicly and I don't care that he doesn't. If he did say that publicly it would hurt his rep and his value and he doesn't want that so it's smarter to be more vague rather than be specific about it. The trust is clearly gone on his end. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I hear you, I guess that part of it just doesn't bother me. I think it's clear he wants a new contract and to play for another team bc he doesn't like/believe in BrIce Allen and doesn't trust the medical staff.

It seems like he has mostly unanimity amongst the fanbase with that. I don't think he has to say that publicly and I don't care that he doesn't. If he did say that publicly it would hurt his rep and his value and he doesn't want that so it's smarter to be more vague rather than be specific about it. The trust is clearly gone on his end. 

I get why he's doing it (new contract/ play for another team). I just don't agree with how he's doing it. I think it shows low character to smear people just so you don't want your rep hurt. Because up until recently he was vague. But then he came out with the whole "they misdiagnosed and mistreated me for 6+ years" schtick along with the "I don't have any guaranteed money" angle. We all know he's doing it for the $$. So it doesn't give him the right to slander people on his way out. Because, make no mistake, he has slandered them. And that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I get why he's doing it (new contract/ play for another team). I just don't agree with how he's doing it. I think it shows low character to smear people just so you don't want your rep hurt. Because up until recently he was vague. But then he came out with the whole "they misdiagnosed and mistreated me for 6+ years" schtick along with the "I don't have any guaranteed money" angle. We all know he's doing it for the $$. So it doesn't give him the right to slander people on his way out. Because, make no mistake, he has slandered them. And that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Low character? Come on dude!

Lawsuit? His word vs the medical staff in court when they told him his cancerous growth wasn't something to worry about for years?

Yeah, try winning that case in court Mr. Team doctor.

It's not even a conversation vs him and Bruce if we're discussing their characters around the league.

Those claims don't hurt Trent’s rep at all around the league. Teams are going to want him. If he was free to sign anywhere he’d be on a team. The only reason he's not playing is bc he refuses to play for the Redskins and the Redskins won't trade him.

His character is not an issue.

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Low character? Come on dude!

Lawsuit? His word vs the medical staff in court when they told him his cancerous growth wasn't something to worry about for years?

Except all we've heard so far is his side of the story due to HIPAA laws. If the Redskins are successful in getting a review of the records by the NFL, NFLPA, and a 3rd party, it would shed light on the whole story. And not just the one that he is peddling. Because from what others have said, he was told to get a 2nd opinion. And given that I know a ton of doctors, pretty much to a person would definitely be telling the patient that they should get another doctor to check them out if the bump didn't go away. And certainly not for 6 years. Come on man, no one was stopping him from seeking a 2nd opinion.

As for the medical staff not diagnosing a cancerous growth, that's the hill you want to die on? Because then you're expecting your podiatrist to accurately diagnose melanoma? Or a proctologist to accurately diagnose strep throat? Maybe a physical therapist can accurately diagnose a heart murmur? 

No?

And why not?

You already know why. Because that isn't their specialty. A bump on the forehead of a player is going to look like a subdural hematoma. Which sounds scary but in essence is just a buildup of fluid (swelling). So the team medical staff will take a look and probably not pay it much attention due to the fact that it's on his forehead and the fact that for his job he wears a helmet.

Doctors are not automatically going to diagnose cancer for everything. And certainly not the rare form of cancer that Trent says he had. And certainly team doctors won't do that. 

Know why?

Because they aren't equipped to perform oncological diagnoses. 

And so if a bump persists, they tell the player to go get a 2nd opinion (if they haven't already gotten one).

The Redskins are claiming they did nothing wrong. Trent is claiming they did. So the Redskins are pushing to have the case reviewed by an unbiased 3rd party. Trent is refusing. Claiming he wants to put it all behind him (even though he literally kept it front and center all offseason and even now). It's very telling that the person that DOESN'T want the information to come to light is Trent. Which sends a big red flag to me that he's lying.

Yeah, try winning that case in court Mr. Team doctor.I

If he is in fact lying, it's actually not hard to win that case in court my friend.

Because he has slandered the team medical staff. Each one also has their own patients and practices. Each of those doctors belong to medical boards and organizations and must adhere to rigorous standards of conduct. 

For someone as high profile as Trent to say what he said about them, and then they get let go. They will be tarred with that accusation that they did nothing (not even tell him to get a 2nd opinion) for 6 years. Which means the slander has caused them harm (financiallly and professionally). Which means they have standing to sue...if they so choose.

So in the first main part of the lawsuit, there is a phase called discovery. During this phase, the defendant AND the plaintiff must give evidence to the other side. So everything pertaining to the lawsuit gets opened up. So in this case, Trent's medical records get turned over and they get seen in the light of day.

Which means that the trier of fact (either judge or jury) will be able to see if Trent or the Redskins are telling the truth.

If the records show Trent is lying, then the jury must find for the plaintiff.

It's not even a conversation vs him and Bruce if we're discussing their characters around the league.

Not now. But a few more years of Trent acting just like Brice and they might be in the same ballpark.

Those claims don't hurt Trent’s rep at all around the league.

That's not what you said here...

If he did say that publicly it would hurt his rep and his value and he doesn't want that so it's smarter to be more vague rather than be specific about it.

Going on...

Teams are going to want him. If he was free to sign anywhere he’d be on a team.

I have no doubt that a team would want him to play for him. But that doesn't negate the fact that he's a low character guy for taking this cowardly tactic. 

The only reason he's not playing is bc he refuses to play for the Redskins and the Redskins won't trade him.

Correct. He wants more $$ (or wants to go to a different team) and is slandering the medical staff to make him seem virtuous and squeaky clean. When in reality, the reason is more mercenary.

And yeah, the Redskins stupidly passed up a 1st from Cleveland for him. This was dumb!

His character is not an issue.

For you maybe. And maybe for some teams. But it is an issue. Which is why he's going to try so hard to prevent being exposed as a liar.