Trent Williams said the growth on his head was misdiagnosed and he had cancer

TOUCAN

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My personal issue with Trent stems more from the fact that he is trying to break a contract he signed, and he also wants to give nothing in return in order to make that happen. 

I feel for him, in a sense. It must have been scary to find out he had cancer. I can see why he’d be upset that “his doctors” were wrong about this diagnosis, and that he simply trusted them for years — even though I don’t think his take seems particularly fair, for a couple reasons. 

But I’m not sympathetic to his position about wanting out of Washington. I mean, I get why he’d want to leave — I just think it’s BS that he wants his wish granted without giving up anything in return. 

If he really cared about retained the ability to make decisions about where he was going to play, he could have done that. He could have signed only short-term contracts, to preserve his freedom of choice. Instead, he signed a 5-year extension. He knowingly and willingly traded that freedom of choice for greater security. What right does he have to reap all the benefits of that long-term deal, and then attempt to break the deal when it suits his purposes, by asserting the freedom of choice he freely bargained away? 

And if the lack of guaranteed money late in his deal is such a problem, well, he had the absolute ability to protect against that too. He signed the deal that he’s now railing against. He absolutely could have signed a Cousins-type deal to ensure that most/all of his money was guaranteed. He chose not to. He traded the security of guaranteed salary for the promise of more total money — and now that he’s earned much of the money, he’s trying to extort the Redskins to get the guarantees he decided to forego when they made the deal. 

Maybe it’s just the lawyer in me, but I believe that when a man gives his word and his promise, he stands by it. And if he reaches a point where he wants to reneges his promise, he should at least have the decency to find a way to make it work out okay for the other side (that he’s screwing over). 

He could have come back and played a couple games before the deadline, in order to help build his value. He could have not reported at all, to preserve the two years left on his contract, in order to help maintain his trade value in the offseason. He could even just play out the season now that he’s reported, to rebuild some of his trade value. 

Instead, he’s taken a course that appears to be intended to screw the Redskins at every turn. And that’s what I don’t respect. He is the one who wants to renege on the contract — he could at least have worked with them to help accommodate his demand, but he’s obviously determined just to have his cake and eat it too. 

My rebuttal would be that the nature of NFL contracts (having a significant portion of non-guaranteed money) are inherently unfair towards the players, especially in a full contact sport where they could lose the ability to continue playing on any given Sunday.  What the contracts should really be like is that the players get every cent of the contracts they sign, and there needs to be some kind of built in clause for teams to recoop cap savings (not actual money) if they need to cut a player.  

So to say that Trent Williams should honor a contract until the last day of said contract when the team will without a doubt cut him before that happens isn't fair.  There is no chance the Redskins organization honors his contract as is, they would either extend or cut him before the contract is up.  As an example, do you think the Redskins will honor Josh Norman's contract next year?  

Also, to say that he should of pushed for a Kirk Cousins type of contract is a poor comparison, as no other player in the history of the NFL has received a 100% guaranteed contract.  Kirk only received that because of extraordinary circumstances, and the fact that he's a QB.  

• Like 1

The Redskins suggest a neutral third party review the redskins Trent medical records. Trent tell the union he doesn’t want them reviewed. 

he trashed medical team staff, harmed their reputations and now wants to move on? 

it was never about the medical it was always about the money. He signed a contract and has chosen not to honor it. You know I can’t stand what Dan Brice and Jay did transforming our once great franchise into the toilet SnyderSkins, but in this case 100% of this situation is on Trent. Yes they should have traded him last summer, yes Brice is a complete incompetent, but when a man signs a contract and chooses not to honor it, he’s a bum. No sympathy for Trent and I hope they make sure this year doesn’t count towards in contract expiring or his pension 
doc out. 

• Like 1

What makes me shrug and almost laugh in all this is everyone talking about how he is the best player on our team. 

Think about this, if TW was here all season, do you guys really think we would have won any more games?  Would our offense be significantly better?

12 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This is irrelevant to this specifically, but I like it when people blame players for not "honoring their contracts" when teams don't every day. 

This is completely untrue.  Teams always honor contracts, the contracts just have exit options.  If a player wants an all guaranteed contract he can ask for it, that doesn't mean he will get it.

his contract had 30m guaranteed. When the money and guarantees run out he decides to not honor the contract? What if he had a career ending injury in year 1 of the contract? He’d get 30m. I know it’s hard to be with our incompetent management, but in this case I can’t understand any Trent sympathy.

Current Contract

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $68,000,000
Signing Bonus $8,100,000
Average Salary $13,600,000
Total Guarantees $41,250,000
Guaranteed at Signing $30,000,000
Free Agent: 2021 / UFA

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

But hey I’m a GOBb

p4443_gobb_f.jpg

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

What makes me shrug and almost laugh in all this is everyone talking about how he is the best player on our team. 

Think about this, if TW was here all season, do you guys really think we would have won any more games?  Would our offense be significantly better?

He can be the best player on the team and bc he plays OL, him being on the team wouldn’t make a huge huge difference in games we would have won too. So, the answer can be yes to both.

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

his contract had 30m guaranteed. When the money and guarantees run out he decides to not honor the contract? What if he had a career ending injury in year 1 of the contract? He’d get 30m. I know it’s hard to be with our incompetent management, but in this case I can’t understand any Trent sympathy.

Current Contract

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $68,000,000
Signing Bonus $8,100,000
Average Salary $13,600,000
Total Guarantees $41,250,000
Guaranteed at Signing $30,000,000
Free Agent: 2021 / UFA

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

But hey I’m a GOBb

p4443_gobb_f.jpg

Actually he got $30 million at signing - which is what he wanted. He has $11.25 million more in guarantees after signing. He took the $ up front, that was the smart thing to do but then to act like he didn’t get paid yet bc he doesn’t have that much more left in guarantees is quite ridiculous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

This is completely untrue.  Teams always honor contracts, the contracts just have exit options.  If a player wants an all guaranteed contract he can ask for it, that doesn't mean he will get it.

Not all contracts have “exit options.” Teams can cut a player at almost any time and sometimes not have to pay them anymore money.

On the flip side, front office and coaches contracts are guaranteed unless they’re fired for cause or they just flat out quit, which is rare.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not all contracts have “exit options.” Teams can cut a player at almost any time and sometimes not have to pay them anymore money.

On the flip side, front office and coaches contracts are guaranteed unless they’re fired for cause or they just flat out quit, which is rare.

I think we are on the same page.  The exit thing was just an example. 

WHat I am trying to communicate is I think most people believe in what is a total fallacy that NFL teams renege on contracts.  The only party who reneges,  holds out, etc are players.

Sure teams can usually cut players at any time, but they always have to pay the guaranteed amount of a contract.  They never ever do not meet their contractual requirements.  Cutting, trading, does not equate to teams reneging on contracts.  Everyone acts like this is what is going on, but it is simply not the case.

Players should negotiate better if that is what they want.  If they want no trade clauses, all guarantee, etc that is up to them.  Teams might refuse to offer it, but the players don't have to play.  Look at the cousins contract.  They can cut him, but it is all guaranteed so he gets all his duckets no matter what.  

• Like 1

Trent Williams has publically accused medical professionals of risking his health, even his life, in favor of the team. He has accused them, in the public, of gross malpractice in a form that would not only result in a substantial civil suit, but also result in medical licenses being revoked and those individuals being unable to practice medicine in the Western world ever again. In short, this accusation, if true, is a life ender for several people.

Williams could have simply said he didnt want to play for the Redskins or Bruce Allen. But he didnt. He doesnt get to take that back now. This now has to be investigated. 

• Like 3

If I were advising Trent I would strongly encourage him to make an immediate public apology to the Medical staff. 

if I were advising the individuals that make up the medical staff I would strongly encourage them to file a case very soon as the Virginia statute of limitations for libel, slander and defamation 8.201-247 is one year. 

I hope Trent has saved some of that guarantee money, he might need it. 

ps.

im-not-a-5af0bf.jpg

Edited by Doc Draper

14 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

The Redskins suggest a neutral third party review the redskins Trent medical records. Trent tell the union he doesn’t want them reviewed. 

he trashed medical team staff, harmed their reputations and now wants to move on? 

it was never about the medical it was always about the money. He signed a contract and has chosen not to honor it. You know I can’t stand what Dan Brice and Jay did transforming our once great franchise into the toilet SnyderSkins, but in this case 100% of this situation is on Trent. Yes they should have traded him last summer, yes Brice is a complete incompetent, but when a man signs a contract and chooses not to honor it, he’s a bum. No sympathy for Trent and I hope they make sure this year doesn’t count towards in contract expiring or his pension 
doc out. 

I wouldn’t want my medical records reviewed by a 3rd party that my employer picks either. That’s a big had Eff NO for me!

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

If I were advising Trent I would strongly encourage him to make an immediate public apology to the Medical staff. 

if I were advising the individuals that make up the medical staff I would strongly encourage them to file a case very soon as the Virginia statute of limitations for libel, slander and defamation 8.201-247 is one year. 

I hope Trent has saved some of that guarantee money, he might need it. 

ps.

im-not-a-5af0bf.jpg

It’s amazing people are defending the redskins medical staff now! Flip flop much?? 

• Like 1