BYU Dynasty - The Stormin' Mormons - Preseason, Year 1, 2031

Dome

Week 1 Game:

BYE

Week 1 Recruiting:

Max Phone time with:
Both 5 star recruits, WR C Peters and DT P Walker. Don't like my odds, I'll see what happens next week.
Juco Jr, HB J Miller (4.36 speed HB, I think he could be an instant starter for a couple years and he has us as a top school)
TE T Rodgers - (4.68 speed and 396 bench, looking like strong inline combo TE with his 267lbs packed into a 6' 3" frame)
Both Guards, R Graham and A Wright
The Center, J Bray
All 3 of the 3-star DTs, J WIlson, J Cooke and M Adams.

• Like 1

Week 2 Game:

The BYU Cougars make the relatively short bus ride up to Moscow, Idaho to take on the Idaho Vandals in Taysom Hill's home state. Taysom's first week recruiting took a lot more out of him than he expected. His offense is still being implemented and is schematically much simpler than you'd expect a college coach to run. [NCAA12speak for 'I didn't set up any formation subs or edit the custom depth chart for the 1st game. I want a sample of what the CPU recommends first']

Both teams enter the game (0-0) and want to start this season off on the right foot.

Gameplan: Air Raid 

65% pass / 35% run - 65% aggressive

63% offensive subs

Idaho has a decent secondary and LBer group, just like us. But their DL isn't good and is facing a strong opponent in BYU's offensive line. We can spread the defense out and force them to make a decision between giving our QB all day to throw or freeing up receivers when they blitz. Our lack of a TE won't be such an issue this week either, ideally.

3-3-5 Defense vs Idaho Single Back offense

70% pass defense / 30% run defense - 70% aggressive

58% defensive subs

Decided to run a 3-3-5 due to my terrible DL. My LBers are strong and should help make up for it blitzing and stopping the run, and we have OK depth at the secondary to bring a nickel in more often. Idaho has an awful line, so if I play this aggressive we should be able to get them behind schedule often. We can force turnovers and punts against this offense, generating pressure with our linebackers. They have decent weapons at RB/WR/TE, but no threat at QB. If we can affect the QB we can shut down their offense. Their C and RG are both under 70 OVR and nobody else on the line is over 76.

RESULTS: 

WIN
BYU 38 - Idaho 10

Week 2 Stats

Soph. QB J Holmes went 8/13 for 85 yards and a touchdown before spending the 2nd half on the bench after a good showing and early lead.
Senior QB stepped in and threw for 210 yards on 25 attempts with 3 scores and an INT in mop-up time.
--- Next week I'll turn down the QB sub settings.

Soph. power runner HB D Davis got most of the work this week rushing 81 yards on 12 carries.
RS Senior S Jackson found similar production on 7 carries while fullback L Hawkins took over the short yardage duties, rushing for 14 yards on 4 carries.

RS Soph. WR J Sullivan went OFF! 11 catches for 234 yards and 3 TDs! WOW
Nobody else had more than 2 catches or 22 yards.
Taysom Hill has found his Michael Thomas.

The defense combined for 12 TFLs (ROLB R Lowe and LE Z Wright with 4 each) and 4 sacks (LE Z Wright w/ 1.5) while intercepting Idaho twice for 69 yards (nice) and one score.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Week 3 Recruiting (Week 2 recruiting was skipped by mistake, Taysom Hill is still learning how to coach in the NCAA) :$

Several players have gotten more interested in BYU without any time invested. I can only assume these are good strong Mormon men looking to help out wherever they can. I'll be offering them scholarships if I think they can be of use in any way.

ATH B Brown
QB K McCoy
ATH J Hall
WR B Burch
T J Merrick

Some players are going to leave my board

Texas born DT J Cooke looks like he has his heart set on Texas Tech.
Colorado Springs local WR C Rhodes looks like he wants to stay near home and play for Colorado.
Northern Cali native DT J Wilson wants to stay local too, choosing between Fresno State and Oregon State. 
5 star recruit DT P Walker apparently has never heard of BYU, and is not interested in playing here.

And to replace them I've added 4 more DTs to the recruiting board. J Swan and M Robinson both look landable based on the interest in them right now.

1644 N Fontenot DT 6-6, 275 IA 2 5.14 3.42 500 D-
83 J Swan DT 6-6, 269 OK 4 4.84 444 620 D-
140 S Graham DT 6-0, 281 LA 4 4.94 444 605 D-
174 M Robinson DT 6-4,275 UT* 4 4.86 432 640 D-

Max phone time:
Max phone time with all 5 of my DT recruits. (-1 hour each)
4 star HB T Leonard 
4 star WR B Richardson
4 star ATH B Brown 

Some high ranking prospects that have me at #1 but are getting recruited by other schools got 30 minute phone calls: WR C Jackson,  CB A Taylor, OLB K Goddard, Jr JUCO HB J Miller

Edited by Dome

Week 3 Game
Idaho, part 2.

The Idahoans comes to BYU this week in a matchup with Boise State. Boise St is currently ranked #6 in the nation and we're gonna need a miracle to pull off an upset.

Offense: Pro Style

60/40 in favor of passing - 65% aggressive

63% offensive subs.

Boise St has an elite d-line. Their secondary is strong as well. BYU hopes to use their strong offensive line and fullback to attack the middle of the defense where the linebackers are the weak link. I hope a bit of aggression leads to some big play action gains. We can't play small ball, but we're gonna have to pick and choose our shots.

Defense: 3-4

70/30 in favor of defending the pass - 55% aggressive

58% defensive subs

Boise has a great offense, we're gonna keep everything in front of us. They're going to have to beat us one play at a time if we can limit anything big, that's the plan anyways. I don't expect it to work in theory.

RESULTS

LOSS
BYU 10 - Boise State 34

Not as bad as it could've been.

Week 3 Stats:

Soph QB J Holmes struggled mightily against Boise's line. They got to him all day long and his 33% completion percentage shows it. Still, he only turned the ball over once while under fire all day long.

Fullback L Hawkins finally set the tone in the 2nd quarter and broke free for a 39 yard TD run after going down 14-0 in the first quarter. He got the rest of the carries in this one, carrying 11 times for 81 yards.
Soph D Davis was injured early and only had 1 run for 5 yards while RS Senior S Jackson ran 4 times for 11 yards.

As expected when you see a QB completing 33% of his passes, nobody did anything of note as a receiver.

Defensively we failed to register a sack, but we had 4 rushing stops and an interception by Soph SS C Denman. Boise's offense was far too much for us to handle as the game got into the late 3rd quarter.

• Like 1

Week 4 Recruiting
2 players commit to BYU.

WR Beau Richardson (4 star) and OLB Kevin Goddard (3 star)

Beau Richardson is a 6' 3" possession WR with decent speed and acceleration, he lacks ideal agility.

Kevin Goddard is a 3-down linebacker who can do a little bit of everything. 

Scholarship offers were made to 9 others:

WR C Jackson
HB T Leonard
CB A Taylor
T T Estes
ATH B Brown
DT M Adam
QB K McCoy
HB J Miller
DT N Fontenot

Week 4 Game

The Wyoming Cowboys make the trip over to Provo for this showdown. Both teams are 1-1 and hope to come out with a winning record.

Offensive Game Plan: Spread Offense - 60/40 in favor of passing, 70 aggression, 53 substitutions

Wyoming's defense is awful. We're gonna play fast paced and run the ball a lot, hopefully wearing them down into a blowout. 

Defensive Game Plan: 3-3-5 Defense - 65/35 in favor of pass defense, 65 aggression, 63 substitutions

Wyoming's offense is also awful. We should have a good day against them.

Results:

WIN
BYU 41 - Wyoming 10

Stats:

Both Soph. J Holmes and Backup RS Senior J Young had decent games, throwing for a combined 274 yards on 40 attempts with 3 TDs and 2 INTs to show for it. I would've liked to see them play a little safer with the football, but we were playing quite aggressive.

RS Senior RB Jackson led the team in both attempts and yards, going 13 for 82 with a score.
Soph RB D Davis played sparingly, taking his 5 carries 32 yards.
Fullback L Hawkins had another great game, carrying 12 times for 74 yards and 2 scores.

FB Hawkins also found the endzone on one of his two receptions, taking it 6 yards for the score.
Soph. WR J Sullivan had another big game, going 126 yards on 9 catches, he scored a TD as well.

Soph DE S Hayden had 2 TFLs and a sack, while CB Matt Jude and both FS found their hands on interceptions.

*** WYO QB R Jefferson was contained to 64 yards while throwing 3 INTs ***

Edited by Dome

Week 5 Recruiting

Removing some recruits from my board

C J Bray looks like he'll go to UW to play for the Huskies.
G R Graham looks like he's playing for the SMU Mustangs, a school close to home
OLB A  Leak is going to pick a California school
ATH R Blanco will stay closer to home.
G A Wright will choose CU. 
DE R James will play for UCLA.
T B Fitzpatrick will play in California somewhere.
DT J Swan isn't remotely interested
Neither is DT S Graham

Call Times

OLB V Gibbons - 60 minutes
CB J McNair - 60 minutes
DT M Robinson - 60 minutes
WR C Peters - 60 minutes
CB I Redd - 60 minutes + Offer Made
CB A Taylor - 60 minutes
QB K McCoy - 60 minutes
TE T Rodgers - 60 minutes + Offer Made
HB J Davis - 60 minutes + Offer Made
OLB A Rodgers - 60 minutes + Offer Made

TE T Rodgers commits to sign with BYU. Really excited about this guy. OK speed, great strength and frame for the position. Looks like a slightly less athletic Delanie Walker, should be a guy who plays a lot as a freshman, as he was promised.

And I added some guys to my recruiting board (I'll update it tomorrow with all their info)

ATH L Harvey
WR A Davis
ATH C Jamison
ATH J Stewart
DE C Parham
DE S McLauglin
T A Page
G R Avery
C Will Alexander

Week 5 Game

The 2-1 BYU Cougars head to Sin City to face the UNLV Rebels.

Offense: Run and Gun - 70/30 in favor of passing, 70 aggressiveness, 63 substitutions

Should be a good day for our offense.

Defense: 3-3-5 - 70/30 stop the pass, 70 aggressiveness, 68 subs

I want to get a lot of guys rotating this game, I don't care if it's not as big a win as we could have had.

RESULTS

WIN
BYU 28 - UNLV 20

Close one.

Game Recap

Soph. QB J Holmes struggled. Maybe we were too aggressive with a mostly inexperienced QB at the helm. I think we're going to move him into a Spread offense and run with that the rest of the year, that's where he's having the most success.

We ran the ball well FB Hawkins and RS Senior S Jackson ran 13 times for 76 yards and 1 TD a piece. We should've stuck with what was working with Holmes struggling to move the offense. 

RB S Jackson was our leading receiver for receptions, bringing in 5 catches for 41 yards. Soph WR J Sullivan brought in 3 catches for 63 yards.

Jr DT Downing had 5 TFLs against the run while OLB R Lowe had 4 of his own.

The defense had 3 sacks and forced one turnover in this close one. That turnover may have decided the game.

Week 6 Recruiting

Called:

OLB A Rodgers - 60 minutes
T J Merrick - 60 minutes
WR A Davis - 60 minutes
OLB V Gibbons - 60 minutes 
WR B Burch - 60 minutes
CB A Taylor - 60 minutes
WR J Miller - 60 minutes 
FS T Moore - 60 minutes 
ATH J Stewart - 60 minutes 
DE C Parham - 60 minutes

Dropped:

DT G Robinson
CB J McNair
G R Avery
C W Alexander
ATH C Jamison
DE S McLaughlin
T A Paige
WR C Peters

Added: 

ATH C Riley
ATH G Ivey
ATH B Johnson
CB J Williams
T D Williams
G J Morgan
G S Dorsey
G G Wilson

Week 6 Game

BYU goes down to Houston to take on the SMU Mustangs. They're 5-0 and are a tough matchup. We'll need everyone clicking on all cylinders, plus a little bit of that classic Mormon luck for this one.

Offense: Run and Shoot - 50/50  pass/run - 50% aggressive - 53% subs

The SMU defense isn't particularly formidable, particularly right up the middle. We want to spread them out and run the ball a lot. The longer we can keep the ball away from their offense the better.

Defense: 3-3-5 defense - 65/35 pass vs run - 60% aggressive - 53% subs

SMU has a high octane offense. They've got a bulldozer of a HB rated 91 overall as well as a 91 QB and two WRs over 85. We're gonna have our work cut out for us today. We'll keep everything in front of us like we did vs Boise State.

RESULTS

LOSS
BYU 10 - SMU 38

Woof.

Not gonna dig into the stats for this one. It should've been a close game, it's time to move on.

But it was our Sophomore QBs fault.

Edited by Dome

Gonna just get to the bye week tending to my recruits and update my board for you then. Two more games

Week 7 - Utah State

BYU makes a trip across the great state of Utah to take on the Aggies in a rivalry game.

Offense: Run and Shoot with a 40/60 lean towards running the ball since Soph QB J Homes is struggling so badly. 60% aggressive w/ 53% subs.

Defense: 3-3-5 with a 65% lean towards pass coverage and 65% aggressiveness, 53 subs

We have a better team by a pretty significant margin, we should beat them on both sides of the ball.

Results: WIN (BYU 31 - UTAH STATE 21)

J Holmes threw for 265 yards and a TD on 30 attempts, he was sacked once and fumbled on one of those sacks.

Powerback Soph D Davis rushed for 130 yards on 23 attempts and a score. Speedy back S Jackson played change of pace guy and had 11 rushes for 54 yards and his own TD.

Soph J Sullivan continues to impress. A good day for him at 6 catches for 80 yards and a score when we're trying to emphasize running the ball.

The defense racked up 10 TFLs ( B Thompson with 4) and 5 sacks (B Thompson with 2) as well as a pick 6 by CB I Hogan. Outstanding defensive game on he road.

Week 8 - Colorado

This should be a close game at home. Our defense is a bit better than theirs but other than that we're pretty evenly matched up. The preparation this week is going to be the difference. 

Offense: Run and Shoot - 35/70 run favor, 55% aggressive, 58% substitutions

They've got some weaknesses in the front seven as well as serious depth issues. We're trying to wear them out, we think we can win on the ground. They have two quality safeties, no need to test them if we don't have to.

Defense: 3-3-5 - 65/35 pass defense favored, 60% aggressive, 53 subs

This worked well last week so we'll stick with the plan. I'll be a little less aggressive here because they have a solid offensive line and I think we'll have better luck trying to test their QBs arm against tight coverage than sending multiple blitzers and leaving guys open.

RESULTS: LOSS - BYU 28 - CU 30

Soph J Holmes was playing great, but got injured early in this one. He left the game with 77 yards and a score on 10 attempts.
RS Senior J Young stepped in and messed everything up, completing just 48% of his passes in a close one.

Soph power runner D Davis had another good game, rushing for 92 yards and 2 touchdowns on 17 attempts.
Backup speedster S Jackson rushed for 73 yards and a TD of his own on 12 attempts.

CU absolutely stifled standout WR J Sullivan. Locked him down to 6 yards on two catches.
The guys behind him couldn't get the job done without him, when QB Holmes went out it was all over.

Defensively we made some big plays. We had 8 TFLs, a sack and a FF but Colorados QB took advantage of our plan to sit back and wait for him to make a mistake.

We make it to a bye week at 4-3... not ideal but the sky isn't falling.

Edited by Dome

48 minutes ago, theJ said:

So do your players have to quit football for a year or w/e like the real Mormons do?

IDK but im making a ton of freshman playing time promises so I hope not. xD

Week 9 Bye

BYU Signings at the end of Week 9

4-STAR WR  Beau Richardson - Beau is a 6' 3" possession receiver with 4.46 speed. He's not likely to be the sharpest route runner but should be a great downfield matchup on slower corners and safeties.

4-STAR WR Andrew Davis -  Andrew is a 6' speedster who ran a 4.4 flat. He's got good agility and acceleration and should be a playmaker right away.

3-STAR TE Tracy Rodgers - Rodgers has functional speed (4.68) for his size (6-3, 259) and appears to be quite strong with blocking skills already developing nicely. He won't be a star but he should be a very important piece to our offense.

3-STAR OLB Adam Rogers - Rogers is a 213 pound thumper. He's not a great athlete but he's got strong read and react ability in coverage to make up for his lack of athleticism.

3-STAR OLB Kieth Goddard - Goddard is an every down linebacker. He's got good size (6-1, 234) and speed (4.56) and shouldn't have to leave the field often once he's entrenched as a starter.

Other Prospects likely to sign with BYU

4-STAR HB Terrance Leonard - Terry is a great all around HB. (6-1, 191)

4-STAR WR Curtis Jackson - Another possession WR with good measurables. (6-3, 204)

4-STAR ATH Brian Brown - This mighty mite lacks the size (5-9, 182) you're looking for just about anywhere on the field, but he's an outstanding athlete. He'll probably play CB or SS.

4-STAR ATH Luke Harvey - 6' 1" tall and 190 pounds. Looking at Harvey to play in the secondary or as a pass catcher for us depending on his skills.

4- STAR HB Robert Griffin - Griffin is lanky RB (6-1, 215) who runs hard. He may get converted to Fullback.

Week 10 Game

BYU heads to Pullman to face the WSU Cougars. Looking at the rosters, we have the edge, but WSU always puts up a fight.

Offense: Run and Shoot, 35/65 in favor of running 60% aggressive.

We're not changing much offensively. With our backup QB getting the start we'll play conservative

Defense: 3-3-5,  65/35 and 65% aggressive

We've been getting alright pressure with this considering what we have at DL. We'll stick with it.

RESULTS: LOSS - BYU 28 - WSU 35

DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT

We were up 21-14 with going into the 4th quarter.

We score a TD on the 1st play of Q4 to go up 28-14.

WSU scores on their next drive. (28-21)

WSU scores a pick 6 on our next drive. (28-28)

WSU scores a fumble recovery on our next drive (28-35)

Edited by Dome

Our QBs have proven they're just game managers right now, when they're asked to play important games they just aren't getting it done. Going real run heavy to end out the year. Our Soph RB Davis looks really good and needs some playing time. We've got some cupcakes coming up, we're going power football on them.