2010s Horror - Official FF BMET (Nominations Closed)

Deadpulse

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, artistically it is better than them all arguably but like you said it is not really a horror movie.  More gothic but really it is a Neo-Noir film, just like the original 'Let the Right On In' I would not call a horror movie either.  Ana Lily Amirpour has kind of disappointed after making such a wonderful film I would say, The Bad Batch sucked.

Her in that hijab on the skateboard is bad to the freaking bone though, super cool but not sure it is horror however.  The music in that film is really standout though, Bashy is freaking tight!

I'm not disagreeing with you  per se, but out of the categories offered I think its intersection with horror is stronger than anything else, if for no other reason than its stylistic homage to Nosferatu.     It's not a no-brainer inclusion.... that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

you spelled Repulsion  wrong. and Kuroneko wrong. and Blood and Black Lace wrong. and Peeping Tom wrong. and Witchfinder General wrong.

Okay, one thing on all of that... You gotta remember this is not Film School’s Future. There might be 10 people on this site who have seen those five movies.  They won’t win.  

Additionally, I don’t think any of those with the possible exception of Repulsion had as big an impact in the genre as NOTLD.

Peeping Tom created the slasher, but nobody will accept that.  It’s Halloween that created the genre in 99% of people’s eyes.

Edited by Outpost31

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Okay, one thing on all of that... You gotta remember this is not Film School’s Future. There might be 10 people on this site who have seen those five movies.  They won’t win.  

Additionally, I don’t think any of those with the possible exception of Repulsion had as big an impact in the genre as NOTLD.

you're right nobody has seen them, but Blood and Black Lace had a MASSSSSIVe influence on horror movies that followed.

5 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

you're right nobody has seen them, but Blood and Black Lace had a MASSSSSIVe influence on horror movies that followed.

Ehhhh.  I think that was Bava’s previous film The Girl Who Knew Too Much that started the Giallo craze.  Peeping Tom, too.  

Interesting discussion on the thriller/horror aspects in all those, too.  I feel like Carpenter is due a lot of credit for giving Halloween a supernatural element.  Calling Meyers The Shape, can’t be killed quality, preternatural/supernatural quality.  

It might not have invented the slasher, but it gave us Freddy, Jason and every other supernatural “slasher.”

Edited by Outpost31

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Ehhhh.  I think that was Bava’s previous film The Girl Who Knew Too Much that started the Giallo craze.  Peeping Tom, too.  

it was his first giallo film to REALLY ramp up the violence, nudity, and body count.  Basically the "to do list" of b-movie horror studios from the early 70s to the early 90s

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

it was his first giallo film to REALLY ramp up the violence, nudity, and body count.  Basically the "to do list" of b-movie horror studios from the early 70s to the early 90s

Still chicken/egg type thing for me but I wouldn’t argue too much on it.  Feel like he couldn’t have ramped it up if not for Peeping Tom and a few others that paved the way for violence and sexuality at all, much less gratuitous.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Still chicken/egg type thing for me but I wouldn’t argue too much on it.  Feel like he couldn’t have ramped it up if not for Peeping Tom and a few others that paved the way for violence and such.  

absolutely, we can always trace influence back to the very first film , the first talkie, etc.  the failure of Peeping Tom probably deprived us of 3-4 more great Powell films, for that matter. And that's a pretty big impact on cinema!

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wait, @Deadpulse, I didn’t bother to read how this is going to work.

Are we basically whittling it down to 8 best in a decade, then putting those 8 against each other to determine 1 best of per decade?  Or will there be 8 ranked per decade?

This thread will decide a Horror genre representative for the 2010s. The amount of votes the winning flick gets will determine its seeding for the horror genre bracket. That bracket will decide the best Horror movie of all time according to us. Then we move onto the next genre. 

Sorry about the delay. Poll will be up in just a minute. 

• Like 1

I just want everybody to know that I am nominating and voting for The Thing (1982) in both sci fi and horror.  I know it will not win best for either overall, and although that will bum me out something fierce, I will be able to accept it without embarrassing myself.