LB Vontaze Burfict reinstated

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, theJ said:

To the bolded yes.

Re: the second paragraph - by the letter of the law it's an illegal hit, yes.  He hit a receiver that was defenseless with his helmet in the helmet.  It was a dumb hit, and the flag plus a penalty or 1/2 game suspension probably doesn't garner much attention other than it's Burfict.  But it's also a hit that happens several times/game.  It's not particularly malicious, it's just a dumb hit.

I get that he's known as a head hunter, and that's pretty well correct.  In this particular case, with Doyle on the ground, he wasn't left with much of a target area.

Again, i get it.  I completely understand the suspension.  But given the routine-ness of the hit, the suspension creates an appearance that the NFL was set on suspending him at some point and were just waiting on the first helmet to helmet hit to come along.

That’s a fair statement. I’m not all the way there on it being a routine hit, but it certainly wasn’t at the level of many of his other offenses, so I can see where you’re coming from.