Since I’m bored let’s look @ why Fletcher should be in the HoF

turtle28

On 3/29/2020 at 8:56 AM, JoshstraDaymus said:

This is a loaded thing, because often times with Pro Bowls and All-Pros it comes down to name and team performance as a whole. London toiled away in Buffalo and then in Washington. ILB is one of those positions that often goes to the most recognizable name and since Baltimore was a new franchise and was achieving decently, Lewis got the nod.

London was far more durable too.

This.

Guys, you REALLY don't want me to break out the 3 more times Art frickin' Monk should've made the Pro Bowl and was passed over for other players who had worse performance on their teams but whose teams won the SB.

Also - take a look at the competition for those Pro Bowls. Not much in terms of competition for Lewis. Fletcher had some pretty great competition each year with some better name recognition (due to the overall defense and team performance)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

London should be remembered for also being an iron man for his entire career in arguably the most physically demanding player in the NFL, something Lewis certainly wasn’t. London beats Lewis in that area and certainly in character.

You put that w/ London’s personal production and he should be in the Hall.

Except we're going to remember London Flecther 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

You want to drive yourself crazy? 

Compare Michael Irvin's stats to Gary Clark's

Exactly! I always want to bring up Gary Clark too, but many fans - especially non-Redskins fans - are a hard NO on him, but if they did their homework they’d see he’s gotten the shaft!

I’m fine with London being in HOF consideration, but if we’re suggesting that he was better than Ray Lewis, we’re gonna need to get some folks a time machine or NFL Game Pass — because it wasn’t really close. 

Ray is the best defensive player I’ve ever seen. Full stop. I was really too young for LT, and while I do remember seeing Reggie White play, he was  winding down a bit at that point (mostly GB memories, not PHI). Since those two, Ray is atop my list. His speed, tackling, instincts, and yes, swagger and leadership set him apart from everyone else. He created an attitude with his play and with his approach and persona and intensity that really persists to this day. Those defenses were much greater than the sum of their parts, because they believed they could fly around and smother anyone out there. That was because of Ray Lewis. All you have to look at is the playoff game where he stole Eddie George’s soul — that summed up what he meant to that team. After that, they knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t be beaten that year.

People often try to diminish him by pointing to Ed Reed, but I think they’re forgetting that Ed Reed wasn’t drafted until 2004. Ray was already a HOFer by then: 6x PB, 4x 1st Team AP, 2x Second Team AP, 2x Defensive POY, Super Bowl champion/MVP. Prior to 2004. He could have retired the day Ed Reed was drafted and still made the HOF. Not an exaggeration at all. 

I love London Fletcher. I hope his HOF candidacy gets some serious traction. But trying to compare him to Ray Lewis is not the way to do it. Two separate teams let London Fletcher walk away in the prime of his career; Ray Lewis’s one and only team built a statue of him next to Johnny Unitas. If you’re trying to compare London to HOF MLBs, try Brian Urlacher. Or Zach Thomas, if he ever gets in. Ray Lewis has a deserved place in the inner circle; London was never on that vaunted level. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 2:42 PM, e16bball said:

I’m fine with London being in HOF consideration, but if we’re suggesting that he was better than Ray Lewis, we’re gonna need to get some folks a time machine or NFL Game Pass — because it wasn’t really close. 

Ray is the best defensive player I’ve ever seen. Full stop. I was really too young for LT, and while I do remember seeing Reggie White play, he was  winding down a bit at that point (mostly GB memories, not PHI). Since those two, Ray is atop my list. His speed, tackling, instincts, and yes, swagger and leadership set him apart from everyone else. He created an attitude with his play and with his approach and persona and intensity that really persists to this day. Those defenses were much greater than the sum of their parts, because they believed they could fly around and smother anyone out there. That was because of Ray Lewis. All you have to look at is the playoff game where he stole Eddie George’s soul — that summed up what he meant to that team. After that, they knew they wouldn’t/couldn’t be beaten that year.

People often try to diminish him by pointing to Ed Reed, but I think they’re forgetting that Ed Reed wasn’t drafted until 2004. Ray was already a HOFer by then: 6x PB, 4x 1st Team AP, 2x Second Team AP, 2x Defensive POY, Super Bowl champion/MVP. Prior to 2004. He could have retired the day Ed Reed was drafted and still made the HOF. Not an exaggeration at all. 

I love London Fletcher. I hope his HOF candidacy gets some serious traction. But trying to compare him to Ray Lewis is not the way to do it. Two separate teams let London Fletcher walk away in the prime of his career; Ray Lewis’s one and only team built a statue of him next to Johnny Unitas. If you’re trying to compare London to HOF MLBs, try Brian Urlacher. Or Zach Thomas, if he ever gets in. Ray Lewis has a deserved place in the inner circle; London was never on that vaunted level. 

Ed Reed was drafted 24th overall in 2002 (yeah, and he only had 21 ints in his first 3 years - 5 as a rookie) and yes, the Redskins passed/missed on him bcthey traded down were too focused on taking a QB and took Patrick Ramsey.

My, my, my! The Redskins Can't even see Hall of Fame potential in a draft, of course neither did 23 other teams but, we should've taken Reed instead of trading down in that draft.

Are we going to pretend that Ed Reed wasn't arguably the best safety to ever play the game? He complimented Ray well, Ed was a quiet cerebral player, while Lewis was a boisterous over the top attention seeker. 

Other than that, it's hard to disagree with this post but, what also shouldn't be overlooked is a clear difference between  London & Ray is character.

One guy was a man of the year candidate over and over - London Fletcher.

The other one should’ve went to prison for obstruction of justice and should have never played another down of football in the NFL after 1999. If Ray Lewis had gone to prison, he never wins a Super Bowl.

Edited by turtle28

55 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Other than that, it's hard to disagree with this post but, what also shouldn't be overlooked as a clear difference between the two is character.

One guy was a man of the year candidate over and over - London Fletcher.

You know what’s funny about this is? It’s been proven time and time again that the voters take character into consideration (TO) but this type of thing gets lost in the shuffle.

• Like 1