favourite stats and info bites

Shady Slim

so here's a fun thread, what are all of our favourite stats or little nuggets of information that make following the league quirky and exciting

mine would have to be that the only team to beat the 85 bears (who to me are the GOAT), in doing so then keeping the 72 dolphins as the only undefeated team, was also a dolphins outfit: just find it pretty quirky and fun, especially given that they absolutely drubbed the bears that day too

The fun but sad history of Chiefs QBs is always interesting. The last time a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game for the Chiefs was in 1987. Brodie Croyle is the only drafted Chiefs QB to have started a game for the Chiefs since 1987, and he went a perfect 0-10 as a starter. Doug Hudson did start a game for the Chiefs in 1987, but was benched after totaling 1 attempt, 1 incompletion, 1 sack (for a safety), and 1 rush for 0 yards. That was in October 1987. Blackledge was the actual last starter to win a game in September 1987, despite trying reeeeeally hard not to do so (6/15, one INT, 4 sacks.)

Outside the Chiefs, I've always loved the Dave Hampton game, as Len Dawson called it. RB for the Falcons in the 70s. Came into a game like 70 yards or something like that away from 1000 yards on the season. Which for the time was still uncommon, and had never happened for the Falcons. And the Falcons were really bad back then, mind you. Never had a winning season, IIRC, so not much to celebrate. So the final game, Hampton hits 1001 yards. They stop the game, give him the game ball, do this whole celebration for it during the game. A little bit later Hampton gets one more carry, the QB stumbles, pitches it to Hampton, Hampton drops the ball, recovers it and loses 6 yards. Doesn't touch the ball again that game. Ends up at 995 on the season. Then at 997 the season after.

I have followed pro football since the 50's and pretty well seen it all, but I found it unbelievable that Brady could lead such a comeback in the last SB. I almost turned the game off, but decided to watch just a little longer and holy cow!!!

I am Cleveland, Buffalo and Detroit fan. Cleveland was the only game on Toronto TV(I was lucky and got to see every one of Jimmy Brown's games) till Buffalo came into existence and about 30 years ago I moved close to Detroit and added them to my list.

My biggest heartbreak was Buffalo screwing up 2 games. The Tennessee game when they lost on the last play(Buffalo fans will remember the play) and the missed FG in the SB, ugh?????????? I guess you could add a decade of rotten football by all 3 teams although with the death of Ford, Detroit is showing some promise. After all, it only took them 50 years between franchise QB's, yeah, they blew 50 years of drafting without finding one and Cleveland just might match that????

Archived