Patricia/McDaniels vs. Crennel/Weis

everlong

6 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

If we're talking about just their Patriots careers, think Crennel and Weis both did a better job of maximizing talent.

McDaniels and Patricia, for the most part have had the luxury of superior talent in NE, and when they didn't (2011, 2013, etc.) the team got by from Brady carrying them, not because the coaching staff got the team to overachieve.  

I thought you guys had some pretty good talent in 2011 on offense.  Gronk, Hernandez, Wes Welker, Deion Branch and some solid running backs.  Your defense was putrid, but they got like 35 takeaways.  I think they were top three in the league.  

May work with more talent, but I still like McDaniels.

18 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I thought you guys had some pretty good talent in 2011 on offense.  Gronk, Hernandez, Wes Welker, Deion Branch and some solid running backs.  Your defense was putrid, but they got like 35 takeaways.  I think they were top three in the league.  

May work with more talent, but I still like McDaniels.

The defense getting those takeaways should be accredited to the coaches, though. The secondary that year featured McCourty being forced into playing CB (where he regressed) with a few safety looks, Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore, Patrick Chung (when he sucked), and some Julian Edelman/Matthew Slater playing DB. 

The offense had a good OL, but the talent stopped with Welker (only a slot WR), Gronk, and Hernandez. Woodhead was reliable but not a world beater. BJGE was mediocre at best. Branch wasn't someone to be relied on. 

I think Pats fans view 2011 as perhaps the most talentless roster the team has had in recent memory. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

The defense getting those takeaways should be accredited to the coaches, though. The secondary that year featured McCourty being forced into playing CB (where he regressed) with a few safety looks, Kyle Arrington, Sterling Moore, Patrick Chung (when he sucked), and some Julian Edelman/Matthew Slater playing DB. 

The offense had a good OL, but the talent stopped with Welker (only a slot WR), Gronk, and Hernandez. Woodhead was reliable but not a world beater. BJGE was mediocre at best. Branch wasn't someone to be relied on. 

I think Pats fans view 2011 as perhaps the most talentless roster the team has had in recent memory. 

Maybe on defense and wide out, but like I said, they still had a crap ton of takeaways and Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez are anything but talentless.  Gronk broke records that year.  I don't watch the Pats as closely as their fans, but I would consider 2013 worse than 2011 by a decent margin.  2011 isn't a team I would consider devoid of talent.

Much like the Packers that year who went 15-1 with a crap defense that got a metric ton of takeaways, or 2009 Saints who had a bad defense that got a metric ton of takeaways.  Takeaways can make a bad defense great, especially when the teams have an offense that can take advantage of the field position.

Archived